The Last Kingdom II - NO MERCY [SPOlLERS Season I & II]

Veltigar

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Ah -- here, last year, a BBC nabob is bemoaning that it can't afford the quality programming it likes because of -- netflix.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/on-demand/2017-11-02/tony-hall-bbc-netflix-amazon/

to be fair netflix plus amazon prime costs  about the same as my BBC license fee and I think I get more value out of them than BBC. But Netflix is catering more for me as a target audience while BBC is supposed to cater equally for all the UK.

I thought BBC's new model was to make shows with an international appeal where they actually generate money eg Dr Who and Top Gear? I know that was the plan with Norrel and strange. It seems they need netflix/amazon as any easy customer/distributor to rest of world

14 minutes ago, red snow said:

to be fair netflix plus amazon prime costs  about the same as my BBC license fee and I think I get more value out of them than BBC. But Netflix is catering more for me as a target audience while BBC is supposed to cater equally for all the UK.

I thought BBC's new model was to make shows with an international appeal where they actually generate money eg Dr Who and Top Gear? I know that was the plan with Norrel and strange. It seems they need netflix/amazon as any easy customer/distributor to rest of world

Netflix targeting is insane to me. Especially the ‘shows similar to’ search, which will be like ‘ok, I get it’ for a few and then it’s like they were issued a challenge to try and find 2 media productions which have nothing in common but the medium. Or like maybe there’s a British cast member in both Downton Abbey and Deadpool.

12 hours ago, red snow said:

As you say, it's to cater for everyone. No way things like Countryfile, or Gardener's World, or hell, most of Attenborough's stuff gets made without the brief of providing for the otherwise ignred audience.

Personally, I'd say that BBC Earth is worth double the licence fee on it's own; whereas my mum would say the same of Radio 4; and BBC News is generally the least biased out there - though obviously, not as absent of bias as it should be.

Some programmes are kept on as they get sold overseas - but I don't think that's the point of any new shows; if they happen, then great (ALA Dr Who, Top Gear or Downton Abbey) but they're shows that develop that way, and last longer than usual as a result.

6 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

As you say, it's to cater for everyone. No way things like Countryfile, or Gardener's World, or hell, most of Attenborough's stuff gets made without the brief of providing for the otherwise ignred audience.

Personally, I'd say that BBC Earth is worth double the licence fee on it's own; whereas my mum would say the same of Radio 4; and BBC News is generally the least biased out there - though obviously, not as absent of bias as it should be.

Some programmes are kept on as they get sold overseas - but I don't think that's the point of any new shows; if they happen, then great (ALA Dr Who, Top Gear or Downton Abbey) but they're shows that develop that way, and last longer than usual as a result.

Minor nitpick but Downton Abbey was itv

7 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Minor nitpick but Downton Abbey was itv

7 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Fair enough - never watched it, so just assumed it was Auntie

Rule of thumb is a good itv show is one you think is by the BBC. eg season 1 of broadchurch.

Given how immensely popular attenborough's shows are (and they sell overseas too - i was at a live orchestra rendition of planet earth 2 in Berlin recently) I'm surprised Netflix hasn't attempted something similar. Although i suspect Attenborough created the F1 of wildlife documentary teams back when he was in the early days of BBC - their natural world programs are generally good. They'd need to poach some of the BBC staff and I suspect the natural history team are one of the few ones where license payers are happy their money is going.

I forgot about BBC radio and I agree that I probably spend as much time listening to their excellent podcasts as i do watching their shows.

And the BBC does make shows as potential marketable properties. I recall Eddie Marsan complaining about it in an interview when promoting "Strange and Mr Norrel". Shows like "War and Peace" etc are definitely made with the intention of selling. Otherwise they couldn't justify the cost of making them (which is why they are often co-productions). I do agree that trying to engineer a Dr Who or Top Gear is impossible but i think BBCs approach at trying different things (as is there remit) increases the chance of generating the next big show. They have a good track record with comedy too (although channel 4 is good in that department too)

For an example of sales elsewhere and co-production -- Versailles.  I love this series, though Some seem not to!  :fencing:

Then, I'm a total sucker for anything with swords.  Ooooo, the BBC Musketeers!  My all-time favorite.

4 hours ago, red snow said:

Given how immensely popular attenborough's shows are (and they sell overseas too - i was at a live orchestra rendition of planet earth 2 in Berlin recently) I'm surprised Netflix hasn't attempted something similar. 

Ah but Netflix has in fact got a big one in the pen, created by Planet Earth luminaries, narrated by Sir David himself.

https://www.netflix.com/nl/title/80049832

https://www.thebookseller.com/news/transworld-acquires-our-planet-netflix-tie-647996

Transworld is publishing the tie-in to a new eight-part natural history series, narrated by David Attenborough, from the creators of BBC's "Planet Earth" Alastair Fothergill and Keith Scholey. 

The show "Our Planet" premieres on Netflix in spring 2019 and expects to draw in an audience of one billion viewers. The four-year project will take viewers to never-before-filmed places, from the ice caps and deep oceans to deserts and remote forests to showcase the importance of the natural world and the challenges it faces today.

8 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Ah but Netflix has in fact got a big one in the pen, created by Planet Earth luminaries, narrated by Sir David himself.

https://www.netflix.com/nl/title/80049832

https://www.thebookseller.com/news/transworld-acquires-our-planet-netflix-tie-647996

Spoke too soon! I guess everyone has a price :)

That's a big audience they are expexting. I'm guessing that's how many viewers the Attenborough helmed nature programs get over time when distributed?

Here's hoping it has a similar affect on a world audience as Blue Planet 2 has had on the UK. It feels like that show single-handedly changed people's attitudes to plastic. Although I'm sure the UK government had it planned but must have been releived when the public suddenly embraced the changes. It's rare people applaud taxes.

• 6 months later...

Netflix has released the first official image from season 3.Season 3 will have 10 episodes, two more than in seasons 1 and 2.Taking on the role of the Danish warrior Bloodhair in season three will be Ola Rapace.Along with Rapace, Timothy Innes will be joining as Edward, Tygo Gernandt as Jackdaw and Thea Sofie Loch Naess as Skade.

28 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Netflix has released the first official image from season 3.Season 3 will have 10 episodes, two more than in seasons 1 and 2.Taking on the role of the Danish warrior Bloodhair in season three will be Ola Rapace.Along with Rapace, Timothy Innes will be joining as Edward, Tygo Gernandt as Jackdaw and Thea Sofie Loch Naess as Skade.

I always feel they should write "uhtred, son of uhtred" when mentioning the character. Glad it's finally coming back. This show is on a game of thrones schedule without the viewers.

If episode 1 is screening at the end of October presumably we get the season started before the end of the year. About time, I’m looking forward to this. I chartered territory for me, I haven’t read past book 3 because the length of the series seems too daunting now, and I don’t know if he has an end in sight.

Arseling!

4 hours ago, red snow said:

I always feel they should write "uhtred, son of uhtred" when mentioning the character. Glad it's finally coming back. This show is on a game of thrones schedule without the viewers.

In Forza Horizon 4 you can buy Bamburgh Castle (nee Bebbanburg). I just can't help shouting, 'I am Uhtred, son of Uhtred!' every time I drive through it. :D:D:D

9 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Also,exclusive screening of S3 Ep1 at MCM ComicCon London on 27th Oct,hopefully we get a trailer as well.

Cornwell well be special guest in S3.

Is he playing the part of Uhtred son of Uhtred, in War of the Wolf?

Archived