U.S. Elections: 9,444 days

lokisnow

1 minute ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

Even ignoring the.... precedents... I'd suggest that there would have to be a long process of bilateral negotiation to make Texas viable on its own. Unilateral independence - with the associated issues of currency, trade, and defence - would be a headache.

Yes.  That said Texas was a successful independent republic for a decade prior to Annexation.  Peaceful transfers of power after elections and everything.

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Yes.  That said Texas was a successful independent republic for a decade prior to Annexation.  Peaceful transfers of power after elections and everything.

But once you're in. Well, you're in ain't ya? :P

9 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

You have to crash it so that the pieces will fly into the hands of the plebs.

Ya.  This belief that when all the shits on fire that the yokels who agitated at a rally (for anyone) will have a seat at the table when we rebuild is like something out of a Mary Sue YA fantasy novel.  If you are lucky, you will only have to buy and eat the exorbitantly priced soylent green.

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Not at all.  I know what happened last time.

:P It occurs to me I've never stopped in KC, but I've driven through at least 2 or 3 times. Seemed decent I suppose. I just like talking shit.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/10/republican-party-future-donald-trump-214402

How the GOP Can Survive Trump
Win or lose, the Republican nominee has left his party in disarray. Four operatives who worked for his primary opponents forecast the GOP’s future after Nov. 8—from how to calm an irate electorate to what to do about the alt-right.

Richard Painter, who was the White House chief ethics counsel under Bush II from '05-'07, has filed a complaint with the Office of Special Counsel, alleging that Comey's violated the Hatch Act.

I generally ignore Hatch Act violation allegations because it is so rarely actually applicable in the high profile situations where it most often brought up. But if someone like Painter is willing to stick his neck out and actually file the complaint, I'm wondering if it actually might be the case.

Also, Chris Wallace has reported that Anthony Weiner has granted the FBI permission to search the computer without a warrant; so he must think there's nothing there (both in regards to Clinton and for his separate sexting case) and that this can get wrapped up quickly.

35 minutes ago, Fez said:

Richard Painter, who was the White House chief ethics counsel under Bush II from '05-'07, has filed a complaint with the Office of Special Counsel, alleging that Comey's violated the Hatch Act.

I generally ignore Hatch Act violation allegations because it is so rarely actually applicable in the high profile situations where it most often brought up. But if someone like Painter is willing to stick his neck out and actually file the complaint, I'm wondering if it actually might be the case.

Also, Chris Wallace has reported that Anthony Weiner has granted the FBI permission to search the computer without a warrant; so he must think there's nothing there (both in regards to Clinton and for his separate sexting case) and that this can get wrapped up quickly.

Man that says a lot. If someone like Painter is in belief that the Hatch Act was violated by Comey and is willing to file a complaint to the Office of Special Counsel, it's safe to say that it most likely was violated. 

15 minutes ago, Boris the Blade said:

Man that says a lot. If someone like Painter is in belief that the Hatch Act was violated by Comey and is willing to file a complaint to the Office of Special Counsel, it's safe to say that it most likely was violated. 

It's interesting that it is a GWB person making the report.  Isn't Comey an Obama appointee with a reputation as a straight shooter?

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

It's interesting that it is a GWB person making the report.  Isn't Comey an Obama appointee with a reputation as a straight shooter?

Another failed attempt at outreach towards the right.

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

He was also US attorney of SDNY and Deputy Attorney General under Bush. Notably, he threw US Attorney General Gonzalez and White House counsel under the bus on the US attorney firing scandal.

28 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I generally assume that most of these current and former top government lawyers/criminal justice officials/etc. keep in regular contact with each other (they certainly do in the fields I work in). If so, and if they've been talking about this situation and there's widespread agreement that a complaint against Comey is valid, could be they decided it would be taken more seriously if it came from someone who worked in a Republican White House instead of a Democratic one. No one can claim the complaint is just a partisan retaliation.

33 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

29 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Another failed attempt at outreach towards the right.

Yup, could just be another failed attempt at compromise / outreach to the right.

1 minute ago, Fez said:

I generally assume that most of these current and former top government lawyers/criminal justice officials/etc. keep in regular contact with each other (they certainly do in the fields I work in). If so, and if they've been talking about this situation and there's widespread agreement that a complaint against Comey is valid, could be they decided it would be taken more seriously if it came from someone who worked in a Republican White House instead of a Democratic one. No one can claim the complaint is just a partisan retaliation.

Pretty much. I mean it does speak volumes to me given who filed the complaint. 

6 hours ago, Fez said:

It's a tough call, and it may well hinge on what is found before the election. If there is actual indictable evidence, then one could argue that Comey was acting correctly. But if it turns out there's nothing new then he could be in some serious shit.

It is probably in Hillary's interest to get everything out in the open ASAP since any appearance of foot dragging until after the election will only fuel suspicion on the part of those who are still on the fence.

Archived