nah

Boarders Writing a Novel Part 15

How goes everyone's (anyone's?) writing projects?  This thread has been quiet for a while :/

My fantasy novel, Thorns of a Black Rose, has just survived the editing process at my publisher, Elsewhen Press, and the next step is the proofreading. The cover's still to be decided. No formal release date yet, but I believe it will be the summer for the ebook and October for paperback. Hopefully at Fantasycon in Glasgow, which is handy as it's near me. :)

The setting is based on northern Africa, the characters native to that continent. It's set initially in the ancient city of Mask, capital of the Maskan Theocracy. Morocco and Egypt were inspirations, the city largely inspired by Marrakesh but lying alongside a Nile-like river that makes it a key player in world trade. The main characters are Tamira (a young thief living on the streets of Mask), Shukara (a sorceress from the distant south on a long quest), and Jassan (a desert ranger, his tribe a blend of the Berber people and the bush people of Africa).  In a sense its an African Hobbit, only with Aragon instead of the dwarves. And no dragon.

It's standalone, but also serves as introduction to my fantasy series, (provisionally called The Bone King). The first book in that series, The Blood Hour, was started prior to Thorns, and is a third through the first draft. I hope to return to it later this year or the start of next year.

To promote Thorns of a Black Rose, I'm writing a few short stories I'll release for free to hopefully drum up some interest.

My main project right now is the sequel to Resurrection Men, provisionally called Ashwood though that may change. I'm getting close to the end of the first draft, having made a lot of progress recently. I hope to have it done before year's end and submitted to my publisher for consideration. Meanwhile I'm spending a lot of time trying to promote Resurrection Men to gather an audience for the series.

Congratulations!!! Hope to see it on the shelves soon.

4 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

How goes everyone's (anyone's?) writing projects?  This thread has been quiet for a while :/

My fantasy novel, Thorns of a Black Rose, has just survived the editing process at my publisher, Elsewhen Press, and the next step is the proofreading. The cover's still to be decided. No formal release date yet, but I believe it will be the summer for the ebook and October for paperback. Hopefully at Fantasycon in Glasgow, which is handy as it's near me. :)

The setting is based on northern Africa, the characters native to that continent. It's set initially in the ancient city of Mask, capital of the Maskan Theocracy. Morocco and Egypt were inspirations, the city largely inspired by Marrakesh but lying alongside a Nile-like river that makes it a key player in world trade. The main characters are Tamira (a young thief living on the streets of Mask), Shukara (a sorceress from the distant south on a long quest), and Jassan (a desert ranger, his tribe a blend of the Berber people and the bush people of Africa).  In a sense its an African Hobbit, only with Aragon instead of the dwarves. And no dragon.

It's standalone, but also serves as introduction to my fantasy series, (provisionally called The Bone King). The first book in that series, The Blood Hour, was started prior to Thorns, and is a third through the first draft. I hope to return to it later this year or the start of next year.

To promote Thorns of a Black Rose, I'm writing a few short stories I'll release for free to hopefully drum up some interest.

My main project right now is the sequel to Resurrection Men, provisionally called Ashwood though that may change. I'm getting close to the end of the first draft, having made a lot of progress recently. I hope to have it done before year's end and submitted to my publisher for consideration. Meanwhile I'm spending a lot of time trying to promote Resurrection Men to gather an audience for the series.

Excellent news and congrats. Your N.African inspired fantasy has piqued my interest. Keep us all posted, i loved RM and happy to keep supporting your writing with my meagre financial contributions

Posted (edited)

Very cool, sounds great!

On 5/9/2019 at 12:39 PM, Derfel Cadarn said:

Yeah unfortunately my writing life has been totally dormant for a while. I've been very mentally drained with my PhD, and also my latest round of querying went really terribly. This was frustrating as my previous manuscript seemed Really Close--I had a good request rate, some complimentary rejections, etc. I really thought it was within grasp--and then just basically nothing for my current manuscript. So I'm feeling really, really defeated. I just don't think I'm good enough (or lucky enough?) for trad pub, and I don't think I have the right skillset for self pub, and so I'm just left with a lifelong goal that's turning to dust in my hands.

Ah well. That's life, innit. At the moment, I'm just hoping that someday I'll want to write again, so I'm trying not to pressure myself. If I am up for it, I'll probably try to give my most recent manuscript a readthrough to see if I can make any changes before querying some more. I've decided to scrap the project I most recently started, for now. I still like the premise, but it wasn't really working. And I have some ideas of what I want to do next, but nothing on paper yet.

Edited by Starkess

Posted (edited)

Fantasy writers: how to you begin your world building? Do you plan everything out thoroughly, rough plan, or just 'wing it' and see where it takes you? 

Edited by Kafka's Coat

On 5/21/2019 at 1:23 AM, Kafka's Coat said:

Fantasy writers: how to you begin your world building? Do you plan everything out thoroughly, rough plan, or just 'wing it' and see where it takes you? 

People do these things differently.

Personally, I think Karl Marx of all people is actually quite useful here. Start with the economic foundations of the world - how are things produced? What social classes arise from that? - then think about how this impacts the attitudes, culture, and political structure of the society based on that foundation.

Got back into writing my next short story this week (though I haven't edited or tried publishing the previous ones yet) but its going super slow (like a 100-200 words a day). Is that normal or am I just a hopeless perfectionist who lacks self-confidence when it comes to the ideas I'm most passionate about?

On 5/22/2019 at 6:35 AM, The Marquis de Leech said:

People do these things differently.

Personally, I think Karl Marx of all people is actually quite useful here. Start with the economic foundations of the world - how are things produced? What social classes arise from that? - then think about how this impacts the attitudes, culture, and political structure of the society based on that foundation.

I like that approach. Suppose you could also do it from the perspective of climate and geomorphology? Coastal settlements/cultures/civilisations might have a more defensive outlook due to being raided? 

26 minutes ago, The Grey Wolf said:

Got back into writing my next short story this week (though I haven't edited or tried publishing the previous ones yet) but its going super slow (like a 100-200 words a day). Is that normal or am I just a hopeless perfectionist who lacks self-confidence when it comes to the ideas I'm most passionate about?

Okay so I'm not a published author, and my only attempt at writing was last summer/autumn when I wrote a 10,000 word short story. I think I averaged about what you're averaging. It bugged me because I felt that I wasn't t making any progress, but that was just the writing pace I had. 

The best outlook to have is to just concentrate on yourself. Writing a thousand words a day would be great, but what's important is to just write. "Get your story down on a piece of paper," is what my brother told me, and to just forget about how long it takes. 

Anyone know of reviewers accepting books for review? I've found a few willing to review my novels (and got good reviews) but most established ones only seen interested in the 'big names'. 

I have a few paperback copies but would prefer to keep them for bigger/mainstream reviewer due to the cost. My publisher can prepare e-arcs (individually 'watermarked').

I'm still looking for reviewers for ny gothic historical fantasy Resurrection men, but will also soon be lookkng for reviewers for my forthcoming fantasy novel, Thorns of a Black Rose.