Let's Get Kraken

Boarders Writing a Novel Part 15

Just seen the cover of Resurrection Men, and it's looking good :)

RPBL's very helpful readthrough and feedback from 2016 seems to have caught most of the remainibg errors, as the editing went quickly with minimal changes. I'm about to get it back from the proofreader, a fresh pair of eyes to catch anything myself or the editor missed. So fingers crossed should be out as an ebook soon, followed few months later in print.

I'm still trying to find a publisher for my fantasy novel Thorns of Black Rose, set in a north Africa based setting.  If anyone is interested in reading it and offering any feedback, I'd be very grateful. It's 75k words, and if requested can be sent in a single spaced version that can be easily uploaded to kindle.

Posted (edited)

Working on the third draft of my urban fantasy (tweenish? For around age 10 or higher) novel 'Balorrate'. A kind of fantasy mirror of the real world rather than the real world + supernatural elements. Ie the city of Ballarat but in a fantasy frame. Which is an Australian rural city so that might be a bit obscure here - maybe I should have written a fantasy mirror version of Melbourne, since that's a little tiny bit more on the radar. By mirror an example of what I mean is instead of having cars, what fills the street are spectral horses pulling carts, their essence drawn from the great equine wells and carted across the landscape to fuel the commerce these long dead horses now empower. A fantasy echo of the real world rather than the real world with supernatural added in.

The story is of a boy whose parents are abducted by the titular Balor, and he must find out where they have been taken and against all odds, rescue them!

Edited by Callan S.

1. Wondering if woman starts a rebellion because her sister won't save her child, after using the supposed banned technique to save another child is too similar to woman turning everyone against her brothers and sisters because they took her to a far away land away from her children?
That's where I'm currently at.

My novel Resurrection Men (Sooty Feathers book 1) now has a release date!  31 August as ebook, 22 October as paperback.  The ebook is now available for pre-order.  

https://elsewhen.press/index.php/2018/08/secret-society-covers-up-gruesome-murders-in-glasgow/

I'll post more in the self-promotion thread with additional links and info.

Posted (edited)

With my first novel forthcoming, can anyone recommend any good bloggers/review sites I can contact with a view to sending an ARC for review?

Edited by Derfel Cadarn

I got a rejection letter off an agent, who I won't name drop here. But it was a personal rejection letter rather than a uniform one. Should I reply to it? Even if it is to say thanks for your consideration?

1 hour ago, Andrew Gilfellon said:

I got a rejection letter off an agent, who I won't name drop here. But it was a personal rejection letter rather than a uniform one. Should I reply to it? Even if it is to say thanks for your consideration?

I wouldn't, as its just one more email clogging their inbox, unless theyve said anything inviting a reply

With my first novel, Resurrection Men, published (ebook for now, paperback in October) I'm currently working through the sequel, which I'd held off on until I found a publisher for Res Men.  Progress has been slower than planned, with only one chapter done in the past few months due to re-planning the novel and tightening the plot, despite some good progress early on.  I'm currently about 20k words through it.

Meanwhile I'm trying to find an agent or publisher for my fantasy novel, set in an African-inspired setting.  

Latest short story finished and sent off. It's a gender-flipped version of Bluebeard, as set in the Chicago of 1930. I am honestly not sure how to categorise it beyond "fairy tale Dieselpunk," since there is actually no speculative element to it. 

Finally got around to finishing and editing Pink Unicorns Solvable in O(2) Time, my 4700-word first foray into hard science-fiction. 

Also, after two years, finally worked out the way forward with a revise and resubmit request on Gone Fishing, my Turkish horror story.

It's been a productive few days in the writing department.

Edited by The Marquis de Leech

And another one, a 2350 word piece set in a far-future Chernobyl, entitled In the Land of the Elephant's Footprint. My plan is to let this one sit for a bit before sending it in - I'm not completely happy with the flow.

But, yes, a very productive week...

10 minutes ago, The Lasr Storm said:

curious, does anyone else feel they are more creative after smoking weed? 

Yup.

Am I more productive after smoking weed? Probably not.

:hat:

Edited by Spockydog

7 minutes ago, The Lasr Storm said:

curious, does anyone else feel they are more creative after smoking weed? 

Sure. Carl Sagan used to say he'd get his best theories after smoking half a joint and taking a shower. Weed is great for shaking loose the mental cobwebs or coming at a story element from a new angle. I wouldn't try writing while high though. 10/1 you'll either pass out in front of a blank screen, or wind up with a bunch of nonsensical gibberish that you thought was profound and deep when you were stoned.

