U.S. Elections: 9,444 days

lokisnow

So last night Trump said that if Clinton is elected, she could let over 650,000,000 immigrants into the country:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-says-hillary-clinton-could-let-650-million-new-immigrants-into-u-s/

WTF?

24 minutes ago, BloodRider said:

You need to turn off Sports Center.  :D

Jace IS SportsCenter!

9 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

Yes!  

Yay!

Also, to anyone naive enough to not think this bullshit Comey did wasn't timed to be now, lets look at how the FBI has had the laptop for several weeks. Yet he just waits until Friday to say something about it? Please. He wanted to show the right wing he is still one of them and not being soft on Clinton so he sent letter inoculating himself from any further accusations of being in cahoots with her. It was a selfish, irresponsible and careless move. He should no longer have a job with the FBI.

Comey can go fuck himself along with every republican and apologist for their and his behavior over this email bullshit.

Comey did not act appropriately at all, but the more reporting there's been the more it sounds like he was in a very tough spot; albeit one mostly of his own making

Still more troubling is the information contained in this just released article in The Wall Street Journal by Devlin Barrett. It describes what the article describes as a feud within the FBI and between the FBI and the Department of Justice over the Clinton probe. It now seems clear that what are essentially rogue FBI agents have been looking for all sorts of different angles to pursue investigations of Hillary Clinton and her family. Indeed, they've presented their evidence to career public corruption prosecutors at DOJ and been told they don't have anything. But it hasn't stopped. They clearly were not happy with the decision in the emails probe even though Comey said not even a close call.

This seems to be the backstory of what happened on Friday. Agents pushing for more aggressive investigations on various fronts, Comey fearing he'd be blamed after the fact for not notifying Congress in the letter he sent and specifically being afraid that some of these agents would leak news of the possibly new Huma Abedin emails to Congress. These are not fun situations to be in, I am sure. But they are ones an FBI Director should, indeed must, be willing to stand up to.

Comey didn't want a leak and didn't want to be blamed, so he released this letter. I also saw another report, which I can't find now, that Comey didn't even know about these new emails until late last week; the agents on the case had sat on them until the last minute.

Comey's letter is bad enough; but it seems like the real scandal here is that there are rogue elements within the FBI that Comey hasn't squashed.

32 minutes ago, Boris the Blade said:

Yay!

Also, to anyone naive enough to not think this bullshit Comey did wasn't timed to be now, lets look at how the FBI has had the laptop for several weeks. Yet he just waits until Friday to say something about it? Please. He wanted to show the right wing he is still one of them and not being soft on Clinton so he sent letter inoculating himself from any further accusations of being in cahoots with her. It was a selfish, irresponsible and careless move. He should no longer have a job with the FBI.

Comey can go fuck himself along with every republican and apologist for their and his behavior over this email bullshit.

Comey was appointed by President Obama and filibustered by the Republican Congress.  Why would he do this as a Political attack why would he want to help Trump?

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Comey was appointed by President Obama and filibustered by the Republican Congress.  Why would he do this as a Political attack why would he want to help Trump?

Because only an idiot would handle the situation in the manner in which Comey did  unless it was politically motivated. Comey is the head of the FBI, do you think he's an idiot?

2 minutes ago, Reny of Storms End said:

Because only an idiot would handle the situation in the manner in which Comey did  unless it was politically motivated. Comey is the head of the FBI, do you think he's an idiot?

He has no motivation to try political tricks.  He has every reason to despise the Republicans.  He may have screwed up but I don't believe it was a malicious action on his part.

9 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

He has every reason to despise the Republicans.

I thought he actually was a Republican?

In any case, the evidence that he has 'every reason to despise' them is a bit scanty. He has some reason to dislike Trump and some other individuals within the Republican party, but no more than many of the people endorsing and campaigning for Trump do. Understand: I'm not saying Comey is pro-Trump. I'm sure he's not. But there's no reason to suppose that it's utterly beyond belief that he might have a political motivation here.

5 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What haven't republicans whined about Obama doing?Why would he use this as a political attack? Because he is a Republican and many of them have shown themselves to be party first over country first? How many of them have been shit on by Trump yet still support him? How many whined about Bill Clinton's affairs and possibly being a rapist while supporting someone even worse? How many of them whined about Obama being a communist and too friendly with Russia etc while supporting someone that has ties to Russia, kisses Putin's ass, calls for Russia to hack the US government etc? 

Also, this could not be about helping Trump. It could just be about helping himself and his reputation. 

11 minutes ago, Boris the Blade said:

What haven't republicans whined about Obama doing?Why would he use this as a political attack? Because he is a Republican and many of them have shown themselves to be party first over country first? How many of them have been shit on by Trump yet still support him? How many whined about Bill Clinton's affairs and possibly being a rapist while supporting someone even worse? How many of them whined about Obama being a communist and too friendly with Russia etc while supporting someone that has ties to Russia, kisses Putin's ass, calls for Russia to hack the US government etc? 

Also, this could not be about helping Trump. It could just be about helping himself and his reputation. 

