Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jon's Queen Consort

ASOIAF Guessing Game version II AfU: Favorite historical male character: Top 5. Number 1

Recommended Posts

A question: could this description refer to one of the Houses whose words have only been revealed in semi-canon sources (but are nevertheless included in the ASOAIF wiki)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

I'm thinking this is a Targ. Probably Aegon the Conqueror, or Daemon Targaryen ? 

I'm not sure how anyone would exactly lead their whole life according to the maxim "Fire and blood". Like, they would always be going around starting fires/burning things and spilling blood? Aegon wasn't doing that when he didn't have to, and Daemon didn't even have a dragon, so the 'fire' part is out.

My first idea was Savage Sam Tarly, since he was a famous warrior and his biography makes it sound like he really was "First in battle" lots of times. (Imagine Randyll Tarly proudly calling his firstborn son after him and hoping he'd be just as much of a warrior.)

But I keep thinking about other possibilities. A Velaryon that was "old and true and brave"? Does Corlys fit? Addam Velaryon would certainly fit the latter two, but sadly, definitely not the former one. An Arryn that was always super honorable? A Royce that... remembered stuff? I don't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

I'm not sure how anyone would exactly lead their whole life according to the maxim "Fire and blood". Like, they would always be going around starting fires/burning things and spilling blood? Aegon wasn't doing that when he didn't have to, and Daemon didn't even have a dragon, so the 'fire' part is out.

My first idea was Savage Sam Tarly, since he was a famous warrior and his biography makes it sound like he really was "First in battle" lots of times. (Imagine Randyll Tarly proudly calling his firstborn son after him and hoping he'd be just as much of a warrior.)

But I keep thinking about other possibilities. A Velaryon that was "old and true and brave"? Does Corlys fit? Addam Velaryon would certainly fit the latter two, but sadly, definitely not the former one. An Arryn that was always super honorable? A Royce that... remembered stuff? I don't know.

I interpreted "Fire and Blood" as fierce and ruthless in conquest....that's why I suggested Aegon the Conqueror/Daemon Targ. The Conqueror fits better I think (the way he ended Harren's line comes to mind.)

Savage Sam Tarly - could see him being "First in Battle." But we don't know whether he was a great example of his bloodline because we hardly know much about his bloodline ( the way the clue is worded sounds like we know many members of this line, and this particular character exemplifies it)

Corlys is a good suggestion...he definitely lived up to "The Old, the True, The Brave." 

If it's a Stark, Brandon Ice-Eyes could be an option. I doubt it's a Stark though because "Winter is coming" is more like a warning. Plus IMO the Starks who are the best examples of their bloodline are Arya and Bran, who are still alive. (Warging/greenseeing, Old God's magic, connection with death/the supernatural, etc.)

It could be Durran Godsgrief - the Storm King''s stubbornness and fury set the tone for his descendants, the Baratheons.

It''s not any Arryn - nobody fits "As High as Honour". No Martell guy fits this clue  either, as far as I can recall.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

I interpreted "Fire and Blood" as fierce and ruthless in conquest....that's why I suggested Aegon the Conqueror/Daemon Targ. The Conqueror fits better I think (the way he ended Harren's line comes to mind.)

Savage Sam Tarly - could see him being "First in Battle." But we don't know whether he was a great example of his bloodline because we hardly know much about his bloodline ( the way the clue is worded sounds like we know many members of this line, and this particular character exemplifies it)

Corlys is a good suggestion...he definitely lived up to "The Old, the True, The Brave." 

If it's a Stark, Brandon Ice-Eyes could be an option. I doubt it's a Stark though because "Winter is coming" is more like a warning. Plus IMO the Starks who are the best examples of their bloodline are Arya and Bran, who are still alive. (Warging/greenseeing, Old God's magic, connection with death/the supernatural, etc.)

It could be Durran Godsgrief - the Storm King''s stubbornness and fury set the tone for his descendants, the Baratheons.

It''s not any Arryn - nobody fits "As High as Honour". No Martell guy fits this clue  either, as far as I can recall.

 

Good points, but Aegon did not spend all his life conquering and making war. Most of it was post conquest building a new cpuntry. And how he eventually dealt (or did not deal) with the Dornish after receiving their letter was very unlike "Fire and Blood".

...and there's no way Aegon the Conqueror is that low on the list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

A question: could this description refer to one of the Houses whose words have only been revealed in semi-canon sources (but are nevertheless included in the ASOAIF wiki)?

Generally speaking I use clues that can be found in the wiki in order to make it easier to be solved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could it be Daeron Targaryen "The Young Dragon"?, I don't think Daemon Targaryen the Rogue Prince quite fits the bill. I also think we are too low on the list for the answer to be Aegon I.

In case I forget, I am taking the options route this round.

1. Daeron I Targaryen, The Young Dragon

2. Daemon Targayen, The Rogue Prince

3. Corlys Velaryon (No one votes for Maegor)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Number 15 Daemon Targaryen. 27 points

Quote

Over the centuries, House Targaryen has produced both great men and monsters. Prince Daemon was both.

~ Maester Gyldayn

 

Prince Daemon Targaryen King of the Stepstones and the Narrow Sea also known as Prince of the City, Lord Flea Bottom and the rogue prince was charming, charismatic, brave, irritable, careless and ambitious. He married three times firstly with Lady Rhea Royce, secondly with Lady Laena Velaryon and thirdly with Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen and had at least two paramours Mysaria and Nettles. He had he had four children, two daughters Rhaena and Baela by lady Laena and two sons Aegon and Viserys by Princess Rhaenyra. His two sons ended up being king Aegon III and Viserys II. Through his children he is the forefather of not only the Targaryen dynasty but also the Blackfyre family and maybe even the majority of the Westerosi nobility, we don’t know yet.

He was knighted at the age of 16 and Jaehaerys I, his grandfather, gave him Dark Sister. From his youth until his death he lived and died according the Targaryen words “Fire and blood”. He participated at the Conquest of the Stepstones, where he was crowned as the King of the Stepstones and the Narrow Sea, and later at the Dance of the Dagons . His last battle was Battle above the Gods Eye, where he killed his nephew Aemond who was riding Vhagar by jumping from Caraxes on Vhagar and stabbing Dark Sister through Aemond’s eye.  Daemon lived and died according to the Targaryen words, he lived and died through fire and blood.

 

Julia H. 20+2=22

Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer 20+2=22

Lady of Whisperers 20+1=21

Little Scribe of Naath      20+1=21

Annara Snow     20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Why?

When I said that, I was not taking into account his entire resume of deeds. I forgot about the extremely awesome jump to kill Aemond atop Vhagar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Raisin' Bran said:

When I said that, I was not taking into account his entire resume of deeds. I forgot about the extremely awesome jump to kill Aemond atop Vhagar.

It all depends on what one takes "great example of a bloodline" to mean. Daemon was on my list for being an interesting guy, but I personally wouldn't call someone who commissions murders of children a "great" example of any bloodline - and I don't think that most Targs murdered children...

 

Gambling on Raymun Fossoway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×