9 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Yup.

Am I more productive after smoking weed? Probably not.

:hat:

6 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Sure. Carl Sagan used to say he'd get his best theories after smoking half a joint and taking a shower. Weed is great for shaking loose the mental cobwebs or coming at a story element from a new angle. I wouldn't try writing while high though. 10/1 you'll either pass out in front of a blank screen, or wind up with a bunch of nonsensical gibberish that you thought was profound and deep when you were stoned.

i swear, ive jotted down some stuff after a couple hits of medical grade stuff and i feel like one day there will be a website dedicated to it

Edited by The Lasr Storm

So with beta readers, what's people's experience with that when you first do so? Ie, the potential issue of everyone thinking they are a fully qualified critic and suddenly coming down hard on your work when they've really only an opinion and one that maybe a majority of readers might not share. So how do you brave that while feeling what if they are right but also what if there's nothing to it AND you need to be polite about your responce?

12 hours ago, The Lasr Storm said:

i swear, ive jotted down some stuff after a couple hits of medical grade stuff and i feel like one day there will be a website dedicated to it

Been there. Showing such jottings to sober beta readers will dissuade you of that notion right quick.

Edited by Let's Get Kraken

My friend and I were talking about novels and novel writing and together we came up with some points that decide on if your project isn't going to work. I just thought I would share them here for people interested.

1. You've lived with the characters too long.

You've been writing this dream project for 12+ years and haven't gotten to the end of it yet. It's bordering on OCD. Finish this and you'll start a new project. But it isn't that easy. You've dreamed these characters, you've thought about them, you're TOO connected to them. Every idea you now have is an idea that is so awesome for these characters even though it works better in a different setting. Every idea is a (insert character name here) idea. You want to be known for THESE characters even though that side character is probably going to be the one who gets a fan club because everyone reads differently.

2. Planning is bad and also not planning is bad.

You don't like planning, or outlining because  it stifles your creativity and you feel like the story is already written because its an outline. You decide not to plan and just wing it, because you're a pantser. You have the idea in your head, you know where everyone is going and how they get there. You're onto book 2 but wait....you've spent so much time on the first's plot that everything fizzles out come book two. You also don't have a clear enough image of how to get to the end and you're determined to make everyone's motivations make sense even though they don't have to because people make sense. Sometimes a character doesn't need more motivation than wanting to kill that guy for insulting him, he doesn't need to have a justifiable reason. 

3. The world isn't really a world.

Yes you may have a clear image of main dude number one and love interest number 3000, and yes you have the world image in your head, but as soon as you write past what you know, the world suddenly becomes barren and uninteresting. You really haven't thought about this country or that country even though you mention and feature certain people from them. Your world is ideas rather than a world. It doesn't have to be super detailed like Prince of Nothing or Malazan, but you should have more than a mish mash of ideas.

4. You're too influenced by others.

Yes you have a story and yes you have a world and characters and 1000 years of history, but you've been influenced too much by other people.  You've got a desert city because you've read Twelve Kings. You've got gunpowder and tricorn hats. You've got African type tribes because you don't wanna be called a racist for not having black people in your world, but you don't know enough about them and they could still easily pass as white that you probably will be called a racist. Also, having them call years summers is not authentication but silliness.  Changing the names of two characters in one storyline and it's a LOST fanfiction. Imitation is a form of flattery, but not when you yourself can clearly see the parallels between the two medias. One character is a copy of someone elses character and storyline even though he was a boy and yours is a girl. The fact is, the reason she seems lost come book 2 is because her storyline is copied from anothers and doesn't fit in with your own story. She's not a nail to be forced into a hole.  You're also influenced to make your world seem realistic and in keeping with 19th century time periods even though your original story wasn't based on any time period, and THAT'S WHY it seems so odd that people have early forms of automobiles but your mercenary guys are still travelling with horses and swords while everyone else has guns.

5. You're trying too hard.

You've given your character too much motivation.  Yes, having lost a sister is sad and all, but you don't then need to add on several layers of motivation on top of that. Looking for sister because she feels guilty over abandoning her and seeks forgiveness is enough. If a character has a lot of reasons to being involved in the story, or there is a lot going on that it seems those other ideas and motivations would be enough for another story then you need to reivaluate. Also, throwing everything but the kitchen sink into a story is not maing the world detailed and complex. It's probably the reason you're never going to write another book.