Consolidation of Doom of Valyria

FrozenHonors

The most possible explanation is the natural one :a huge volcanic eruption caused the Doom.

At least two "controversial" explanations share in common the belief that the spells keeping the Forteen Flames faltered because of the asssination of many mages who controlled them. This seems quite logic.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2018 at 9:34 PM, Endymion I Targaryen said:

The most possible explanation is the natural one :a huge volcanic eruption caused the Doom.

At least two "controversial" explanations share in common the belief that the spells keeping the Forteen Flames faltered because of the asssination of many mages who controlled them. This seems quite logic.

Yeah i suspect based upon re-reads that the info presented points to this sort of event.

The Valyrians wanted some resource that was found in the largest quantity in the rocks around the volcanoes, probably obsidian or the components of Valyrian steel. Maybe is was that the rock was good for building in their style as they used dragon-fire and magic to melt it into shapes?

So in order to mine deep they needed mages to use spells to control the volcanic conditions. I'm thinking it was a bit like a nuclear reactor with the mage/spell combo being like some sort of arcane control rods to control the fires of the earth to allow mining operations.

These mages got killed or lost concentration or something, the volcanoes got out of control and, boom....the whole place goes up. 

Archived