Babylon 5

Werthead

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Io has a huge amount of energy production facilities on it, which Earthforce uses to fuel its entire fleet. That's why there's a big colony there (built under a massively radiation-shielded dome in an area of the moon that's tectonically stable). The colony is also on the far side of the moon to Jupiter (Io is tidally locked to the planet). It's a little bit of a stretch but nothing too bad.

Speaking of Io - Its name drop in various episodes has often confused me. Why does Babylon 5 seem to serve as a transit point between Io and Earth, or other place?

Edited by Corvinus

10 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Speaking of Io - Its name drop in various episodes has often confused me. Why does Babylon 5 seem to serve as a transit point between Io and Earth, or other place?

It isn't, although Babylon 5 appears to be located between several of the major alien races and B5 and its construction has created a vital new trade nexus (since Epsilon Eridani is officially uninhabited, no-one was bold enough to establish a junction there before; also, being in neutral space annexing it would have been politically dubious). However, Io is the location of the Solar system's only standing jump gate (like the one near B5): all trips by non jump-capable ships from Earth or Mars to other star systems have to pass by Io. So a lot of ships travel from B5 to Io on their way to Earth or Mars and vice versa.

6 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

I really like the show. I just have one major issue: I'm no astrophysicist so I could be completely wrong on this--it really bothers me that Io is apparently a stable Earth colony. Isn't that moon so small and so close to the much larger Jupiter such that the proximity is essentially turning the moon inside-out through volcanic eruptions? Every time someone mentions the Io colony I'm kind of bothered. But like I said, I don't have the scientific knowledge to back this.

I never studied Io in grad school, but I can tell you that's planetary geology, not astrophysics.  Quite different.  I only mention this to say that letting astronomers decide that Pluto isn't a planet is stupid, since they do not even study planets other than their albedo and orbits and interactions with other objects (which is astronomy not astrophysics), but rather geologists study things like tectonism and vulcanism, and deciphering the chronology of a planet's development over time.   /rant.

3 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

I never studied Io in grad school, but I can tell you that's planetary geology, not astrophysics.  Quite different.  I only mention this to say that letting astronomers decide that Pluto isn't a planet is stupid, since they do not even study planets other than their albedo and orbits and interactions with other objects (which is astronomy not astrophysics), but rather geologists study things like tectonism and vulcanism, and deciphering the chronology of a planet's development over time.   /rant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarf_planet

Well since the reason why a dwarf planet is categorized thus has to do with orbits, I would say astronomers do have a saying.

42 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarf_planet

Well since the reason why a dwarf planet is categorized thus has to do with orbits, I would say astronomers do have a saying.

That's circular logic.  Astronomers decided to invent the term dwarf planet, based on non-geological characteristics, when they are not the ones who study planets.  The term didn't exist before.  They didn't just find it in a trash bin some where.  A definition based on "not clearing the neighborhood of the orbit" of other objects when Jupiter, Neptune, Mars, Earth, Uranus, and Venus don't even do that (all have trojan asteroids in their lagrangian points) and the criteria is both wrong and not useful in any way.

Edited by SpaceChampion

The term dwarf planet did pre-exist, as it was often applied to Ceres (and sometimes Vesta, Eros and the other big asteroids). The argument for applying it to Pluto was that thousands of objects of Pluto size or less should exist out in the Kuiper Belt so we'd end up with a Solar system consisting of thousands of planets if a new category was not invented. The discovery of Eris backs that up, although we haven't found too much else in that category apart from Makemake and Sedna (although finding these things is extremely hard, with their orbits located far beyond Pluto).

Brad Dourif is one of my favorite actors, he saved the one episode IMO, I only wish he'd been given a larger role in the B5 world.  His character and arc in ST Voyager was fantastic, particularly his final episode, it was one of the few redeeming things about ST V from my perspective. 

Interesting read as usual, I particularly enjoy the "behind the scenes" information.  The convent and nuns bit, this is a specific example of one of the many reasons I enjoy reading Werthead's work and analysis. 

Edited by SerHaHa

Cheers.

Season 3, Episodes 5-7

Voices of Authority is fun, even if the way they find the evidence to incriminate Clark is...unlikely. Dust to Dust is quite strong for its G'Kar and Bester storylines, but it's annoying they never followed up on Talia's fate. Exogenesis is kind of okay, but fizzles out. Nice to see Corwin have more to do for once.

Something I'm really enjoying is catching up on the actors. Finding out that Shari Shattuck (Julie Musante, Sheridan's "political officer") is now a bestselling novelist was quite a surprise.

Edited by Werthead

On 11/20/2017 at 2:47 PM, Werthead said:

Io has a huge amount of energy production facilities on it, which Earthforce uses to fuel its entire fleet. That's why there's a big colony there (built under a massively radiation-shielded dome in an area of the moon that's tectonically stable). The colony is also on the far side of the moon to Jupiter (Io is tidally locked to the planet). It's a little bit of a stretch but nothing too bad.

Thanks. Funny thing, soon as I read this reply and therefore became less bothered by it, they stopped mentioning it.

I made the mistake of marathoning through the show. Now I'm on S5E1, but I feel like there's a lot of information I didn't properly process. I blame the show because every episode just made me want to watch the next one really badly :D. I'm going to pace myself now, mostly because I'm running out of episodes and I've become rather attached. Can't believe I'm only watching this in 2017.

Also,

Spoiler

I'm not over Kosh's death. I keep hoping he'll come back, even though the First Ones are now all gone anyway.

BABYLON 5 Rewatch: Season 3, Episodes 15-16

Two important arc-episodes, but Interludes and Examinations is a genuinely powerful, well-written episode (despite it also being the first episode of anything ever that I had spoiled for me by the internet) and War Without End Part 1 is a kludging, ham-fisted mess of exposition.