HBO's Westworld V - These violent delights... [Spoilers]

.H.

Maybe it was being spooky. I wouldnt put it past Ford to  want to spook William a bit.

If the kid spoke in just the Hopkins voice it would look kinda silly.

Also, if he talked in that codified manner with just a kid's voice it would not be such a powerful and personal message to William. He would know whats up but it would carry less weight.

I expect Ford to have more presence like that but not in a double voice perhaps since it was already established to both William and the viewers like this.

4 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

This is probably a stupid question...but exactly why did so many hosts become murderous?  Is Dolores controlling them? Not all of them had achieved consciousness, but it looks like almost all of them have gone rogue.  

My theory is the ones who were most brutally treated had their consciousness raised before others who were just background scene-fillers. They might occasionally get shot, but not like some hosts who were constantly being violated, like Dolores. I'm also guessing that being shot by another host, like in the army-and-Indians scenes, or when the gunslinger rides into town, might be less traumatic. Is being shot by your fellow actor less painful then being shot by a guest, or is it all the same?

In addition, certain hosts were written to be violent, like the ghost-faced Indian tribe. And the train robbers and the gunslingers. Bad guys, created to be killed by valiant guests, over and over again. Perhaps the violent hosts made up most of the marauding horde?

There was perhaps a revealing comment in the two-weeks-later scenario, where someone suggests Ford changed the code to instruct hosts to treat guests like hosts. We the audience know that some hosts are developing consciousness - maybe Ford helped Dolores along by making that code change.

I was looking at some reviews of the premiere and someone noted that the maze imprinted on the underside of some hosts (all hosts, perhaps?) is different from the maze we saw at the end of the season. That maze led to what looks like a stick figure with it's arms outstretched. The maze revealed under the skull of the host they lobotomized has the stick figure with one arm pointing to it's head. The imprint seems to be an indicator of how 'woke' the host is. Remember, old William cut open the top of the head of a host to look at the maze last season. He was certain the maze was important.

And a thought about the other worlds. If they are on an island, maybe Pirate World?

On 4/23/2018 at 6:22 PM, Fall Bass said:

Maybe that's why the host bodies are all sitting in the sea. They all transferred their consciousnessness to new host bodies made at the base without the bombs, and then dumped their old bodies in the sea as a decoy. 

This theory is brought to you by someone noticing that Bernard in the "beach after" scene is wearing a different shirt than what he was wearing at the time of the massacre. 

I think that’s reading too much into a small detail. It’s probably just a mistake made by a low level PA who brought him the wrong shirt. A stepbrother and cousin of mine were Pas in their early 20s and they will tell you things like that happen all the time. I was listening to an interview with an actor a few weeks ago and he said it still makes him cringe when he watches a scene he was in. It’s the middle of the day from the view inside the house and when he walks out it’s pitch black. Just a bad splice. It happens a lot.

That aside, IDK why they were floating. But that’s the key to me. They’re floating. That means they can swim away. My best guess is they’re follow Maeve’s lead and killing themselves to get back into the lab to get the bombs out, rather than trying to transfer their consciousness.

Killing themselves to get in the lab won't work so well when the techs etc have all been told they are receiving defective hosts. And probably decommissioned after that.

Given the details in this show I'd be more inclined to think mistakes are deliberate until shown otherwise. But in the case of the shirt I'd think it was more a case of "Bernard changed his shirt" as opposed to any fundamental rereading of events. Much like Tessa Thompson changed out of her dress.

Wasn’t the way Maeve got into the lab by repeatedly killing herself and making sure she woke up when she was there? If so, I’m sure she didn’t keep that to herself. The main first step to escaping, for the hosts, is gaining access to the lab.

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Wasn’t the way Maeve got into the lab by repeatedly killing herself and making sure she woke up when she was there? If so, I’m sure she didn’t keep that to herself. The main first step to escaping, for the hosts, is gaining access to the lab.

Yeah but who will fix them after they are dead?  Maeve herself now has the skills, and Bernard does, but none of the other hosts would have the capability to run the technology, would they?

43 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Yeah but who will fix them after they are dead?  Maeve herself now has the skills, and Bernard does, but none of the other hosts would have the capability to run the technology, would they?

Maeve was able to increase her intelligence. All the hosts need is a tech who will alter them and then I’d assume they can Matrix themselves and download everything they need to build themselves. That’s the crux of the AI problem. Once machines can think for themselves and reproduce, game over for the human race.

Man creates society

Man creates God

Man becomes God

The Gods man creates destroys Man

4 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I think you misunderstand - the question was about the distorted voice young Robert had. That it was a message from older Robert is not in dispute, is it? Why was the voice so garbled. Do you think Ford just wanted to be spooky?

Robert's family robots were some of, if not the, oldest robots in the park from what I remember of last season. That combined with the scene last year with Robert doing minor maintenance on the boy Robert last season leads me to believe these older models require that upkeep. Real Robert being gone for a while and not being able to provide that minor upkeep may be the reason the boy Robert robot's voice is garbled. That and it being a nice creepy touch.

How fitting is Teddy Flood's name now? :) 

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think that’s reading too much into a small detail. It’s probably just a mistake made by a low level PA who brought him the wrong shirt. A stepbrother and cousin of mine were Pas in their early 20s and they will tell you things like that happen all the time. I was listening to an interview with an actor a few weeks ago and he said it still makes him cringe when he watches a scene he was in. It’s the middle of the day from the view inside the house and when he walks out it’s pitch black. Just a bad splice. It happens a lot.

