Babylon 5

Werthead

Season 4 dvd's are sitting there ready to go, next to the kitchen  cutting board where all the green onions get diced in prep for microwave burritos.   After rewatching DS9 on the Heroes & Investigation channel, I started feeling some survivor's guilt over Babylon 5 going un-rewatched.   Now it's time for the real TV space station of innovation to fight back and even things up. 

Handsome Bruce has made his appearance, and he is 500% better than O'Hare.  B5 still not very impressive overall, I'm actually wondering what it is that my former self was so entranced by, I'm not sure I would watch it now if I hadn't watched it then.  It still has some great elements but, so much more kitschy and corny and really, really uneven than I remembered.   

Edited by Cas Stark

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

Handsome Bruce has made his appearance, and he is 500% better than O'Hare.  B5 still not very impressive overall, I'm actually wondering what it is that my former self was so entranced by, I'm not sure I would watch it now if I hadn't watched it then.  It still has some great elements but, so much more kitschy and corny and really, really uneven than I remembered.   

I have similar feelings about Stargate SG-1, at least the early seasons. I loved the show growing up, but maybe it's because I grew up. (somewhat)

4 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I have similar feelings about Stargate SG-1, at least the early seasons. I loved the show growing up, but maybe it's because I grew up. (somewhat)

Where all the planets they visited turn out to be in the American/Canadian Pacific Northwest?

;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Resurrecting this one as Warner Bros. have now released  the "remastered" Babylon 5 -- in the 4:3 display format used on television in the original airing -- on HBO Max as well as digital purchase via iTunes and perhaps other sources.

Per the Endgadget piece, Warner says that they went to the negatives, scanned them in 4k, did some scratch and dust clean up, and some color correction before pulling it down to HD. However, any scene with CGI (space scenes, composite backgrounds) are just straight upscaled.

This gives a sense of the improvement you can expect. As others have been remarking, this is probably as good as it's ever going to get, unless they somehow convince fans who've been re-rendering the CGI as a hobby will allow them to use them (and it doesn't really fix the compositing issue).

Edited by Ran

1 hour ago, Ran said:

any scene with CGI (space scenes, composite backgrounds) are just straight upscaled.

Upscaled from the 4:3 SD masters should still look significantly better than the cropped and zoomed 16:9 versions, though. Any word on a blu-ray release?

1 minute ago, felice said:

Upscaled from the 4:3 SD masters should still look significantly better than the cropped and zoomed 16:9 versions, though. Any word on a blu-ray release?

Apparently Blu-rays have been listed at various sites, with March dates or maybe December dates -- no one's quite sure, near as I can tell, but it seems likely.

Edited by Ran

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I think Bruce Boxlightner and Peter Jurasick are the last of the opening credits characters left.

Am I correct?

Claudia Christian, Andrea Thompson, Bill Mumy, and Caitlin Brown were also in the opening credits in S1.