U.S. Elections: 9,444 days

lokisnow

5 minutes ago, TheMightyKC said:

They need not be separate! "Let every man be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God."

No, they do.  They really really do.

I've heard at least half a dozen contradictory things in the media, the latest of which is that the FBI didn't have a warrant to even look at the emails. This is really hard to believe as without looking at the emails, it's impossible to determine that Wiener's and Abedin's devices have anything relevant to the Clinton investigation. Other things I've heard is that there are only three emails, there might be thousands, Abedin was using Weiner's laptop, the FBI seized Abedin's phone as well as Weiner's and so on and so forth. I would suggest waiting a bit before judging the FBI.

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

At a certain point, would it not be more rational to just be philanthropic? Cause this is just so needlessly callous and silly that you can't even argue that it was motivated by logical greed. It's almost like he gets off on it.

Just now, Castel said:

At a certain point, would it not be more rational to just be philanthropic? Cause this is just so needlessly callous and silly that you can't even argue that it was motivated by logical greed. It's almost like he gets off on it.

He wants the publicity without having to actually shell out. It's really kind of sad. Kudos for the Washington Post for calling him out on it.

3 minutes ago, Altherion said:

I've heard at least half a dozen contradictory things in the media, the latest of which is that the FBI didn't have a warrant to even look at the emails. This is really hard to believe as without looking at the emails, it's impossible to determine that Wiener's and Abedin's devices have anything relevant to the Clinton investigation. Other things I've heard is that there are only three emails, there might be thousands, Abedin was using Weiner's laptop, the FBI seized Abedin's phone as well as Weiner's and so on and so forth. I would suggest waiting a bit before judging the FBI.

I would agree but so far in less than 24 hours Comey releases a second letter where he states this could be a big nothing, then it is revealed the DOJ and the WH were given no prior warning, and he has yet to clarify with all these rumors of 3 to 10,000 emails to this not even involving Hillary, what is happening. So no this "no warrant" story is definitely fitting a pattern 

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

He wants the publicity without having to actually shell out. It's really kind of sad. Kudos for the Washington Post for calling him out on it.

Oh,sure, I get that. 

But still, bringing a fake million dollars to an event and then donating $200 is just...fucking absurd. It's needlessly so. Other lies and exaggerations I can kinda buy, that one is just a bit ridiculous and seems like it would be of minimal benefit if not outright harm you.

4 minutes ago, TheMightyKC said:

Sorry, but what does a chess club need more than $200 for? Helmets and chess pads? LOL

You'd think if Trump were really in cahoots with the Russians, he would care MORE about chess teams. Think about that.

travel expense.  read the article?

3 minutes ago, Castel said:

Oh,sure, I get that. 

But still, bringing a fake million dollars to an event and then donating $200 is just...fucking absurd. It's needlessly so. Other lies and exaggerations I can kinda buy, that one is just a bit ridiculous and seems like it would be of minimal benefit if not outright harm you.

He's an odd dude, no doubt. Pretty dysfunctional in a number of different ways, so it seems. 

5 minutes ago, TheMightyKC said:

Sorry, but what does a chess club need more than $200 for? Helmets and chess pads?

It's usually for travel. There are very few chess tournaments in most places -- even New York City does not have that many. Also, the national tournaments are held in different cities across the country. When I was in high school, that was our big expense. The three years that I participated, they were in Los Angeles, Sioux Falls (South Dakota) and Kansas City. A school that wants to compete has to pay for round trip flights for at least 4 players plus at least one adult as well as hotel rooms for 4 days or so. Tricking school children is kind of a mean thing to do.

1 minute ago, Altherion said:

It's usually for travel. There are very few chess tournaments in most places -- even New York City does not have that many. Also, the national tournaments are held in different cities across the country. When I was in high school, that was our big expense. The three years that I participated, they were in Los Angeles, Sioux Falls (South Dakota) and Kansas City. A school that wants to compete has to pay for round trip flights for at least 4 players plus at least one adult as well as hotel rooms for 4 days or so. Tricking school children is kind of a mean thing to do.

Kansas City? I'd rather eat an entire... army? array? of chess pieces than go to Kansas City. I'd pay a million dollars to not go to Kansas City.

2 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Kansas City? I'd rather eat an entire... army? array? of chess pieces than go to Kansas City. I'd pay a million dollars to not go to Kansas City.

It's usually called a "set" of chess pieces and I'm not sure what you have against Kansas City. Coming from NYC, Kansas City felt empty, but not particularly terrible.

Also, to end the chess-related interlude, while it is easy to play chess over the internet, this method has not been used for serious tournaments even at the high school level either today or two decades ago. The reason is that one would need a trusted authority to constantly keep watch on every player to confirm that they are not getting any assistance. Back then, the latter would have been from a better player; today, it is easiest to get it from a computer (grandmaster-level programs that will run on an ordinary computer are now widely available). The way the high school tournaments (and many others) usually work is that for every round all of the players gather in a large room with no computers and many tables with chess boards and don't leave until their match is done. That's why every school has to pay for the travel despite the expense.

Archived