Rant and Rave without Repercussions [S7 Leaks Edition]

Little Scribe of Naath

At this point I honestly believe that Martin is taking so long with the books because he now wants them to be VERY different from the show. How can he not hate the show at this point? Im sure he likes seeing Dany ride a dragon but that is IT!!!

think how mad we all are. If I were him there would be no words......

my guess is that he said to himself; 'fuck em, let em finish their stupid show without anymore help from me.' 

I think he has finished or almost finished Winds and will start on the next book and not publish Winds until after the show is done filming the final season. Sure he told them his grand design for the series, which was Jon+Dany beat the WW's together with her dragons. I doubt anything else will be the same books and show.

51 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Are the leaks that everyone's talking about the ones that this guy posted on reddit?

https://www.reddit.com/user/Kylaspikkel

I'm actually curious to see if HBO's going to try some sort of elaborate scheme next season, like many of us suspected Lads was prior to the leaks being verified (i.e. having an employee "leak" a plot that lines up with the shooting schedule but contains mostly false information).

I really hope they are fake.  It's too bad!

Summoning the season, I found stupid that all important communication happens off-screen like Bran telling Sansa and Arya about LF. Or it doesn't happen at all, leaving a huge elephant in the room like Jon and Gendry never mentioned Arya at all. Or Brienne never mentioning Sansa to The Hound and vice versa. 

I understand it should be a surprising revelation at some point, but it's just stupid, because they obviously avoid them.

3 minutes ago, Ashes Of Westeros said:

Summoning the season, I found stupid that all important communication happens off-screen like Bran telling Sansa and Arya about LF. Or it doesn't happen at all, leaving a huge elephant in the room like Jon and Gendry never mentioned Arya at all. Or Brienne never mentioning Sansa to The Hound and vice versa. 

I understand it should be a surprising revelation at some point, but it's just stupid, because they obviously avoid them.

Yup :agree: D&D are teases with that, by keeping mum

10 minutes ago, Ashes Of Westeros said:

well look at this, Jon and Jorah met at dragonstone and guess where they talked about his father, beyond the wall. Ask yourself what the hell were they doing in their time in dragonstone and specially on their way from dragonstone to eastwatch.

12 minutes ago, tormond said:

well look at this, Jon and Jorah met at dragonstone and guess where they talked about his father, beyond the wall. Ask yourself what the hell were they doing in their time in dragonstone and specially on their way from dragonstone to eastwatch.

:agree: Just the case! And Jorah (like all other people in the show) never questioned how come Jon left the NW.

2 hours ago, Aemon Targaryen said:

But if GRRM never knew exactly how the story ended, then there are all sorts of possibilities, but mainly:

1.  GRRM was 100% truthful and open in telling D&D the ending, as best he knew it at the time.

2.  (Consistent with 1) GRRM changed his mind in big ways and small ways in actually writing the books.

3.  (Also consistent with 1) GRRM changed his mind to intentionally diverge from the show.

4.  GRRM was never 100% open or truthful about the ending.

In other words: the show HAS changed the books .... if the show didn't exist, GRRM might have been much more straightforward but is now going to add even more twists than he otherwise would have.

In light of that, the only sure things are who dies and who survives of the main characters.

Reveal hidden contents

But I am most disturbed by the Bran turns in the NK thing.  Really, that means that all the shit with 3ER, greenseers etc is just another "jump the wight" moment, but it would be ultimately attributable to GRRM.

In other words - the Others are explained/justified only really by the fact that the CoTF created them as terminators ... that's it.  And the only rationale for Bran's whole plot line is that once raised by a WW he will become a new NK. Gah.

I'm wondering if the spin-offs will change this. HBO is going to press to kill characters who are less appealing spin-off wise for shock value and keep the more promising spin-off candidates alive. Even if they don't plan an immediate spin-off with certain characters, I think they'd want to keep their options open in case their other shows are disappointing financially.

Spoiler

Using these possible leaks as an example, there are reports that Emilia has said that she is done with Dany at the end of GoT so the leaks have her killed. I know a lot of people have her pegged as dying at the end of the series, but I just disagree as it'll leave the whole Essos/slavery plot hanging out there unresolved because that's certainly not getting permanently fixed in the time between the end of ADWD and arriving in Westeros. Kit has expressed openness to spin-offs, and the leaks only assume he's dead. Given Jon was raised from the dead and Dany was elevated to fire-proof, I can see these leaks as leaving the door open for Jon to rise as a piece of very slowly healing charcoal or some other weirdness.

15 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

I'm wondering if the spin-offs will change this. HBO is going to press to kill characters who are less appealing spin-off wise for shock value and keep the more promising spin-off candidates alive. Even if they don't plan an immediate spin-off with certain characters, I think they'd want to keep their options open in case their other shows are disappointing financially.

Hide contents

Using these possible leaks as an example, there are reports that Emilia has said that she is done with Dany at the end of GoT so the leaks have her killed. I know a lot of people have her pegged as dying at the end of the series, but I just disagree as it'll leave the whole Essos/slavery plot hanging out there unresolved because that's certainly not getting permanently fixed in the time between the end of ADWD and arriving in Westeros. Kit has expressed openness to spin-offs, and the leaks only assume he's dead. Given Jon was raised from the dead and Dany was elevated to fire-proof, I can see these leaks as leaving the door open for Jon to rise as a piece of very slowly healing charcoal or some other weirdness.

