Knightfall - History Channel's upcoming tv drama about The Knights Templar

AncalagonTheBlack

You know what he had amazing trailers?   Legion and TABOO.  Legion is a hot mess of cool visuals  in search of a compelling story...TABOO is an utter snooze.  And to see the raves on here it seems any Emperor's New CLothes series gets raved about despite both those shows utterly collapsing in the ratings.  

The show  might indeed be shit, but I'm not one of the kewl contrarian hipper than the room kids here so I'll give a show from Jeremy Renner that's clearly marked in production on those tapes a chance rather than be a smug hater.  

Legion ratings

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/legion-tv-show-fx-season-one-ratings/

Taboo Ratings

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/taboo-season-one-ratings/

Clearly these shows are so awesome people can't wait to jump ship.

I am fascinated by the Knights Templar.  I was deeply disappointed by Assassin's Creed which was godawful.  But the cult of Comic Book Guy meets Aint it Cool News Hater is too much.  Zorral literally says this about the show based on a trailer:  "One has doubts that there will be much if anything included in such a show that will teach anyone anything about the historical Knights Templars."

Here's something you may want to post, Zorral-- I WAS WRONG.  Last I checked there's a character talking about 9 Knights founding the order 200 years ago.  He doesn't name check Hugues de Payens by name, but yes-- the 200 years and 9 knights is historically correct as are their Friday the 13th dates.

Maybe the show will be an utter train wreck (After all, what's Jeremy Renner been in that's any good? I'm sure he knows nothing about making a good series. Zorral really should be making the show)  But its so fucking tedious seeing people declaring it to be this or that before it even airs...

And lest you think I'm picking on Zorral (who I actually agree with on FRONTIER-- that show is hot garbage); its pervasive in so many threads.  Something looks edgy and people ooh and ahh as if it has tremendous profundity.  Even Westworld, which I enjoy, is not a very deep show thematically at all about a robot uprising.   But the visuals, which are stellar, make people think its deeper than it is.  The Night Of is pretty excellent, and people damn it with faint praise.   And don't get me started on the absurd Vikings hate.  So many threads here are through the looking glass, Alice. 

The trailers don't look promising. But I might check it out if I haven't got anything else to watch at the time

Can we please stop the whole "ratings" battle before it starts? It's so tedious and pointless and just kills the thread

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

The trailers don't look promising. But I might check it out if I haven't got anything else to watch at the time

Can we please stop the whole "ratings" battle before it starts? It's so tedious and pointless and just kills the thread

Well, aside from the fact that the one with footage is an "in production" sales tape that keeps getting ripped down off the internet, not technically a released trailer, it still looks infinitely better than The Last Kingdom Season 2 trailer:

I couldn't disagree more about ratings.  Westworld ratings actually GREW.  And you know what ratings mean?  Audience engagement and cultural relevance.  

Ratings plummeting means the opposite, viewers were not engaged.

When you're talking about storytelling, engagement matters.  If people declare a movie brilliant but half the audience walked out, its relevant to the conversation.

Or got turned down by the BBC.  Or got into a shouting match with Cornwell.  He's obsessed with Vikings the greatest evah and equally obsessed by The Last Kingdom the worst evah!  Anything is betterern TLK, even contentless trailers. Weird way to live, yah?  :D

It's been well established I'm Michael HIrst! 

Zorral do the words "I was wrong" physically wound you?  Are you incapable of saying them? The Templar show may be shit, who knows, but you were WRONG when you said the Renner show would have nothing if anything to teach anyone about the historical knights Templar.  From the Trailers alone:

200 Years ago 9 knights founded our order.  Check. 

The Templars fought in the second and third Crusades, they were elite.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Montgisard

Check. 

Friday the 13th, 1307 the Templars vanished (hyperbole, but their order ended there) 

Check.

Love certain know it alls on this board who jump to conclusions to make themselves seem smart, but can't admit when they're wrong. 

You no nothing about the Templars, Jon Snow. 

The Templars didn't disappear -- that's woo woo shyte.  :lmao:  Like measuring the pyramids to learn the foundation date of the creation of the world blahblahblah. 

The Templars were systematically destroyed throughout Europe in 1307 and later for several reasons, but principally by monarchs and other power elites who perceived rightly that the power controlled by their international organization was in conflict with the interests of their own nascent nation states and royal domination. This included the powerful banking and mercantile city states such as Genoa and Venice who saw the Templars as competition -- particularly in the east, particularly as the Ottomans became dominant.

First of all, way to change the subject from you being factually wrong to what I know about the Templars.

You not only can't admit when you're wrong which is downright Trumpian at this  juncture, but you prove my point.  

