ASOIAF Guessing Game version II AfU: Favorite historical male character: Top 5. Number 1

Jon's Queen Consort

Yes, Aegon the Conqueror.

He could be the ultimate hero for some - dragonrider, conqueror of almost a whole continent, who established basically an empire, husband to exceptional women, and we can even imagine him with the usual glamorous Targaryen looks. 

A monster for others: his conquest was marked by fire and blood, because of which thousands died. His nickname (the Dragon) also points towards a monster, and he totally literally unleashed a real monster (actually three monsters and their descendants) in Westeros.

Ultimately, he is remembered as a hero (and as a good king?) because he won.

Azor Ahai:

He could also be described as "the ultimate hero" if we can believe the legends. He does have a monster aspect, too, related to killing Nissa Nissa, and he is too popular with the red priests not to be suspicious. Still, since he supposedly fought against the Long Night, maybe against the Others, he might not have been remembered at all if he hadn't won, which makes the last part of the clue less relevant in my opinion than it is in the case of Aegon the Conqueror.

Therefore I'm also gambling on Aegon (the Dragon) the Conqueror.

Yet... Just one more observation - the expression "the ultimate hero" reminds me of the Last Hero, but the rest of the clue doesn't really seem to fit. Although the Last Hero might have been the same as Bran the Builder, who might have been the same as the Night's King, which would correspond to the monster angle, the Night's King is not remembered fondly, and while  the Last Hero is remembered in some way, his name has been forgotten. Is it getting tricky?

Oh, well, I'll stay with Aegon for the moment. 

2 minutes ago, Lady of Whisperers said:

Gambling on Aegon the Conqueror as well. 

@Julia H. There is a theory out there that Bran the Builder was the Night's King? 

Supposing the Night's King wasn't exactly what he now seems to have been. And Bran the Builder may have been the Last Hero as well.

Hm. On further consideration, I'll change my guess. 

1. Bran the Builder (Though he should be higher on the list - but maybe that's just my opinion.)

2. Aegon the Conqueror

3. Cregan Stark 

I came here to make the first two guesses above without an idea for the third one, but Cregan Stark might be a good option.

Number 11; Aegon I Targaryen points 42 

Aegon the Conqueror also known as Aegon the Dragon was the founder of the Targaryen dynasty and the first king of the united Westeros. He was married to both of his sisters Visenya and Rhaenyra and was also a dragonrider who rode the dragon Balerion for battle and for traveling. Even by Targaryen standards Aegon was a mystery, he was a loner who had only one friend his bastard brother Orys Baratheon, didn’t liked tournaments, he didn’t had paramours and he was trusting his sisters enough to leave government to them. Even if he was remembered fondly his war over Westeros and the blood he had spilt in order to make himself and his descendants as the Kings and Queens of Westeros cannot be forgotten.

Lady of Whisperers 36+5=41

Little Scribe of Naath 36+5=41

Annara Snow 35+5=40

Julia H. 37+2=39

Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer 37+1=38

Hmm...could this be Torrhen Stark? 

By giving up his crown and deciding not to fight a largely pointless war, he saved the lives of thousands of innocents...and also ensured stability for his people and Kingdom for many years to come.

(This is my personal opinion....if Brandon Snow had failed to kill the dragons and the Targs had found out about it, the Starks could have faced a fate similar to Harren. Alternatively, if Torrhen didnt kneel and the North fought back (like Dorne), you're looking at years of fighting in the region by Targ/Stark forces to gain control....thousands of lives lost in that case as well)

I like Torrhen Stark, but this could possibly apply to numerous people who have wisely surrendered or backed off of a conflict.

And wow, I did not think that Aegon I was going to be that low on the list. My own list appears to be really out of sync with everyone else.

My first idea was Azor Ahai.

He sacrificed two people who meant a lot to him to save the many. 

Torren Stark would fit, too. 

@Raisin' Bran: I put Aegon the Conqueror rather low on my list, but I also had Raymun Fossoway, Addam Hull and Brandon Snow pretty high up. 

@Jon's Queen Consort: Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. 

1 hour ago, Lady of Whisperers said:

My first idea was Azor Ahai.

He sacrificed two people who meant a lot to him to save the many. 

Theon Stark would fit, too. 

Nissa Nissa and who was the other?

The only thing that comes to mind about Theon Stark is that he attacked Andalos after fighting off an invasion near the Wolf's Den. Who were the few and who were the many?

5 minutes ago, Raisin' Bran said:

Nissa Nissa and who was the other?

The only thing that comes to mind about Theon Stark is that he attacked Andalos after fighting off an invasion near the Wolf's Den. Who were the few and who were the many?

I meant Torrhen.

Argh.. I thought he had a child with Nissa Nissa, bu according to the Wiki he didn't. 

I guess I shouldn't play this game after just getting back from work and bein really exhausted. 

Well AA still sacrificed one person he cared about...

Torrhen didn't sacrifice anyone, as far as I know, so I don't see how he would fit. Unless we assume he had a burning desire to be called King. and even that's a stretch.

Personally, I think that anyone who quotes "The needs of the many..." speech to justify sacrificing anyone other than themselves should just shut up, because the only reason that speech was effective was because Spock was justifying himself and just himself... but maybe that's just me.

Archived