'Live'' transmissions to cinemas

helenedwards

Not quite sure where to post this, but I wondered if anyone knows what the technical quality standards country ringtones are for live transmissions into cinemas. It seems to me it varies quite a bit. We pay a premium price for these performances and I have an expectation that the technical quality should at least be in line with the best the projector can deliver whether it is 2k or 4k.

I saw 'The Entertainer' (with Kenneth Branagh) live from the Garrick Theatre last week. It was shot instrumental ringtones seemingly only on one panning and zooming camera, which was probably because it is such a small theatre and a very unusual approach. The lighting did not seem to have been adjusted for cameras and the visual result was like watching a DVD. I couldn't fault the sound (except for one brief drop-out) which was excellent with surround channels for the audience response. I have seen much better visual presentations from other venues, samsung ringtones so the capability is out there.

I was told that they usually pre-record another performance of these things which can kick in if a major breakdown occurs. There is obviously a lot of money worldwide riding on these productions. A friend went to see Swan Lake from the Bolshoi in Moscow and a 'swan' took a tumble. Adds to the excitement though.

Archived