Acrophilia 15 (Back to the Vintage Version) - AND THE WINNER IS ...

Julia H.

You endanger yourself as much as any rule set does, Ser!  :rofl:

For what it's worth, I was annoyed with myself for not getting your clue. I went through the same issue Castellan described. I went looking for princes and failed to think of Theon as a prince.

I should have gotten #8. As I was searching using arrow and bow, I kept coming across the story of Hoster Tully's death, and Edmund handing his bow to Brynden. But Brynden as a closet homosexual never crossed my mind. I have never come across this theory and GRRM has never made any comments, not a hint, along this line. Gabe, you should know better. :(

The phrase "homosexual principle" eventually led me to guess Anguy on the theory that he blew his tournament winnings at Chataya's based on what is a fairly common idea, that men who fear they are gay will try to bed as many women as possible so they can prove to themselves they are not. That seems more of a principle that simply not being married.

"On homosexual principle"?  Bah, humbug. Just because you're not married it doesn't mean you're gay.

As for my late clue, there's not a hell of a lot you can write about Rhakharo. The Wiki does mention he added bells to his hair. Rider and tinkling should have gotten you to a Dothraki, and searching arrow gave you two choices, only one of which mentioned bells. Even if you didn't have the theme yet,  I thought you should end at the same place.

well i see Lady Blizz and i know the value of a well spent point  ;)

i followed your logic dear Bird, i had theme so was searching the words arrow and quarrel...Rakharo had both bells and arows so it was a no brainer...and i figured out brynden tully once i searched for the word betrothal and this paragraph from the wiki sealed it for me

After his father died, his older brother Hoster inherited the rule of Riverrun. Hoster sought to betroth Brynden to Bethany Redwyne, but Brynden refused, causing a severe stain on their relationship. While other houses made marriage offers as well, including House Bracken and House Frey, Brynden remained unwed.[5]George R. R. Martin has thus far not shed any light on why Brynden has chosen to remain unwed.[21] However, years later Catelyn Tully expressed certainty that Brynden would never marry.[5]

i was also quick to get Ser's clue since when searching word prince the prince of winterfell comes up...as does the exchange between theon and asha when he returns to pyke...

i struggled with 7 because like others, i felt anguy belonged on this list...but a well spent point led me to reformed marauder...and that led me to NW

i also really liked clue 6 and would probably voted for it if able...i saw jon right away...especially after searching every lord that had offered hospitality...and had fired arrows

i also struggled with 3...key word that led to satin was erstwhile as in former...so i searched brothels and workers not too many men on those lists...

i felt like it was a good round...and i get my clue was easy...never fear  that won't be true this time   :devil:

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

<snip

"On homosexual principle"?  Bah, humbug. Just because you're not married it doesn't mean you're gay.

<snip

True, but in that culture, at his age, he should have married someone if only because his father (back when that Lord Tully was alive) made him marry someone for political or financial reasons. Speculation tends toward certain reasons for Brynden's continual bachelorhood: either gay or had a great love he lost...or both. 

Not 100% certain that his orientation is under discussion in-world (it would have to be an off-page thing) but it has definitely been discussed in the fandom.

17 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

True, but in that culture, at his age, he should have married someone if only because his father (back when that Lord Tully was alive) made him marry someone for political or financial reasons. Speculation tends toward certain reasons for Brynden's continual bachelorhood: either gay or had a great love he lost...or both. 

Not 100% certain that his orientation is under discussion in-world (it would have to be an off-page thing) but it has definitely been discussed in the fandom.

But not in the Wiki, and not by George...

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

I should have gotten #8. As I was searching using arrow and bow, I kept coming across the story of Hoster Tully's death, and Edmund handing his bow to Brynden. But Brynden as a closet homosexual never crossed my mind. I have never come across this theory and GRRM has never made any comments, not a hint, along this line. Gabe, you should know better. :(

The phrase "homosexual principle" eventually led me to guess Anguy on the theory that he blew his tournament winnings at Chataya's based on what is a fairly common idea, that men who fear they are gay will try to bed as many women as possible so they can prove to themselves they are not. That seems more of a principle that simply not being married.

As for my late clue, there's not a hell of a lot you can write about Rhakharo. The Wiki does mention he added bells to his hair. Rider and tinkling should have gotten you to a Dothraki, and searching arrow gave you two choices, only one of which mentioned bells. Even if you didn't have the theme yet,  I thought you should end at the same place.

I humbly refer you back to the following quote.

On 04/12/2016 at 3:46 AM, D'oh Gabe said:

I will get in my apology for my lacklustre clue now. I'm away and my brain just refused to function properly.

I honestly couldn't make my brain function on it and thought Julia was going to make one up for me instead.

However, it has definitely been discussed in the forum. I was hoping the parentheses and question mark would help suggest it not being "in-world" and being questionable.

6 minutes ago, D'oh Gabe said:

I honestly couldn't make my brain function on it and thought Julia was going to make one up for me instead.

However, it has definitely been discussed in the forum. I was hoping the parentheses and question mark would help suggest it not being "in-world" and being questionable.

