Let's Get Kraken

Boarders Writing a Novel Part 15

Sorry no link as on my phone but Unsung Stories are also doing open submissions from 29 Jan.  Nothing on their site yet but i got an email.

Elsewhen Press are also accepting submissikns at this time.

I've two novels I wish to submit.  They dont specifiy any limit which some publishers and most agents do ie one at a time.  Some publishers just ask thet thr novels are submitted separately which I think I'll do.

I'm getting back into writing fiction as my dissertation wraps up (fiction has proven to be a great stress-reliever), and decided to dust off this old account. Hello everyone!

One of my short stories was shortlisted for Grimdark Magazine but didn't make the final cut. Getting that far in a professional-pay magazine is pretty satisfying though, and the editors were kind enough to personalize their responses.

I turned around and submitted it to another ezine, and was shocked to see an email the next day saying it has already been shortlisted. I suppose these are good omens?

On another note: does anyone know of a good place to submit historical fiction short stories, aside from Copperfield Review? The market seems very small. Should I just go for literary mags?

Edited by Of the Eastern Cliff

My Lucifer's Star, Wraith Knight, and Straight Outta Fangton novels are now available on Kindle Unlimited. I don't expect them to blow up but I hope it'll add to the review core.

This is probably old-hat information to most people in this thread, but for people to whom the publishing industry is a bit of a mystery, I have written a blog post about it:

https://phuulishfellow.wordpress.com/2018/02/04/traditional-publishing-vs-self-publishing-vs-the-crooks/

On 21/01/2018 at 8:03 AM, Of the Eastern Cliff said:

On another note: does anyone know of a good place to submit historical fiction short stories, aside from Copperfield Review? The market seems very small. Should I just go for literary mags?

I checked on duotrope, and the market for short historical fiction appears confined to a couple of places, plus school-orientated magazines. 

If you aren't too averse to a bit of market-driven tinkering, perhaps you could take your historical fiction, and add a small dose of fantasy, a la Guy Gavriel Kay? That way you'd greatly expand the number of places you could send your work to.

Edited by Roose Boltons Pet Leech

Anybody else try out the Snowflake Method? I've always had a hard time with plot, but after spending a month using the SFM, I've got to say I'm very, very happy with what I've come up with. Now I'm writing the first draft and just having a blast. Now that the only thing I have to worry about is the scene I'm writing, the work goes by much faster. I have a spreadsheet with every single scene in the novel listed out, and at a glance I can work out pacing, when to foreshadow, when I need to add more conflict, etc. Everything is so much easier.

Finished off another 3800-word story to decent second draft stage. This one might actually be the most depraved thing I have ever written (apart from the Dobby/Gollum/Yoda fanfic), and is basically a disturbing retelling of the Good King Wenceslas story. 

10 minutes ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

Finished off another 3800-word story to decent second draft stage. This one might actually be the most depraved thing I have ever written (apart from the Dobby/Gollum/Yoda fanfic), and is basically a disturbing retelling of the Good King Wenceslas story. 

If you happen to need a beta reader...

22 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Got an email this morning from Elsewhen Press offering to publish my first novel :D

Is this Resurrection Men?

Congratulations! You've been trying so damn hard!

3 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

Is this Resurrection Men?

Congratulations! You've been trying so damn hard!

Yes its Resurrection Men, and your feedback 18 months ago no doubt helped improve it. Ironically an agent I sent it to months ago sent a rejection email yesterday.

Samples of my fantasy novel Thorns of a Black Rose is currently sitting with x2 publishers doing open subs, and an agent. Fingers crossed I can find a buyer for it too.

Meanwhile time to finish Res Men's sequel plan and start writing it.

On 2/28/2018 at 4:22 AM, Derfel Cadarn said:

Got an email this morning from Elsewhen Press offering to publish my first novel :D

Great News!  Congratulations!