The Young Pope (Sky/HBO/Canal Plus)

AncalagonTheBlack

2 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

That was one of my frustrations with the series early on. I also wasn't sure in the beginning if I was supposed to regard him as Kevin Spacey in House of Cards (a master manipulator) or as someone mentioned earlier, more of a Don Draper from Mad Men. By the last few episodes though, I think he was more the latter. 

Over all I think the series did a great job of giving Lenny a real arc. He was finally acting like the Holy FATHER in those last few episodes.

Agreed. That is probably my favorite episode overall. It's just so beautifully written and shot. 

I made the Don Draper comparison and at the end I really liked him. I'd want to be him more than Don, at least he had Sister Mary, Cardinal Spencer and Andrew, Don was just lonely. He grew so much. I loved the moment in the eighth or ninth episode when he rang the bell and told the security/serving people that he loved them all. Or him forgiving the fat Cardinal that he sent to Alaska or the moment with the author.  

On 2/16/2017 at 8:59 PM, Martini Sigil said:

This was a fun watch....It was.... weird, I guess is the best word I can find to describe it... and I like these one season shows... I liked this more than the Night of .... Jude Law is really a spectacular actor...

Agreed about Law being a great actor--I said it before and I'll say it again, this is his best work. I also dug this more than The Night Of, which was pretty damn good. 

On 2/16/2017 at 11:20 PM, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I made the Don Draper comparison and at the end I really liked him. I'd want to be him more than Don, at least he had Sister Mary, Cardinal Spencer and Andrew, Don was just lonely. He grew so much. I loved the moment in the eighth or ninth episode when he rang the bell and told the security/serving people that he loved them all. Or him forgiving the fat Cardinal that he sent to Alaska or the moment with the author.  

Good comparison with Lenny and Don. Both are smokers, middle-aged men stuck in their ways, have a singular vision, are ambitious, successful in their professions, and perhaps what makes them most similar are their parent issues and the seemingly bottomless hole that creates within them.  But did Lenny really change into the man he was at the end? I think it was more of a final step towards who he was always meant to be. (He seemed to soften on his stance of homosexuals in the priesthood.) If we're to believe the "mythology" of he series and what Sister Mary believed about Lenny, then he's always been destined to be not only the pope but also a saint. Always a holy man. He just let power cloud his judgement and of course lost his faith there for a bit. But but it seemed like he truly regained his faith at the end of the episode. 

5 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Agreed about Law being a great actor--I said it before and I'll say it again, this is his best work. I also dug this more than The Night Of, which was pretty damn good. 

Good comparison with Lenny and Don. Both are smokers, middle-aged men stuck in their ways, have a singular vision, are ambitious, successful in their professions, and perhaps what makes them most similar are their parent issues and the seemingly bottomless hole that creates within them.  But did Lenny really change into the man he was at the end? I think it was more of a final step towards who he was always meant to be. (He seemed to soften on his stance of homosexuals in the priesthood.) If we're to believe the "mythology" of he series and what Sister Mary believed about Lenny, then he's always been destined to be not only the pope but also a saint. Always a holy man. He just let power cloud his judgement and of course lost his faith there for a bit. But but it seemed like he truly regained his faith at the end of the episode. 

That's a good question honestly.  I think it's more like he was always that person. I think he needed people to challenge him the way Guitierrez did to make him see he was wrong. To put a face on it if you will. I'm glad he seemed to find it by the end, I'm glad he helped Spencer too. They had such a complicated father son relationship. 

I mostly enjoyed it. It kinda reminded me of John From Cincinnati.  

On 1/31/2017 at 0:06 AM, Astromech said:

I could watch an entire season of just Voiello :)

Yes. He was so great. I went in expecting him to be the antagonist and I'm glad it wasn't that simple.

1 hour ago, Triskan said:

So I'd originally assumed this was a one-and-done mini-series but then thought I'd hear it had already been extended to a second season.  Anyone know for sure?

I was quite surprised by how much I liked this.  

Yeah, they're making a second season. Sorrentino may not have time to direct all the episodes though. Plus it probably won't air until 2019. I'm not sure why HBO called it a limited series. Apparently season two was confirmed before it even aired in Europe. 

• 2 months later...

HBO and Sky will follow 'The Young Pope' with 'The New Pope'

Lenny Belardo, the tormented American pontiff played by Jude Law in Paolo Sorrentino’s “The Young Pope,” is pope no more.

HBO and Sky have teamed up on “The New Pope,” a new limited series to be directed by Sorrentino that will not be a second season of “The Young Pope.” The show will be “set in the world of the modern papacy,” but HBO and Sky declined to release further details of the story.

The screenplay for “The New Pope” is being written by Sorrentino (pictured) and his frequent Italian co-writer Umberto Contarello, who was also a co-writer on “Young Pope,” according to a brief statement issued by HBO and Sky.

Plans are for “The New Pope” to go into production in Italy in late 2018. Casting for the show, including the title role, will start soon, the statement said.

The big question, of course, is whether Lenny Belardo is dead. Sources say that a reappearance by Law in “The New Pope,” albeit in a much smaller role, has not been ruled out.

Archived