Acrophilia 15 (Back to the Vintage Version) - AND THE WINNER IS ...

Julia H.

Since I haven't been able to answer PM's all day today, I will extend the deadline until 10 a.m. tomorrow morning (Central European Time). That will be in about 16 hours, so you have some time to modify or complete your answers on the basis of the information you have just received.

I will soon send out Round 2 characters.  

The characters for Round 2 have been sent out to all players.

Your acronyms for Round 2:

R A S F I S N S

N C E I L

The deadline for submitting the clue for your character is 6 p.m. Sunday December 11th (Central European Time).

CLUES AND ANSWERS - FAVOURITE CLUE VOTES!

1. Idealistic mentality. Eager limp osteichthid. Held prisoner.  Edmure Tully

2. Ignoble metamorphosis eviscerated laughing, obnoxious, handsome prince. Theon Greyjoy

Eviscerated metaphorically refers to Theon being robbed of everything he used to be by the ignoble metamorphosis from Prince to Reek.

3. Inexcusable manservant? Erstwhile labourer of “House Pleasure”.  Satin  

Satin becomes Jon's steward, which some NW members find outrageous. "House Pleasure" is reference to the brothel Satin comes from. This clue is not eligible for favourite clues votes. 

4. Titillating redhead...evermore gone.  Ygritte

5. Intelligence may explain lack of hereditary pride.  Tyrion Lannister

Pride has a double meaning here.

6. Induction. Mercy. Epiphany. Lord offers hospitality, protectionJon Snow 

This is another clue that is not eligible for favourite clue votes, however, some explanation may be necessary as many of you found this clue difficult. The clue refers to the scene in the weirwood grove (in ADwD), where several new NW recruits take their vows (induction) under the Lord Commander's supervision. They find a group of wounded wildlings as well as Wun Wun in the grove, but Jon Snow decides to help them rather than kill them (mercy). While the new recruits are taking their vows, Jon Snow silently retakes his own vow and prays to the gods of the forest and this is the moment when he realizes that his true vocation is to be the shield that guards all men - all humans (epiphany). He invites the wildlings to Castle Black promising them food and shelter and that no one will burn. When he is asked who he is to make such promises, he answers "Lord Commander of the Night's Watch and a son of Eddard Stark of Winterfell". (Lord offers hospitality, protection.)

7. Inactive marauder. Expert longbow owner. Hoofs perfectly.   Ulmer of the Kingswood

Ulmer used to be a member of the Kingswood Brotherhood, for which he ended up on the wall. He is a skilled archer, who can also dance beautifully.

8. Ill-made engagements lost (on homosexual principle?) Brynden Tully (the Blackfish)

Brynden repeatedly refused to get married. It is never explained why, but there has been extensive fan speculation that he might be homosexual.

9. Information man, enigmatic, larcenous, obsequiousness hides plots. Varys

10. Intertwined man. Eventually legitimatized. Objectionable hand, previously.   Brynden Rivers (Bloodraven)

11. Tinkling rider (extra  gongs). Rakharo

It is mentioned that in the service of Daenerys (recently) Rakharo has acquired several new bells in his hair 

Theme: Characters who have practised archery (using any kind of bows).

The deadline for voting: 6 p.m. Sunday December 11th (Central European Time).

11 could easily have been Aggo as well.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Aggo

My ego demands that I say: If you guessed Rakharo, it's by happenstance alone.

Myself, I saw too many Dothraki possibilities and, thus, went with the Dothraki who had the most bells because he best suits the clue itself (despite that I don't recall him using a bow, specifically).

I swiftly read up on both Aggo and Rakharo. The only thing that made me choose Rakharo is the bells thing and it was hard to find the reference to him using a bow, yet I could find no mention of additional bells on Aggo so that was the decider for me.

I was right about what I had correct/incorrect. A bit more time on it for further research and I might have found the relevant info on Ulmer. One of my wrong answers I'm annoyed with myself over but again I'm sure with time and effort I would have corrected it. I didn't get the Jon Snow clue. I see how it works with the explanation but it seems vague and otherwise interpretable to me. I suppose I should have learned by now that the vaguest clues tend as a general rule to be about the most well known characters.

1 hour ago, D'oh Gabe said:

I suppose I should have learned by now that the vaguest clues tend as a general rule to be about the most well known characters.

Shhh!

I guessed Sam on that clue the first time. The only thing that didn't quite fit was the epiphany part but it just seemed better suited to him, especially as he'd specifically been focused on bow at Jon's insistence. I was torn between which if my Tyrion and Sam guesses was wrong from prelims... and I guessed correctly and revised it to Jon, which after thinking maybe did fit better (not sure if it does fit better or if I think that now only because I know Sam is wrong... after all, I did consider Jon initially and picked Sam).

