Could Jaime cope with Cersei's death?

Oakhearts head

Disclaimer: This is not a thread for discussing the Valonqar prophecy and Jaime's potential involvement in that. 

I'm purely asking, based on what we know of Jaime's character, both before and after Vargo Hoat cut off his hand, would Jaime be able to deal with and move on if Cersei were to pass away. Like, if she legitimately died of a sudden illness (as a lot of people did in the Middle Ages and often in ASOIAF as well). Obviously, he would be crushed. Either way, do you feel he would be capable of eventually moving on and continuing to live his life without her or are the twins so intertwined that Jaime would be more inclined to end his own life than continue living in a world without his sister?

Jaime's obviously grown a lot over the novels, so we'll make it two separate scenarios:

1. Cersei dies before A Game of Thrones.

2. Cersei dies in A Dance with Dragons.

49 minutes ago, Oakhearts head said:

Disclaimer: This is not a thread for discussing the Valonqar prophecy and Jaime's potential involvement in that. 

I'm purely asking, based on what we know of Jaime's character, both before and after Vargo Hoat cut off his hand, would Jaime be able to deal with and move on if Cersei were to pass away. Like, if she legitimately died of a sudden illness (as a lot of people did in the Middle Ages and often in ASOIAF as well). Obviously, he would be crushed. Either way, do you feel he would be capable of eventually moving on and continuing to live his life without her or are the twins so intertwined that Jaime would be more inclined to end his own life than continue living in a world without his sister?

Jaime's obviously grown a lot over the novels, so we'll make it two separate scenarios:

1. Cersei dies before A Game of Thrones.

2. Cersei dies in A Dance with Dragons.

Before AGOT : He will be devestated , but would eventually move on.

ADWD: It will affect him , but less than if it was before AGOT. 

I definitely think he would (and probably will) cope just fine --in both cases.  I don't have the quotes in front of me, but twice I've noticed the wording of statements that led me to this belief.  When Jaime's hand was cut off and he was very ill he thinks in his POV that he cannot die while his sister lives.  Later in ADWD, Cersei says to Kevan that Jaime would not go (die) without her.  In both cases, they agree that he cannot die while she lives.  This leads me to believe that the opposite, Jaime living while Cersei dies, is the likely end of their relationship.  

Given my assumption that he will live, I think that Jaime will find a way to cope, probably by throwing himself into some useful purpose--maybe leading the Night's Watch or even training new knights for whoever ends up ruling Westeros.

We see Tyrion in aACoK and ASoS wondering about if Jamie found out he knew about his lover sleeping around on him how he would react and also in ADwD Ser Kev wondering about how Jamie would react. The truth is we Don't know he would mourn her no doubt be even he admits she is guilty of every crime against her and does not seem overly worried even if he knew it would be her death. I Like to believe he would mourn her but not much more

After some time, I think Jaime would mourn her a bit, or at least feel a little whimsical about the sister who was his constant companion during his childhood. He'll always have a certain fondness for memories such as slipping snow down the back of Cersei's gown. But he'll ba capable of continuing with his life.

What struck me the most about his increasing distance from Cersei was not the fact that he burned the letter. It was his ADWD chapter, where he hardly thinks about Cersei other than "I guess I'll have to talk to her if she's not dead by the time I return. ".

1 hour ago, Joy Hill said:

After some time, I think Jaime would mourn her a bit, or at least feel a little whimsical about the sister who was his constant companion during his childhood. He'll always have a certain fondness for memories such as slipping snow down the back of Cersei's gown. But he'll ba capable of continuing with his life.

What struck me the most about his increasing distance from Cersei was not burning the letter. It was his ADWD chapter, where he hardly thinks about Cersei other than "I guess I'll have to talk to her if she's not dead by the time I return. ".

Actually, he does burn the letter. Jaime VII from Feast.

Vyman was hovering by the door, waiting, and Jaime sensed that Peck was watching too. “Does my lord wish to answer?” the maester asked, after a long silence.

A snowflake landed on the letter. As it melted, the ink began to blur. Jaime rolled the parchment up again, as tight as one hand would allow, and handed it to Peck. “No,” he said. “Put this in the fire.”

15 minutes ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

Actually, he does burn the letter. Jaime VII from Feast.

Yes. What I meant was : what struck me personally the most was not the fact that he burned the letter, but the fact that afterwards he hardly thinks about her even though she's in mortal peril.

I'll edit the previous post to make it more understandable. :blush:

Jaime's attitude towards Cersei turns in AFFC. I do not have the lines in front of me, so quotes from memory.

When Jaime is on his military mission to take Riverrun and Raventree, after he has visited Lancel Lannister and learns the truth about Tyrion's accusation of Cersei having bedded Lancel, he starts brooding deeply.

At one time he thinks about having to separate Tommen from Cersei so the boy does not become another Joffrey.

Then there is a longer "conversation" with Illyn Payne, at the end of which Payne makes a gesture of slitting a throat in answer to what to do with Cersei.

At this point I think Cersei's death wouldn't bother him anymore.

I think there is evidence that Jaime is conflicted, cynical and has numbed out a lot of his pain by attending to present and active situations. He has had a lot of experience in hiding his emotions.

i believe he would be in a lot of pain, and angry, if Cersei had died early in the series. He would probably have survived, unless he did something dangerous, foolhardy and impulsive, perhaps even unrelated. I think he would have been even more scarred.

After DWTD, I'd vote for recklessly noble if he is the valonquer, or something more honorable  mature, and possibly hopeful, if he is not. I doubt he would be free from pain, and conflict if she dies, He is in a tough spot regardless.

Archived