Mathematicians vs. Philosophers: Cage Match

maarsen

20 minutes ago, The Mance said:

Do those studies correct for the increased chance of remembering the intent to act after such a pointed declaration the night before, or do they just attribute success to increased resolve?

I'm not a psychologist, so I'm not really qualified to parse their literature, but I think it's more like the "if" event the goal is linked to primes the memory of the "then" resolution, so more like the first way you suggested. There's a wiki on it if you want to poke around there and see or pull some references; I probably wouldn't take my word for it. 

What do you think the implications are?

5 hours ago, Ariadne23 said:

What do you think the implications are?

I'm not a psychologist either, but there is a whole lot of shit I'd like to do if only I could remember that I need/want/should to do it, in the moment that it's relevant.

The wiki seems to be all about resolve focusing and intent reenforcement.  Which is fine, as I'm sure that's a big part of the problem that people have with following through on goals or life changes or whatev.  I just think that memory, at least for me, plays a big role, too.  

To use your avocado breakfast example, there is no amount of sincere resolve to start eating healthier breakfasts that would show half the results of simply leaving an avocado on the counter by the toaster where i prep my usual bagel and cream cheese in the morning.  

So now I'm wondering if the act of pointedly declaring a specific if/then intent doesn't just act as its own sort of memory jog when the subject finds themselves in that situation.  Like tying a string around your finger.

I think it is like tying a string around your finger, i.e., I think you've got it. As far as talking about what consciousness means, aren't you more conscious of whatever it was you wanted to remember for tying that string? A lot of psychology is concerned with quantifying perfectly obvious shit, but in a way that is useful for our consciousness discussion. And again, thanks for bringing it into the realm of the future.

Archived