But we already know the "spinoffs" are all going to be prequels and not contain any of the characters from the GoT series, so whether the main characters live or die will have no impact on the spinoffs. All of them are set BEFORE the events of the series, not after.

47 minutes ago, Gaz0680 said:

But we already know the "spinoffs" are all going to be prequels and not contain any of the characters from the GoT series, so whether the main characters live or die will have no impact on the spinoffs. All of them are set BEFORE the events of the series, not after.

We're getting news about the spin-off planned to immediately follow GoT. I've just heard too much talk about the GoT actors possible involvement in spinoffs to rule this out, and I just don't see HBO being willing to completely shut the door on the possibility of additional spin-offs involving the current cast if they think there's money in it.

Spoiler

That's one reason why these season 8 leaks are believable to me: this ending allows for GoT to end, period, or be reopened at a later date if they chose to do so.

This is great, interview with NCW, note how many times he says I don't know and who knows:

I don’t know why it took him so long to realize what the rest of the world always knew — that she is a crazy monster — but he finally did...

Who knows. We’ll never know because that scene isn’t there, but that might be the case...

Is “I don’t believe you” saying “I don’t love you” or “I don’t believe I’m going to die.” My subtext as an actor was “This is it. I don’t believe in you anymore. I don’t believe in this, you and me. I don’t love you anymore.” That’s how I played it. Now, I’ve done that before and then you find out that’s not what they intended, but, you know, that was kind of my intention that that was it... I think the whole “I’m in love with you” thing is not really there — it’s gone. But I may be wrong, who knows?...

But if you know everything, shouldn’t you tell us? Don’t keep it to yourself, just spread information. Let’s find out what’s going on!... Samwell Tarly comes in and he says what he says and then the Three-Eyed Raven doesn’t know that Jon Snow is actually Aegon Targaryen but Samwell says so and then he just suddenly finds outs. I didn’t understand that...

I know. I hope I get to have some scenes with Gwendoline [Christie] again because she’s so much fun to be around and she’s great. But in terms of story, it doesn’t makes sense for them to be a couple. But who knows?

http://www.huffingtonpost.in/entry/nikolaj-coster-waldau-breaks-down-that-huge-jaime-moment-on-game-of-thrones_us_59a41859e4b06d67e338fc5d

3 hours ago, Ashes Of Westeros said:

Yeah really stupid. Missing communication and elephants in rooms, all over the place.

Also good point about surprises, they came right out and said how they like to hold back from the audience.

13 hours ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

Haven't watched since episode 3 this instead just reading summaries, and I truly don't miss it at all. While for a couple of episodes I was reading to the summaries right after the show ends. Last night I even forgot it was on at all, and only remembered this morning. 

It's pretty hard to fathom that during the first few seasons I was thinking about the show non stop even between seasons, that was how much I was into it, and now it has driven me to disappiontment, then to dislike, and now to completely apathy.  I can't even muster up a good rant any more because I just don't care.

Yeah, it left me with a big "I don't care" - they didn't give me anything of interest, basically just a big war is coming, that some cardboard characters are going to narrate with bad expository dialogue.

2 hours ago, Tijgy said:

About the leaked outline ... the writers did then seriously misplace Theon. He already went to save his sister. He didn't join Jon, ...

Good point.

Saw an IGN video where they stated that the S8 scripts are indeed done..but that none of the actors have seen it.  

A lot of you seem to be fearing they're real because some parts feel like they could happen. Thing is, any fanfic could have some events appear possible. What matters is how much of it doesn't. And I think there are several things on those leaks to prove they're wrong. Theon's stuff does not fit S7 ending and Dany's death on childbirth and Euron as the last bad guy are events that can only happen in some carzy fan's mind. The writers are not very good on verisimilitude and consistency, it's true, but they are populists, they know about spectacular narrative and keeping the larger audience happy, so that Euron Big Bad and Dany plot assassination would never, ever, happen.

20 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Despite how little sense it makes, we can pretty much conclude that Tormund and Beric somehow survived the attack on the Wall, right? 

I am sure they are alive. They would have showed us their death if D&D had wanted to kill them off.

1 hour ago, Maester Totoro said:

A lot of you seem to be fearing they're real because some parts feel like they could happen. Thing is, any fanfic could have some events appear possible. What matters is how much of it doesn't. And I think there are several things on those leaks to prove they're wrong. Theon's stuff does not fit S7 ending and Dany's death on childbirth and Euron as the last bad guy are events that can only happen in some carzy fan's mind. The writers are not very good on verisimilitude and consistency, it's true, but they are populists, they know about spectacular narrative and keeping the larger audience happy, so that Euron Big Bad and Dany plot assassination would never, ever, happen.

That's a good point. For instance, this guy wrote a pretty compelling outline, but seeing as it was posted by some random guy on reddit without any sort of explanation, it's probably false: https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/6u4syx/season_8anybody_heard_about_this/dlpwxaj/?context=3

Archived