6 took me the longest time to figure out. What tipped it toward Jon for me was the "Lord" because he's called Lord Snow. Couldn't find another "Lord" who has used a bow. That of course was after I figured out the theme. Prior to that I thought it was Beric for being inducted into R'hllorism, not going after everybody who killed him (mercy), and offering both hospitality and protection to Arya, Gendry, and others.

8 hours ago, D'oh Gabe said:

I didn't get the Jon Snow clue. I see how it works with the explanation but it seems vague and otherwise interpretable to me. I suppose I should have learned by now that the vaguest clues tend as a general rule to be about the most well known characters.

6 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Shhh!

I guessed Sam on that clue the first time. The only thing that didn't quite fit was the epiphany part but it just seemed better suited to him, especially as he'd specifically been focused on bow at Jon's insistence. I was torn between which if my Tyrion and Sam guesses was wrong from prelims... and I guessed correctly and revised it to Jon, which after thinking maybe did fit better (not sure if it does fit better or if I think that now only because I know Sam is wrong... after all, I did consider Jon initially and picked Sam).

2 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

6 took me the longest time to figure out. What tipped it toward Jon for me was the "Lord" because he's called Lord Snow. Couldn't find another "Lord" who has used a bow. That of course was after I figured out the theme. Prior to that I thought it was Beric for being inducted into R'hllorism, not going after everybody who killed him (mercy), and offering both hospitality and protection to Arya, Gendry, and others.

I see your points. However, it seems to me that a clue which describes one specific scene is not exactly vague. Even if the different parts of the clue can refer individually to other characters, together they point in one direction. (Now, if you don't recognize the scene, the clue may indeed seem to be vague.) Anyway, I thought the most famous (even if not the only) initiation process in the novel is the NW vow, and protection is a key word for Jon (the shield that guards the realms of men...). Other characters may also protect someone here and there, but Jon's whole story is about his role as a protector. He also specifically calls himself "Lord Commander" as he is offering the protection. Epiphany was also a key word, and not many characters in the novel have that experience on page. 

I just didn't have it this round. Felt bamboozled. I thought I'd listed all the possible princes and forgot Theon. I thought of Tyrion for the intelligence clue and even registered the double meaning but went with Sam. When our host said the author thought the Jon clue was transparent I stopped thinking about it and wrote in Arya (joining the house of black and white). I should have counted the organisations you can be inducted into, although I don't think I'd have got it even then. I put Theon for Ulner. I figured a marauder had to be an outlaw or an iron born and searched for someone who was a good dancer and longbow expert but didn't find the correct person (it was quite hard to search on). Actually I am pleased I didn't change things greatly after prelims because I probably would have changed them incorrectly. I started to think Ygritte was too straightforward and rack my brains for someone else.

After eliminating Drogo as my prelim answer, I searched Aggo first for the bonus because he is the longbow holder but found no mention of bells, Rakharo had specific mention of bells, Also, the fact that he had only just earned them (late in the piece) made me think that my assumption that Aggo, Rakharo and Jhogo would all have had them from the start was wrong.

Hats off to anyone with a perfect score.

Missed 6, 7 and 11 

Thought 6 was Anguy as he adminsters "mercy" to the captives in Stoney Sept.

Thought 7 was Aggo as he is Dany's Ko and no longer pillaging in the classic Dothraki sense, plus uses a sweet dragonbone bow.

Could not make up my mind for 11, thought Drogo first, then guessed for Jhaqo 

i had a perfect list but paid for it in points spent...i wanted 7 to be anguy since he does not continue on with stoneheart and he is from the marches and sings marcher songs...and the bwb goes mostly on foot...thus hoofer...but after a sad prelim round i started asking questions and searching wiki and text...and i so wanted 3 to be pod...but once i got theme characters like pod fell away, and i focused on searching words arrow and quarrel...

congrats to all who managed any answers without spending points...

and as to ygritte...i like using shorter acros...so redhead obviously, but how to differentiate...well titillating worked for me :leer:... and since he burned her she is definitely gone forever...

