Rhaegar’s disappearance

WarriorWitch

A lot of people argue about Lyanna’s disappearance wether she was abducted by Rhaegar or left willingly but nobody really comments on Rhaegars disappearance.  

During the first few months of the war Rhaegar was suspiciously absent reinforcing the idea that Rhaegar was holding Lyanna somewhere. But what if Rhaegar had also been abuducted?

Why would Rhaegar only be missing for the first half of the War? If he was hiding why not hide for the entire war? However if he (and Lyanna) had been taken then that would explain why nobody could contact Lyanna’s family to tell them what was going on.

I don’t believe that Lyanna would leave with Rhaegar willingly considering one of the main reasons for not wanting to marry Robert was because she believed he would not keep to one bed, nor do I believe that she was kidnapped (by Rhaegar).

Rhaegar was described as being dutiful and if he believed that he may have been partially responsible for starting war don’t believe that he would hide away, especially considering he grew up thinking he was TPtwP. I believe that somebody wanted to start a war and Rhaegar and Lyanna were used as scapegoats.  

During AGoT there is an overall story that we are reading about but as we read on we realise that there are people behind the scene pulling all the strings. In Ned and Catelin’s case the mastermind was Littlefinger.  Why should this earlier timeline be any different? It is not straight forward as Lyanna was kidnapped or left willingly. Rhaegar and Lyanna’s disappearance is the surface story

With the coming of the new year, the crown prince had taken to the road with half a dozen of his closest friends and confidants, on a journey that would ultimately lead him back to the riverlands. Not ten leagues from Harrenhal, Rhaegar fell upon Lyanna Stark of Winterfell, and carried her off, lighting a fire that would consume his house and kin and all those he loved—and half the realm besides.

Red) To me that first part sounds like the Kingsguard had taken Rhaegar on a road trip. Maybe he began give up on the prophecy became depressed and needed to get away to clear his head? Maybe Ellia had decided that the needed to separate and wanted to take the kids to live with her brother for a while but because of her failing health he told her to stay in kings landing while he left to give her space? I don’t know but for whatever reason he was on a road trip. Being away from Kings Landing even with had Kingsguards with him I suspect he’d be easier to isolate. Especially if the Kingsguards were just following King Aerys orders.

Blue)What if Lyanna had discovered a plot to abduct Rhaegar and on the night she disappeared rode out to meet with the Kingsguard to warn them but ended up getting caught up in the plan.

Whoever it was behind the plot (knowing that Rhaegar had a thing for Lyanna after the ‘crown of love and beauty’) decides to use Rhaegar and Lyanna as scapegoats.

Rhaegar and Lyanna were found, escaped or were released? Rhaegar ends up at the Trident (maybe he went there in an attempt to explain what actually transpired but ended up getting killed) and Lyanna at the Tower of Joy being guarded by the Kingsguard.

We now know that Rhaegar had six companions when he went into the Riverlands, but only Dayne and Whent disappeared into the South with him and Lyanna. What happened to the other four?  Were they apart of the possible abduction plot?

Benjen and the Nights Watch

Benjen chooses to go to the wall but we don’t actually know why. Some people have speculated that Benjen knew about Rhaegar and Lyanna’s affair, but what if also he discovered the Rhaegar abduction plot and got sent to the wall in an attempt to keep him quiet.  

But if this is the case who would kidnap Rhaegar?

Likely Suspects:

Varys: Varys had been whispering in Mad King Aerys ear for some time and had convinced him that the Tournament was Rhaegars way of gaining allies to over throw him. As a result Aerys decided to travel to watch the tournament (keep an eye on things). He sees the KotLT and declares him an enemy sending Rhaegar to bring him in. (A test that Rhaegar fails) Rhaegar only brings back the shield and armour cementing the idea that Rhaegar is working against him. What else could Varys have whispered to Aerys?  

Aerys: Mad King Aerys thought everybody was out to get him including Rhaegar, he liked to burn people alive, he liked to mess with people and their lives. Aerys comes from a long line of conquerors, Targaryens have a history of starting wars and not just with other kingdoms but within their own family. If Mad King Aerys wanted to start a war for prophecy, because he was mad or just because he wanted to have some fun I’m sure he could do it.

Tywin: Tywin is a strategic thinker, he’s smart and he plays the game like it’s a chess board. Tywin and Aerys had a falling out. He was convinced that Aerys had gotten his wife pregnant but couldn’t prove it. Tywin could have decided that it was time for the Targaryens to step down from the Iron Throne and manipulated the situation.  (In this case I can see Tywin discovering that a young Benjin knows more than he is letting on and convincing him that if he keeps his mouth shut a little longer he could convince Aerys to release Lyanna)    

Anyone have any other suggestions of why Rhaegar was Missing?

Not a bad notion. All I can add is:

What if it was a plot by Dayne, Derry and Hightower for reasons yet unknown? That would be why they remained behind at the tower while Rhaegar went to war: if he tells, they kill her and the child.

What if it turns out that Jon is not Rhaegar's son at all, but, say, Dayne's?

7 hours ago, John Suburbs said:

What if it was a plot by Dayne, Derry and Hightower for reasons yet unknown? That would be why they remained behind at the tower while Rhaegar went to war: if he tells, they kill her and the child.

That is an extremely interesting notion, as is the OP's.

I think "reasons yet unknown" would be the best explanation for any attempt to kidnap Rhaegar and Lyanna and hide them, though. I can't see it being in Aerys's interests, and we just don't know enough about Varys's activities and plans during Aerys's reign.

Tywin is a more likely candidate, but a prosaic one; I feel like whatever secrets there are around Rhaegar and Lyanna, they ought to tie in to the bigger plot arcs, the magical side of things, and so on.

On 11/4/2016 at 6:07 AM, WarriorWitch said:

Why would Rhaegar only be missing for the first half of the War? If he was hiding why not hide for the entire war? However if he (and Lyanna) had been taken then that would explain why nobody could contact Lyanna’s family to tell them what was going on.

Just to play devils advocate, I always thought that Rhaegar was confident that the war wasn't something to worry about. I don't know if this was discussed or if it was just something I assumed, but I thought Rhaegar figured the war was in the bag without his help. Then halfway through it, he realized it was going to be a lot closer of a fight than he expected, so he joined in. 

On 11/11/2016 at 5:12 PM, John Suburbs said:

I'm not really on board with the idea that Rhaegar was a innocent bystander/victim, BUT this is the first alternate explanation of why the KG are at the TOJ that made any sense to me. 

42 minutes ago, Aedam Targaryen said:

Just to play devils advocate, I always thought that Rhaegar was confident that the war wasn't something to worry about. I don't know if this was discussed or if it was just something I assumed, but I thought Rhaegar figured the war was in the bag without his help. Then halfway through it, he realized it was going to be a lot closer of a fight than he expected, so he joined in.

I dunno, wasn't the Tully/Baratheon/Arryn/Stark alliance fixed up pretty early in the war? Plus, Robert won a few battles early in the war IIRC... that's a pretty formidable enemy, the Blackfyres never had so many troops.

5 hours ago, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

I dunno, wasn't the Tully/Baratheon/Arryn/Stark alliance fixed up pretty early in the war? Plus, Robert won a few battles early in the war IIRC... that's a pretty formidable enemy, the Blackfyres never had so many troops.

All of that is definitely true, but those Targaryens were arrogant SOB's, so you never know.

You're right though, it does seem unlikely that he'd ignore the rebels, considering he most likely knew of the alliance and early victories. 

Archived