Babylon's Ashes: The Expanse Book 6 (Spoilers)

Rhom

10 hours ago, williamjm said:

but it's perhaps not entirely plausible that a character from an earlier book is the only one who can solve this problem.

Still, this is a common trope. I disappointed that I can’t find a TV Tropes entry for this.

• 2 weeks later...

So, Strange Dogs.

Pet Semetary in space. I enjoyed it, but not as much as the last (crazy scientist.) The alienation was good (Paris/Earth/parents versus home/Laconia/me). The Paris-food killed the sunbird. The soldier killed her brother. Laconia brought them back.

Like in Ilus, I am surprised the settlers have done so little cataloguing. This makes no sense to me. My intuition is that they should know more about their ecosystem. In part because they’re curious (humans do that wherever they go, and always have), in parts because Expanse humans are heavily scientific, well-educated. They ought to start sciencing the shit out of Laconia, if only to get their names on the article in Nature. 

And need to survive in a potentially hostile and dangerous environment.

So their ignorance and incuriosity surprises me. They should have attempted some basic Linnean taxonomy, done some geology, etc. And they should have taught their 10-year olds (instead of complex multiplication.)  

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a bit behind but I recently finished Babylon's Ashes. I thought it was ok but I had a few issues with it given the events of the previous book.

I see a few people have said something similar but my main issue was Michio Pa's a monster, she's one of the worst war criminals in the history of the human race. She must have been involved in the deaths of friends or family members of most of the surviving population of Earth, I think it's stretching credulity that she wouldn't be getting a bullet to the back of the head let alone a position of power and responsibility. I could see a redemption arc for Filip, who's basically a child soldier who's been indoctrinated since birth, but Pa voluntarily joined up and doesn't even seem to ever express any regret over being involved in murdering billions of people.

• 1 month later...

On the "sentinel" that is eating ships at the gates:

I'd be very confused if it just ended up being some fueling feature of the gates.  It has got to be related to what killed the proto-Masters.

It is described in many terms that match or overlap with the "murder weapon" ("eye of an angry god") in Cibola Burn.  You know, the one that proto-Miller leads Holden and eventually Elvi to and uses to shut down the proto-Masters' old technology that had been waking up.  When humans experience it, reality dissolves into its separate atomic and subatomic particles and the human subjects "gain" the ability to sense the space between them all.  Somehow Elvi survives, but notice that both Sauveterre in the epilogue of Nemesis Games and Inaros, from their points of view as they lose their lives to it notice the same phenomenon.  What seemed to be matter appears to dissolve in their perception into particles with space between them.

Difference is, in that strange altered state, something comes after Sauveterre and Inaros, and everyone on their ships, in a way that doesn't happen for Elvi in Cibola Burn when she experiences it.  They die, she survives.  Perhaps there are two somethings.  The something that causes the altered perception of space that is common to the Cibola Burn murder weapon and the phenomenon at the gates, but at the gates, somehow there is also something else in that altered space or dimension that intentionally or unintentionally kills/disappears people.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I'm really looking forward to see what is beyond the Laconia Gate in Persepolis Rising.  Two more weeks. :)

Gah!  I had lost track of the release date and didn't realize it was so close!!!

And I just started Oathbringer last night... not a chance I'm done with that in two weeks.  :unsure:

9 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I'm really looking forward to this book.  Glad its not taking the easy road.

He didn't say if the sudden swerve was a good thing...

I am really hoping that they are done with the Solar system and the wars between humans. So far we have had just one book outside of the Solar system, and with only three books remaining, I hope that the authors take the more difficult route on exploring other planets and actually start giving some answers for the proto-molecule, its masters and what killed them. I would be disappointed if the mysteries aren't resolved.

59 minutes ago, TheRevanchist said:

I am really hoping that they are done with the Solar system and the wars between humans. So far we have had just one book outside of the Solar system, and with only three books remaining, I hope that the authors take the more difficult route on exploring other planets and actually start giving some answers for the proto-molecule, its masters and what killed them. I would be disappointed if the mysteries aren't resolved.

Not all mysteries can be solved.  One solution generally leads to completely different mysteries.  That is the nature of knowledge.  I'd hate it if every question is answered at the end of the series.

42 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Not all mysteries can be solved.  One solution generally leads to completely different mysteries.  That is the nature of knowledge.  I'd hate it if every question is answered at the end of the series.

Not every question, but there should be some answers for the proto-molecule creators and what destroyed them. The entire story was created on that.

If not, I would feel a bit cheated. Like when I finished watching Lost.

On 11/20/2017 at 9:43 PM, Kalbear said:

I won't spoil, but I will say that the first two chapters have the story going in a way I wasn't thinking it was going to go at all, and I was pretty surprised.

Indeed. That twist was something I hadn't anticipated in the slightest. Wonder how (not if!) it will affect the rest of the series. Looking forward to read it when it comes out, at any rate!

Archived