I think he's trying to stay above board.  I think he was trying to head off a leak he would catch shit for and is caught between a rock and a hard place.  A week ago Trumpanistas are calling the man a traitor and accusing him of being in Sec. Clinton's pocket for not recommending indictment while the Clinton camp sings his praises.  

Now to Clinton supporters Comey is Satan and Trumpanistas want the man canonized.  Almost everyone is looking at Comey through tribal colored glasses and it's really sad to see it going down like this.

So are we choosing to ignore, or simply forgetting the ridiculous way in which Comey said no indictment was to take place?  Are we really supposed to pretend that his judgement that Clinton couldn't legitimately be prosecuted didn't come with an unnecessary tongue lashing that didn't really serve any purpose but to still discredit her?

But yeah.... let's forget that and pretend that he's just an 'above board' type of guy who doesn't do political stunts.

37 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Ace,

How did you feel about Comey before Friday?

I'm not Ace but I assume you want to hear from Democratic partisans. I thought Comey's first unusually political press conference, where he announced he didn't think there was anything to prosecute but still wanted to go on the record that Hillary Clinton is a bad person who should be ashamed of herself, was unprofessional but excusable. I didn't have any particular reason to think him stupid or craven. 

Now I think he's a reckless moron who lacks the spine to do his job. Yes, he could be criticized for being political whether he went public or kept quiet until they knew more. But it's long-standing Justice Department practice to keep quiet in the period before the election and he brazenly and ham-fistedly broke with standard practice for no real good reason. He could have at least waited until they knew more before opening his yap, would-be leakers or no.

From the first press conference to the Congressional testimony to this circus of abysmally clueless ass-covering, he's been, at best, a patsy for anti-Clinton agitators. Is no one good at their jobs any more?

And since he's hung out his shingle to opine on political topics, maybe he should update us with his thoughts and feelings on the investigation into the Russians hacking to help get Trump elected. Who cares if he may not have any reliable information to share? That hasn't stopped him before.

7 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I'm not Ace but I assume you want to hear from Democratic partisans. I thought Comey's first unusually political press conference, where he announced he didn't think there was anything to prosecute but still wanted to go on the record that Hillary Clinton is a bad person who should be ashamed of herself, was unprofessional but excusable. I didn't have any particular reason to think him stupid or craven. 

Now I think he's a reckless moron who lacks the spine to do his job. Yes, he could be criticized for being political whether he went public or kept quiet until they knew more. But it's long-standing Justice Department practice to keep quiet in the period before the election and he brazenly and ham-fistedly broke with standard practice for no real good reason. He could have at least waited until they knew more before opening his yap, would-be leakers or no.

From the first press conference to the Congressional testimony to this circus of abysmally clueless ass-covering, he's been, at best, a patsy for anti-Clinton agitators. Is no one good at their jobs any more?

And since he's hung out his shingle to opine on political topics, maybe he should update us with his thoughts and feelings on the investigation into the Russians hacking to help get Trump elected. Who cares if he may not have any reliable information to share? That hasn't stopped him before.

Bam!

11 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I'm not Ace but I assume you want to hear from Democratic partisans. I thought Comet's first unusually political press conference, where he announced he didn't think there was anything to prosecute but still wanted to go on the record that Hillary Clinton is a bad person who should be ashamed of herself, was unprofessional but excusable. I didn't have any particular reason to think him stupid or craven. 

Now I think he's a reckless moron who lacks the spine to do his job. Yes, he could be criticized for being political whether he went public or kept quiet until they knew more. But it's long-standing Justice Department practice to keep quiet in the period before the election and he brazenly and ham-fistedly broke with standard practice for no real good reason. He could have at least waited until they knew more before opening his yap, would-be leakers or no. Is no one good at their jobs any more?

I don't know but being "shitty at his job" isn't the same as being malicously political.

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I don't know but being "shitty at his job" isn't the same as being malicously political.

I don't think he's maliciously political. I think he's allowed himself to become a tool. Some combination of being too in love with his own moral standing, a lack of courage to absorb inevitable criticism, and mistakes already made have led us here.  The first press conference, which was unusual and against well-established norms, led to the show pony testimony before Congress, which led to this.

1 minute ago, DanteGabriel said:

I don't think he's maliciously political. I think he's allowed himself to become a tool. Some combination of being too in love with his own moral standing, a lack of courage to absorb inevitable criticism, and mistakes already made have led us here.  The first press conference, which was unusual and against well-established norms, led to the show pony testimony before Congress, which led to this.

DG,

Perhaps.  I'm just frustrated by the alternating vilifications of the man based upon the political affect of what he happens to say.

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

DG,

Perhaps.  I'm just frustrated by the alternating vilifications of the man based upon the political affect of what he happens to say.

I think the numerous criticisms coming from former law enforcement officials of both parties ought to indicate that Comey has fucked up in a fairly universal way. I hope his dumb ass resigns after this so that his firing for election-tainting incompetence does not, itself, become a political issue.

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

DG,

Think he's being vilified more for breaking years of tradition of interfering in an election, going against the Justice departments recommendations and putting information out there fully knowing it was highly likely to be misused due there being no facts and lots of innuendo. I don't think he did it for partisan reasons but more to cover his own ass and that's just as bad given how little he actually knew at the time of writing that letter.

Archived