That aside, IDK why they were floating. But that’s the key to me. They’re floating. That means they can swim away. My best guess is they’re follow Maeve’s lead and killing themselves to get back into the lab to get the bombs out, rather than trying to transfer their consciousness.

Tsk tsk tsk! You must notice things when you watch this show!!!!

There’s a two week gap between the host rampage and the rescue. Bernard, for some reason, has changed clothing. You will be able to tell the timelines apart by looking at his clothes!

Also...did anyone else think Teddy opened his eyes just when we looked at him underwater? It was very murky, maybe it was just a trick of the light?

And when that tech opens up the head of the host on the beach and they look at the final recording, his comment about Dolores conveys the total lack of understanding these people have about the hosts. He says something like, “Isn’t she the meet-and-greet girl?” I’ll watch it again and get the exact words.

Yes, the sweet meet-and-greet girl who has been repeatedly raped and murdered, and betrayed by the human she thought loved her more than anyone else. And who has been twice programmed to shoot her human masters in the head.

Made me think, what if there’s an uprising at Walmart.... :P 

But that's when no one knew the threat Maeve posed. And she reguired the techs to bring her body back. If a host were to kill themself now they'd be relying on techs retrieving them and fixing them in the lab. The lab currently looks wrecked with no techs present so a dead host has two problems - getting to the lab and someone fixing them. They'd be better finding the lab and walking there.

Also I wouldn't be so sure about Maeve sharing all her knowledge. She pretty much used to the two criminal characters at the end of the last season so they were forced to do what she wanted. I don't think she's so reckless as to give others equal/greater power. She's spent most of her existence powerless, I don't think she's willing to relinquish that. She can still help the other hosts but she doesn't need to make them super like herself in order to free them.

It seemed like she told Hector and Snake lady at the least.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Maeve was able to increase her intelligence. All the hosts need is a tech who will alter them and then I’d assume they can Matrix themselves and download everything they need to build themselves. That’s the crux of the AI problem. Once machines can think for themselves and reproduce, game over for the human race.

Man creates society

Man creates God

Man becomes God

The Gods man creates destroys Man

Woman inherits the earth.

11 minutes ago, red snow said:

Also I wouldn't be so sure about Maeve sharing all her knowledge. She pretty much used to the two criminal characters at the end of the last season so they were forced to do what she wanted. I don't think she's so reckless as to give others equal/greater power. She's spent most of her existence powerless, I don't think she's willing to relinquish that. She can still help the other hosts but she doesn't need to make them super like herself in order to free them.

We also don't know if Maeve has met up with Dolores' group. It's a big park and until they run into each other Maeve's knowledge is useless to Dolores, even if Maeve is inclined to share it with her.

That said, Dolores does have other sources of information. We don't know what she might know already know and she could potentially interrogate captured techs (or Bernard) for information.

So what humans know that Bernard is a robot? Is it just Felix? Delos absolutely doesn’t know, right? Did Charlotte make Bernard use the DNA reader just to make sure he is definitely a human also?

On the beach after he wakes up and Stubbs says something like, “you don’t want to shoot the boss, do you?”, the soldier then barks at him to keep walking like she doesn’t respect him. I could just be overthinking this though. 

2 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

So what humans know that Bernard is a robot? Is it just Felix? Delos absolutely doesn’t know, right? Did Charlotte make Bernard use the DNA reader just to make sure he is definitely a human also?

On the beach after he wakes up and Stubbs says something like, “you don’t want to shoot the boss, do you?”, the soldier then barks at him to keep walking like she doesn’t respect him. I could just be overthinking this though. 

I got the impression that the Delos Mercs don't respect anyone who isn't a robot killing meathead with a gun.

3 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Tsk tsk tsk! You must notice things when you watch this show!!!!

I said I needed to rewatch season one :commie:

Also, you missed Jace's Jurassic Park joke. One I set up for her cause I know how her mind works. I control it! 

2 hours ago, red snow said:

But that's when no one knew the threat Maeve posed. And she reguired the techs to bring her body back. If a host were to kill themself now they'd be relying on techs retrieving them and fixing them in the lab. The lab currently looks wrecked with no techs present so a dead host has two problems - getting to the lab and someone fixing them. They'd be better finding the lab and walking there.

Perhaps, it was just a thought. Anyways I'm not sure she has to share it. She can just do it herself. I thought she had some ability to control the other hosts. She could have them kill themselves then redo them without any techs.

Keep in mind, a lot of sentient robot gone bad stories only require one to "wake up" the rest. 

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, you missed Jace's Jurassic Park joke. One I set up for her cause I know how her mind works. I control it! 

Perhaps, it was just a thought. Anyways I'm not sure she has to share it. She can just do it herself. I thought she had some ability to control the other hosts. She could have them kill themselves then redo them without any techs.

Keep in mind, a lot of sentient robot gone bad stories only require one to "wake up" the rest. 

I was waiting for you. I had to find a way to respond to the bird without making her feel left out or heading off the comprehension of the joke itself.

I expect Dolores and Maeve could become interesting frenemies. Dolores is fucking crazy, but Maeve is still operating rationally.

FAKE news Twisted @Tywin et al. says he controls "my" MIND!

Very unfair, obstruction by Dems.

NO COLLUSION (EXCEPT BY "dEMS")

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yah, yah, dinosaurs. :P

Maeve does have the ability to control other robots, that came with her levels being jacked up. She stops the host about to kill Sizemore in his tracks.

Note - Dolores does not have this ability, does she?

PREDICTION TIME!  We see Maeve and Dolores meet and have a confrontation with each other! You heard it here first!

And I'm betting Maeve wins, but....will Maeve get out of the park? No, I bet they both end up staying put.

Archived