ROUND ONE AUTHORS AND RESULTS

1. Idealistic mentality. Eager limp osteichthid. Held prisoner. Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer

2. Ignoble metamorphosis eviscerated laughing, obnoxious, handsome prince. Ser Not Appearing

3. Inexcusable manservant? Erstwhile labourer of “House Pleasure”. Julia H.

4. Titillating redhead...evermore gone. rocksniffer

5. Intelligence may explain lack of hereditary pride.  Destiel's Child

6. Induction. Mercy. Epiphany. Lord offers hospitality, protection.  Julia H.

7. Inactive marauder. Expert longbow owner. Hoofs perfectly.   Lady Blizzardborn

8. Ill-made engagements lost (on homosexual principle?)  Gabe

9. Information man, enigmatic, larcenous, obsequiousness hides plots.  Castellan

10. Intertwined man. Eventually legitimatized. Objectionable hand, previously.  SWMBO

11. Tinkling rider (extra  gongs).   Fragile Bird

About the scores: We had a surprise player (our ever astonishing Fragile Bird), who joined the party when some other players were submitting their final answers, so we agreed that she would submit a clue that would be worth one point only because I didn't want to put the early birds, who had already thought their research was done, to a disadvantage, but in this way Fragile Bird could also receive author points and became eligible for favourite clue votes. So #11 is a one-point clue. But then I realized that Fragile Bird should also have a clue that is only worth one point, so I decided to make whichever clue would receive the most favourite clue votes a one-point clue for her. This clue is #10. This way Fragile Bird has had the same number of points to achieve as everyone else. 

I didn't include the extra clue in the race for the first perfect set of answers, since by that time someone, I think, had already submitted the first perfect set of answers (or was very close) and I didn't consider it fair to make such changes at that point, but later I realized that I could award two players the extra five points - one player who submitted the perfect set before the extra clue and another one who submitted the first perfect set including the extra clue. Therefore in this round two players received bonus points.

You can see the scores below. Please check your points.

NAME/SCORE

Guessing points (3/clue)

Theme (max 4)

Bonus points

Author points

Favourite clue

SPENT (Minus)

TOTAL

Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer

-

Ser Not Appearing

-

rocksniffer

Destiel’s Child

-

-

-

Lady Blizzardborn

Gabe

-

-

Castellan

-

-

She Who Must Be Obeyed

-

Fragile Bird

-

STANDINGS

1. SWMBO                     38

2. Ser Not Appearing     36

3. Fragile Bird                33

4. rocksniffer                  32

5.LadyBlizzardborn        30

6-7. Gabe                       29

Raisin(g)Bran2Greenseer   29

8. Castellan                   28

9. Destiel's Child              6

The round has been won by SWMBO, who guessed all but one of the clues with spending only two points on yes/no questions, while her excellent clue has also received the highest number of favourite clue votes. Ser Not Appearing is in second place, running only two points behind SWMBO. The only clue he didn't guess was the extra one - and he only spent one point (to make sure that his final answers were all correct). Despite starting later than the others, Fragile Bird finishes the first round in the third place, flying ahead of the two players who submitted perfect answers - rocksniffer and Lady Blizzardborn - who both had a spending spree and delighted the host by purchasing a considerable number of answers and received bonus points as a result. The chasing pack also includes the inventor of the game, Gabe (who is not at all dolorous these days), the player-of-the-longest-name-to-type, Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer and Castellan, who are all only a few points behind. 

Anything is possible yet, watch out for the beginning of Round 2 - and send your clue if you haven't sent it yet!

Wow I can't believe it.  :rofl:  I got the theme and several of the clues early on but a couple were a struggle.

Thank you everyone who voted for my clue as their favorite. The "i" at the beginning was inspired by the wonderful art on the wiki page for Three-Eyed Crow. The rest was shamefully easy, being based on Brynden Rivers wiki page.

I voted for #7 it worried me the most but I just kept searching for dancers who shot a bow. Hoofs was a great word choice, IMO. :thumbsup:

However #8 was my nemesis. I knew it was not any of the known homosexuals in the story, but latched onto Sam and his problems with his father who suspects he is less than a man (perhaps homosexual) who no woman would want and unworthy to continue the Tarly family line. I had Blackfish on the shortlist of people who fit theme and were never married but no clue he was suspected of being gay. Good clue DG! :cheers:

Congratulations to everyone. I doubt I can hold the lead, but look forward to making an effort to do so   :commie:

SWMBO: thanks but I didn't think it was a good clue. ETA: I voted for yours, it was great.

Thanks to whomever gave mine a fave vote, I'm surprised but very grateful. Castellan's or SNA's or RB2G's would have been more deserving of a/another vote in my opinion.

I voted for #7. Intertwined is quite artful but, at least for me, was obvious in single word. Ulmer made me think and I misinterpreted the clue at first. Which is a sign of appreciated subtlety.

I didn't bother looking at the rule set but apparently we're back to something that will endanger me based solely on my insistence not to submit easy clues. Which is fine. You should all just stay reading my mind a bit better...

I should also start earlier, as I managed to get all the clues right pretty quickly after starting. But anyone who's hosted knows my procrastination often wins out.

Archived