<sighs> I'm just annoyed that I didn't take the leap and choose more fish. :lol: 

ROUND 2 CLUES

There are ten clues at the moment but we can expect another one to be added soon, so please, watch out for the added clue.

1. Ran away? Snatched? (Fiancé is storming.) Northern siren.

2. Necrosis concreting extension - indubitably luckless.

3. Nearsighted, crippled, eventual identity, "lefty".

4. Robust anointer. Ser “Fleeing Impossible”. Safeguard, not scrutinize.

5. Necessarily covert. Ephemeral identities. Lefty.

6. Recalcitrant and stubborn female is soldierly, not sultry.

7. Rebellion aroused - subjects found ignition sickening. Notoriously slain.

8. "Recruited." Assassin. Seriously faces issues speaking noteworthy saying.

9. "Really, avoid stories. Force? I show nuanced subtlety."

10. Noble centaur enjoys illicit liaison.

11. Recent Advisor stays, fighting injustice (slavery). Ninepenny slayer.

Theme???

The deadline for submissions is 9 a.m. Central European Time on Tuesday 20th December. 

21 hours ago, D'oh Gabe said:

SWMBO: thanks but I didn't think it was a good clue. ETA: I voted for yours, it was great.

Thanks to whomever gave mine a fave vote, I'm surprised but very grateful. Castellan's or SNA's or RB2G's would have been more deserving of a/another vote in my opinion.

Thanks DG for the vote, but I thought, once I saw the answer,and then reread his wiki page, that the clue was spot on! :cheers:

20 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

I voted for #7. Intertwined is quite artful but, at least for me, was obvious in single word. Ulmer made me think and I misinterpreted the clue at first. Which is a sign of appreciated subtlety.

I didn't bother looking at the rule set but apparently we're back to something that will endanger me based solely on my insistence not to submit easy clues. Which is fine. You should all just stay reading my mind a bit better...

I should also start earlier, as I managed to get all the clues right pretty quickly after starting. But anyone who's hosted knows my procrastination often wins out.

I agree Ser that for me the clue was too easy and therefore should not have gotten fav votes. Although I am grateful for the votes both author and favorites that put me over the top. ;)

5 hours ago, D'oh Gabe said:

I saw the quote N'onc 'Sniffer used about Catelyn's comment as to Brynden never marrying, but was convinced it was Sam, and I sometimes forget I might not be the smartest person in the room. I had also have seen the discussions in the forums north of the wall, but I don't always give those comments much thought during these games. :o

Now I am generating a clue to make even Ser scratch his head! :P

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 1:27 PM, Julia H. said:

The round has been won by SWMBO, who guessed all but one of the clues with spending only two points on yes/no questions, while her excellent clue has also received the highest number of favourite clue votes. Ser Not Appearing is in second place, running only two points behind SWMBO. The only clue he didn't guess was the extra one - and he only spent one point (to make sure that his final answers were all correct). Despite starting later than the others, Fragile Bird finishes the first round in the third place, flying ahead of the two players who submitted perfect answers - rocksniffer and Lady Blizzardborn - who both had a spending spree and delighted the host by purchasing a considerable number of answers and received bonus points as a result. The chasing pack also includes the inventor of the game, Gabe (who is not at all dolorous these days), the player-of-the-longest-name-to-type, Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer and Castellan, who are all only a few points behind. 

Anything is possible yet, watch out for the beginning of Round 2 - and send your clue if you haven't sent it yet!

Ok fine. I am changing my name back to what I originally had it as.

22 hours ago, D'oh Gabe said:

SWMBO: thanks but I didn't think it was a good clue. ETA: I voted for yours, it was great.

Thanks to whomever gave mine a fave vote, I'm surprised but very grateful. Castellan's or SNA's or RB2G's would have been more deserving of a/another vote in my opinion.

That was nice of you to say.

23 hours ago, D'oh Gabe said:

Well actually I voted for yours Gabe. I liked it because it seemed just hard enough but not too hard and took an unusual angle on the subject. My next choice would have been SWMBO. Thanks for the compliment, but I thought mine was very workaday. One step up from a list of adjectives, which is my last resort. 

1 hour ago, Castellan said:

Well actually I voted for yours Gabe. I liked it because it seemed just hard enough but not too hard and took an unusual angle on the subject. My next choice would have been SWMBO. Thanks for the compliment, but I thought mine was very workaday. One step up from a list of adjectives, which is my last resort. 

Thanks for the vote :D (I was trying to find a good balance of difficulty but I struggled with it)

Yes, yours was perhaps a little workaday, but I liked the collection of words you used.

I must say I thought the overall standard of clues was very good in R1.

8 hours ago, D'oh Gabe said:

<snip

That's actually the reason I got it right. At first I was thinking of Loras Tyrell, but the question mark and parentheses didn't seem to fit with him, given what we know courtesy of both the show and the author. 

6 minutes ago, Raisin' Bran said:

Thanks for that update. I think I have the theme but am having a very hard time with some of the clues fitting the theme.

Well, then either the theme or the answers to the clues have to be modified. ;)

Archived