Babylon's Ashes: The Expanse Book 6 (Spoilers)

Rhom

For those reading the 2 (actually 1.5) preview chapters on Amazon and who can't wait until tomorrow, there are a couple more chapters up on overdrive (click the "Read a Sample" button on the left below the image of the book cover).

Spoiler

Amazon has a Drummer chapter and half a Bobbie chapter.  Overdrive has both those full chapters, preceded by a creepy prologue (Cortazar), and chapters for Holden and Santiago Singh, an officer in the Laconia/Duarte navy, and Drummer again, though I think the last Drummer one may again be a just a part of the whole chapter.

Yep a 30 year gap.  Ava must be gone.  Interesting to hear Drummer as the head of the belter trade federation, succeeding multiple people that followed Michio Pa in that role, including Sanjrani who was supposed to have been imprisoned.

Seems weird to think of all these characters as being 60 years old or older now.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Huh?

Hide contents

A thirty-year timeskip? How are they going to handle that in the TV show?

Spoiler

Don't do a thirty year time skip, just like they immediately went into Caliban's War without showing the months in between, and cutting out the Roci taking on various menial jobs.

I think Dan and Ty might have screwed up with putting the gate so far away from the main population centers of the system. Travelling to the gate, and then out from destination gate to the new planets represent the longest part of a journey. The show could put the gate right smack in the middle of the Belt, instead, and thus allow for better travelling time.

Started reading Persepolis Rising just now; finished the prologue.

I'm glad I read the last two novellas, they give some perspective.

Spoiler

When was Drummer introduced in the books? I see hers is the first chapter.

Are we going to have a new spoiler thread?

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Hide contents

We usually do for The Expanse books.  I'm waiting on mine to arrive via snail mail and I'm still working my way through Oathbringer, so gonna be a bit before I can join in the discussion!

11 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

Drummer was a secondary character in both Nemesis Games and Babylon's Ashes in the books.  She was a belter who is Fred's second in command (or at least chief of security) on Tycho station, just as she is in the series.  She takes Tycho over for Fred when he is gone and after he passes in Babylon's ashes.  She just has had less focus on her in the books than in the TV series.  Possibly until now.

On 04/12/2017 at 6:44 PM, Werthead said:

Huh?

Hide contents

A thirty-year timeskip? How are they going to handle that in the TV show?

This is my reaction too. I'm not sure I'm really happy about it...

unless humans live a lot longer/age slower then I've just lost all my favourite characters from the series. In which case it feels like I've missed out. While I appreciate the book series not being beholden to TV adaptations (I mean it's unlikely sci-fi would ever get this far with the show) there's no way the show would survive this skip. It makes book 4 seem a relatively easy hurdle for TV. [/Supplier]

That said all may not be as it seems so I'm withholding too much judgement until I get further along. Maybe

timey wimey is at play given pocket universes and the general do all of the protomolecule

7 hours ago, red snow said:

This is my reaction too. I'm not sure I'm really happy about it...

Hide contents

unless humans live a lot longer/age slower then I've just lost all my favourite characters from the series. In which case it feels like I've missed out. While I appreciate the book series not being beholden to TV adaptations (I mean it's unlikely sci-fi would ever get this far with the show) there's no way the show would survive this skip. It makes book 4 seem a relatively easy hurdle for TV. [/Supplier]

That said all may not be as it seems so I'm withholding too much judgement until I get further along. Maybe

Hide contents

timey wimey is at play given pocket universes and the general do all of the protomolecule

I share your sentiments

Spoiler

I don't like this extended time jump. But the prologue does introduce the potential means by which humans can extend their lives. Only issue - the time jump has already happened (maybe that solution will also make them look younger :P)

31 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I share your sentiments

Hide contents

I don't like this extended time jump. But the prologue does introduce the potential means by which humans can extend their lives. Only issue - the time jump has already happened (maybe that solution will also make them look younger :P)

Chapter 3 sets my mind at rest a little bit at least.

It seems they are going the route of people simply live longer so folk characters that must be in their 60s are more like fit 50 year olds. Not too implausible. Still, I'm curious as to whether such a time jump can work in terms of the book not having to spend a lot of time plugging gaps.

Archived