(And you have no idea what I know and don't know about the Templars and I'd happily engage in a speed round with you of Templar knowledge that would prevent you from google searching.  ) 

On Friday the 13th, 1307, the Templar leadership, most notably Jacques De Molay their Grand Master, was arrested and the Order was de facto made illegal in France which was their primary base of operations.  The Knights Templar in France ceased to exist.  Disappeared.  

But you're so crazy smart you think the copy should read:

"On Friday the 13th, The Templars were systematically destroyed throughout Europe in 1307 and later for several reasons, but principally by monarchs and other power elites who perceived rightly that the power controlled by their international organization was in conflict with the interests of their own nascent nation states and royal domination. This included the powerful banking and mercantile city states such as Genoa and Venice who saw the Templars as competition -- particularly in the east, particularly as the Ottomans became dominant."

wow.   What a grabber.   How are you not working in marketing?  

Your statement is also factually wrong.  The Genoans had ZERO to do with the end of the Templars.  The Knights Templar were ended as an order by 2 people, the cash strapped Philip the Fair of France and Pope Clement V.  Pope Clement later pardoned the Templars for their alleged misdeeds.  Google " Chinon Parchment" smart guy.

One "nascent nation state" that welcomed the Templars and did not eschew them was Portugal, but because the Templars were made illegal by a French King and a Catholic Pope, and allowed them to reconstitute under the name the Knights of Christ.  

But yes, for all intents and purposes the Order of the Knights Templar, and vast amounts of their wealth, VANISHED ON FRIDAY THE 13th, 1307.  As in the Templars no longer existed legally, and Philip was unable to seize most of their wealth because they were clever buggers who hid it.

5 hours ago, Zorral said:

You no nothing about the Templars, Jon Snow. 

The Templars didn't disappear -- that's woo woo shyte.  :lmao:  Like measuring the pyramids to learn the foundation date of the creation of the world blahblahblah. 

The Templars were systematically destroyed throughout Europe in 1307 and later for several reasons, but principally by monarchs and other power elites who perceived rightly that the power controlled by their international organization was in conflict with the interests of their own nascent nation states and royal domination. This included the powerful banking and mercantile city states such as Genoa and Venice who saw the Templars as competition -- particularly in the east, particularly as the Ottomans became dominant.

Hey Zorral... cat got your tongue?  

Knights Templar Grand Master Jacques De Molay answered to...who exactly? Who was the boss of this boss? Was it Pope Clement 5th?  That's a Bingo. 

And after the arrest of the Knights Templar on Friday October 13th, 1307 by King Philip of France who owed the Templars major money (Templars were rich bankers who loaned money among other things), .. Do you know what Philip's buddy Avignon Pope Clement did?  Clement followed up Philip's Templar arrests with the following:   issuing a little something  a month later called the Pastoralis Praeeminentiae on November 22, 1307.   See the Pastoralis Praeeminentiae is a Papal Bull that ordered all Christian Monarchs to arrest all Knights Templar on sight and to seize their properties on behalf of the Church.  That meant that it was basically illegal to be a Templar in any Christian Kingdom in 1307.  It wasn't "years later" and it wasn't "monarchs and other power elites" it was Philip IV for very specific reasons I won't bore you with and an Avignon Pope.  In 1307 and onwards, it was illegal to be a Knights Templar in  a Christian Kingdom, not "years later."     

Pray tell, how did "Genoa and Venice" have the power to destroy the Knights Templar when they answered to the Pope?  Literally two dudes ended the Templars, a French King who reigned where they were based  and his buddy (and the Templar boss) a French Pope. 

So to recap, on Friday the 13, 1307, the Templar leadership and many of their order were arrested on order of a French King (not "monarchs and other power elites") and the Templars fled and went underground.  A month later their boss, the Pope, officially made it illegal to be a Templar.  Templars were to be arrested on site, their shit confiscated.  And since the remaining Templars scattered to various places in 1307 after the arrest of their leadership for fear of imprisonment, arrest,  and torture... You could say that on Friday the 13, 1307, the Templars "vanished." Because after Friday the 13, 1307, they ceased to exist and scattered to the winds. 

Now, I know its hard, but put on your big boy pants and repeat after me:  "I was wrong." 

13 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

How the hell does a discussion about a show no one's seen turn into an antagonistic 'I'm right you're wrong!' thing? Just bizarre.

How long have you been posting on the board?  (A considerable period I get it)

I'll be sure to check the first episode but this smacks very much of some guy who works for history saying "Vikings is in serious franchise fatigue we need something to capture that demographic"   

• 7 months later...

Archived