U.S. Politics: 2016 Election Goes To Overtime

Noneofyourbusiness

2 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

Right.  Because the only reasons anyone would ever buy guns and ammo at that specific time is because they feared an outright ban and confiscation of guns.

I mean, it's obvious.

That sales spike every four years for the past twelve years like clockwork? Sure, total coincidence, I'm sure. 

Just now, LongRider said:

I have to call bullshit on this one.  The ad I saw in Nevada this election season said explicitly that Clinton would take your gun away, something they have been scaremongering with about Obama too.

This does nothing to counteract the argument I'm making, since I did not deny that some people say this.

I saw an ad with a soundbite of Clinton saying something like 'The supreme court was dead wrong about the second amendment'.  Is that the ad you're talking about?

6 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

That sales spike every four years for the past twelve years like clockwork? Sure, total coincidence, I'm sure. 

Coincidence that the NRA advertises heavily in the swing states every four years about how those scary liberals will take your guns!   Believe it!  We hardly have any now thanks to them. 

4 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

I saw an ad with a soundbite of Clinton saying something like 'The supreme court was dead wrong about the second amendment'.  Is that the ad you're talking about?

No, it was a scary ad about a woman waking in the dark night because of prowler in her house and when she reached into her bedside gun safe the safe and gun vanished because Clinton would take our guns away!     Hilarious ad (to me) with scary dark night, scary prowler, poor innocent white woman all alone without her gun to protect home and hearth.    :ack:

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Come on man.  You're smarter than this.  I didn't say it was a coincidence.

I'm saying that there are reasons beyond 'I'm afraid <xxx> is going to confiscate my guns' that people buy when those election results come in.

Not the least of which is that it may get more difficult/more expensive to buy due to implementation of 'common sense gun regulation'.

You're doing exactly the kind of caricature building I'm talking about.  Assuming that anyone who bought ammo based on Obama's election was afraid of outright ban/confiscation.  

1 minute ago, LongRider said:

Coincidence that the NRA advertises heavily in the swing states every four years about how those scary liberals will take your guns!   Believe it!  We hardly have any now thanks to them. 

Now, it was a scary ad about a woman waking in the dark night because of prowler in her house and when she reached into her bedside gun safe the safe and gun vanished because Clinton would take our guns away!     Hilarious ad (to me) with scary dark night, scary prowler, poor innocent white woman all alone without her gun to protect home and hearth.    :ack:

You choose to interpret 'take our guns away' as confiscation.  To many gun owners, this means onerous regulation, which is a legitimate and reasonable concern, and so that ad would resonate, because people are able to parse it. I realize it's more fun for you to take these things literally, but that's not the whole story.

1 minute ago, Swordfish said:

You choose to interpret 'take our guns away' as confiscation.  To many gun owners, this means onerous regulation, which is a legitimate and reasonable concern, and so that ad would resonate, because people are able to parse it. I realize it's more fun for you to take these things literally, but that's not the whole story.

And yet, the people of Nevada voted in more gun regulation.  Guess they weren't fooled by the NRA and understand that not all regulation is onerous.

1 minute ago, Swordfish said:

The spin here is dizzying.

Just now, Swordfish said:

con·fis·ca·tion
ˌkänfəˈskāSH(ə)n/
noun

1. the action of taking or seizing someone's property with authority; seizure.

Use a different word if you mean something else. 'Onerous regulation' does not equate to 'take our guns away'. It is not legitimate and reasonable to equate the two. 

2 minutes ago, Week said:
con·fis·ca·tion
ˌkänfəˈskāSH(ə)n/
noun

Use a different word if you mean something else. 'Onerous regulation' does not equate to 'take our guns away'. It is not legitimate and reasonable to equate the two. 

And the ad I saw was about  CONFISCATION.   LOL. that's why the gun safe in the ad disappeared! 

6 minutes ago, LongRider said:

And yet, the people of Nevada voted in more gun regulation.  Guess they weren't fooled by the NRA and understand that not all regulation is onerous.

Indeed.  

Almost makes you think that not all gun owners believe that all regulation is tantamount to confiscation, huh? 

Nah.... Can't be true....  

5 minutes ago, Week said:
con·fis·ca·tion
ˌkänfəˈskāSH(ə)n/
noun

Pedantic argument acknowledged and given due consideration. 

My rebuttal:

con·text
ˈkäntekst/
noun

1. the circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood and assessed.
    "the decision was taken within the context of planned cuts in spending"
    synonyms: circumstances, conditions, factors, state of affairs, situation, background, scene, settingMore

• the parts of something written or spoken that immediately precede and follow a word or passage and clarify its meaning.
      "word processing is affected by the context in which words appear

2 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Just going to leave these here, as they are far more entertaining and effective than any argument i could post...

I'm at work, so the likelihood that I will watch/listen to those is zero.  Sorry.

Archived