New Anniversary editions

Glodowski125

I have seen a copy of the US edition yesterday in a bookstore. The book looked ok, but I did not like the fact that the cover is directly printed on the boards without a dust jacket. Looks cheap to me. 

Otherwise, it looks good, paperquality-wise and the illustrations looks good too, but most of them are culled from already existing artwork, so there is not much that is new.

But this is rather a mass-market edition than a true collector´s item.

And it is a far cry from the quality of the recent Harry Potter illustrated editions or the Alan Lee Lord of the Rings.

The UK ones seem to be similar to the US editions, i.e., just OK, no dust jacket, but the paper is usual UK quality, which is ( or seems) worse than the US editions. It needs more full colour pages.  Marc Simonetti's throne should have been in colour!! I'm getting one of the GRRM box ones, so won't bother buying one of these as well.  Hope the quality is better on those.  I think it would have been nice to have commissioned some new work from Jim Burns and Stephen Youll to put in there as well (perhaps on a dustjacket?).  :) 

I like the book. It is what it is... an anniversary hardcover for the masses. This is meant for those fans who can't get or afford the specialty limited editions. I think they did a good job for the price of the book. I'm sure it would have been cost prohibitive to commission new art from Jim or Stephen, although that would have been awesome! I'm actually surprised there are so many color plates! The illustrative boards are along the lines of the recent releases like the World and Map books.

On another note, I bought two copies, one from VJ Books that has a tipped in sheet with signature in a gray box and one from Jean Cocteau with a signature on the title page... which would you keep?

Becca, I'd keep the Jean Cocteau copy! Just got mine from the Jean Cocteau myself.

And have a UK (un-signed) copy coming from amazon, it will be fun to compare side by side.

Great way to get the feel of an illustrated limited at a fraction of the price, one you can read without loosing too much value on the book!

• 7 months later...

Archived