The Last Kingdom II - NO MERCY [SPOlLERS Season I & II]

Veltigar

It’s rare I binge watch but I’m considering it. Cant wait

I watched four episodes. So a couple comments up to end of episode four 

loved the first episode, wasn’t sold on Skades actress but she kinda won me over by the end of the ep. Over the top but Skade was always going to be hard to pull off. One downfall of the shows relentless pacing is characters are gone so soon! Gisla was great

:( 

Uhtreds escape from Winchester in episode two was absurd. Don’t know why the writers thought it was necessary to have him take Alfred hostage for a moment instead of just slinking away. Loved Leofric haunting Uhtred though. 

Have enjoyed Finan getting a bit more screen time and I hope Osferth can prove to be as much of a useful member of Uhtreds crew as he is in the books. He’s been kind of a let down characterization wise so far

The ending of episode four was a pretty extreme deviation from the source material. Having Ragnar die off screen was never going to happen like it did in the books but the way he went out left a real sour taste in my mouth.

It's hilarious -- when I booted up this AM, even before checking e-mail and such, though not before I checked the weather forecasts, I went to Netflix to see if 'it' -- i.e. 'New Episodes' was there, and yes!  :thumbsup:  Though I can't start watching yet.  Gotta work.  :thumbsdown:  :laugh:

I just watched the first episode. Really strong opening.

Spoiler

I don't recall much of book 5, but I didn't expect a full blown shield wall battle in episode 1. That was a delight. Though, I still don't know why some of the Saxons use rectangular shields.

Already loving Aetheflaed.

I finished as well. 

not a fan of what they did to the blood children of Ragnar the Fearless. Thyras death felt especially pointless and done for shock. My favorite bits of the season were mostly around Alfred, Edward and Athelflead. Athelflead is my favorite character on the show now that Alfred has passed. I liked what they did with Aldhelm.

I am even savoring my anticipation for watching this.  Just haven't the time to do so yet.  Thanksgiving week is always packed with work and visitors and so on, with the day itself making a hole the week beyond doing anything beyond eating and socializing with the loves and friends.  Then one has to race to catch-up and start  falling into the pressures of finishing projects and obligations before Christmas and New Year's.  And preparing for the Big Travels of the early part of next year.  (Gotta say, I'm really really REALLY tired of traveling.)

5 episodes in

Spoiler

I must say I didn't expect so much divergence from the books, unlike the previous two seasons. Now I don't recall much of these books, but I know the main events so far didn't happen like that.

However, one thing the show has done is keep certain characters longer in the story, unlike what Cornwell did. And to be fair, I like that certain characters are given more to do, and are not being simply written off, as in the books. For example, I like how much the show developed the relationship between Beocca and Thyra.

And now same with Ragnar. His death was extremely tragic, when he tried to reach for his sword, and shitbrains Aethelwold didn't know he was simply trying to hold on to it to enter Valhalla was one of the saddest moments on this show so far. I do hate that his death implies he got his karma, not allowing Kjartan to hold on to his sword when he died. I don't know why they didn't burn him. Uhtred went through the trouble to exhume his wife and put her on a pyre, but they didn't do the same with Ragnar. A quick line revealing that there wasn't enough dry wood would have fixed that. 

40 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

5 episodes in

Reveal hidden contents

I must say I didn't expect so much divergence from the books, unlike the previous two seasons. Now I don't recall much of these books, but I know the main events so far didn't happen like that.

However, one thing the show has done is keep certain characters longer in the story, unlike what Cornwell did. And to be fair, I like that certain characters are given more to do, and are not being simply written off, as in the books. For example, I like how much the show developed the relationship between Beocca and Thyra.

And now same with Ragnar. His death was extremely tragic, when he tried to reach for his sword, and shitbrains Aethelwold didn't know he was simply trying to hold on to it to enter Valhalla was one of the saddest moments on this show so far. I do hate that his death implies he got his karma, not allowing Kjartan to hold on to his sword when he died. I don't know why they didn't burn him. Uhtred went through the trouble to exhume his wife and put her on a pyre, but they didn't do the same with Ragnar. A quick line revealing that there wasn't enough dry wood would have fixed that. 

yeah, that did not make any sense, its as if they did not rewatch the previous episode 

5 hours ago, Corvinus said:

5 episodes in

Hide contents

I felt the same.  Somehow please Ragnar, I hope Brida gets you into Valhalla.  I'm more than certain Brida will make certain someone dies very very very very badly for this. But -- destiny is all.

Yah, when I went for season 3 I binged hard, through the first four episodes.  It feels as though we've already covered entire kingdoms and years, meaning that each episode is packed.  None of it is filler either.  But it doesn't feel rushed.  This impressive screen story-telling, very impressive.  A lot of the credit goes to the actors, as well as the set dressers and location cinematographers.  Very, very good.

32 minutes ago, briantw said:

I think the only thing I dislike about this show is that basically every problem could be solved by the characters not just being complete assholes about it.

Alfred badly miscalculated. The entire story could have been avoided if he had simply appealed to Uhtred's sense of honor rather than trying to manipulate and force him one more time to swear another oath of loyalty. 

5 minutes ago, Pecan said:

Alfred badly miscalculated. The entire story could have been avoided if he had simply appealed to Uhtred's sense of honor rather than trying to manipulate and force him one more time to swear another oath of loyalty. 

Or at least rebuked the asshole priest for calling Uhtred's wife a whore.  NOBODY CALLS ANYBODY'S WIFE A WHORE AND LIVES.  Period.  The asshole was lucky.  But no -- I AM THE KING.  Well, then, kingy-wingy, you allow an asshole to basely insult my dead wife -- whom you also actually liked and whose food and ale you consumed with pleasure -- EEEEFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

In this case Alfred is the one entirely at fault.  He just can't stand needing a pagan to keep his kingdom, a pagan who does all the things he cannot do, but somebody goddmaned better do if he wants a kingdom.  Which Uhtred has done for him and his family over and over and over.

Totes with Uhtred here.  (Though I understand why Alfred blew it, and it was a great acting, fulfilling the character and I appreciated it very much.)

Finished it tonight. Great stuff, though completely different from the books. The actor playing Skade was dreadful, whilst everyone else was brilliant - Dawson in particular. Bloodhair and Haesten were beyond useless, reminded me of those Viz characters, the Pathetic Vikings. 

4 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Finished it tonight. Great stuff, though completely different from the books. The actor playing Skade was dreadful, whilst everyone else was brilliant - Dawson in particular. Bloodhair and Haesten were beyond useless, reminded me of those Viz characters, the Pathetic Vikings. 

David Dawson really is one heck of an actor. 

17 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Up through episode 6 now.  

Agree with bolded, partly because she's badly written and partly because her facial parts -- the pouty lips etc. are so contemporary -- she doesn't look right for the part.  She was clueless how to play the role too -- sometimes it looked as though she desperately was trying to channel Fimmel as Ragnar Lothbrok or even Skarsgård as Floki.  :laugh:  She's a pure California girl (at least by looks) and is time traveled right out of her element, i.e. not a good enough actor to overcome her face and body language.

Thank Thor for Brida though!

6 hours ago, Zorral said:

Up through episode 6 now.  

Agree with bolded, partly because she's badly written and partly because her facial parts -- the pouty lips etc. are so contemporary -- she doesn't look right for the part.  She was clueless how to play the role too -- sometimes it looked as though she desperately was trying to channel Fimmel as Ragnar Lothbrok or even Skarsgård as Floki.  :laugh:  She's a pure California girl (at least by looks) and is time traveled right out of her element, i.e. not a good enough actor to overcome her face and body language.

Thank Thor for Brida though!

It was tiresome to watch her. I couldn't wait for her to get off the screen. It was both the character and the actor in my opinion. 

Archived