Hugo time! Your packet is available! 2018

Lily Valley

It's that time of year again!   NO!  NOT CHRISTMAS!!!!  The writers are putting up Hugo recs and highlighting what they've published this year!

Cat Rambo has officially encouraged authors to post the stuff they've published that is eligible, so if you're behind on reading, this is a great time to go check some stuff out!

George's post is here:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/509419.html

Go forth and suggest stuff!  This terrible year is almost done.  Take a minute to finish up your reading and spread your favorites around for the holidays.

There are some very good long and short form suggestions on George's blog. I could get behind a Black Mirror - San Junipero nomination, certainly. Will be eagerly awaiting the Sense8 episode this Christmas, which will also be eligible. It would be nice to see Orphan Black in there too, particularly since I think Season 4 was the strongest season so far, with episode 6 in particular being outstanding. Stranger Things should also not be forgotten as a contender here. Unfortunately I don't think Daredevils season 2, or Luke's Cage season 1, are really deserving of a nomination this year. There are a lot of other much stronger contenders. I suspect Rogue One will also be a big contender for long form, if it lives up to the hype. Westworld would be a worthy winner IMO. 

In terms of novels, I have been a bit lax in my reading of new releases. Of those I have read, I think I would certainly consider Kearney's The Wolf in the Attic and The Obelisk Gate (I don't know how likely a win two years running in). Should The Liberation continue at its high standard I think this would also make my list. 

As usual my short fiction is sorely lacking. So far I've only read Zen Cho's The Terracotta Bride, which I though was very good, but I really don't have any other work to hold it up against yet.

1 minute ago, HelenaExMachina said:

As usual my short fiction is sorely lacking. So far I've only read Zen Cho's The Terracotta Bride, which I though was very good, but I really don't have any other work to hold it up against yet.

I'm going to pull my shorts together over this week.  Locus's list has some good stuff and I plan to link it in the OP.  Any other blogs, rec lists etc would be great.

We're getting more Sense8 for Christmas????   WHEEE!  

I am going to nominate Luke Cage ep 5 for short form.  It was a work of art.  Stranger things for long form.  I haven't started Wesworld because I am saving it for Christmas.  I didn't like S3 of Orphan Black.  Waiting for S4 on Amazon.

I'm actually pretty thin on novels this year.  Help nerds!  Will recommend K. Eason's Enemy as a new voice.

1 hour ago, Lily Valley said:

Cat Rambo has officially encouraged authors to post the stuff they've published that is eligible, so if you're behind on reading, this is a great time to go check some stuff out!

Wise Phuul is eligible, of course, but I'm hesitant about posting anything on the grounds it would look like egomania, especially seeing as it's only been out a fortnight.

Just now, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

Wise Phuul is eligible, of course, but I'm hesitant about posting anything on the grounds it would look like egomania, especially seeing as it's only been out a fortnight.

The Head of SFWA says plug away, plug away!

http://linkis.com/www.kittywumpus.net/Pe6GD

Post a link!  We like to read!

35 minutes ago, Lily Valley said:

I'm going to pull my shorts together over this week.  Locus's list has some good stuff and I plan to link it in the OP.  Any other blogs, rec lists etc would be great.

We're getting more Sense8 for Christmas????   WHEEE!  

I am going to nominate Luke Cage ep 5 for short form.  It was a work of art.  Stranger things for long form.  I haven't started Wesworld because I am saving it for Christmas.  I didn't like S3 of Orphan Black.  Waiting for S4 on Amazon.

I'm actually pretty thin on novels this year.  Help nerds!  Will recommend K. Eason's Enemy as a new voice.

I'll look out for your lists, thank, and I will post any recs I have too.

Another episode of Sense8 23rd December, followed by another 10 episode season next May. So I believe only the one episode should be eligible?

I enjoyed Luke Cage but I'm just not sure it holds up to the other shows I've seen this year. But then I do think it's been a pretty great year TV wise. 

Penny Dreadful, "A Blade of Grass" really ought to be up for short form because it was a masterclass in, well, everything.

Season 4 was very different from Season 3, and a big improvement, I felt (even though I liked season 3).

As for novels, I too have fallen behind. Aside from my three recs, I believe the only "new" novel I read was a Gathering of Shadows, which was really bad so I don't recommend it. And The Race by Nina Allan. That one was okay but I didn't love it.  On my radar at the moment are The Winged Histories by Sofia Samatar, The Malice by Peter Newman (the preceding book was Newman's debut novel and very promising IMO) and The Gradual by Christopher Priest. And also Ninefox Gambit.

At this moment R. Scott Bakker and Sofia Samatar have a secure place in my novel nomination list. Two brilliant IMHO debuts by Ada Palmer and Yoon Ha Lee are close behind them, but I still have some interesting novels on by TBR list. In novella category, China Mieville and K. J. Parker should make it, the other places are still for grabs. I have some short stories listed but I hope I manage to read many more.

As for movies, Arrival semms a shoo-in. I will also nominate the whole seasonas of Westwrld and Expannse.

The Winged Histories was easily the best 2016 SFF novel I've read so far.

As for novellas, there were quite a few really good ones - A Taste of Honey by Kai Ashante Wilson, The Dream-Quest of Vellitt Boe of Kij Johnson, Runtime by S.V. Divya, The Liar by John Murphy, The Vanishing Kind by Lavie Tidhar.

The Stone War by Ted Kosmatka is my novelette suggestion.

11 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

On my radar at the moment are The Winged Histories by Sofia Samatar, The Malice by Peter Newman (the preceding book was Newman's debut novel and very promising IMO) and The Gradual by Christopher Priest. And also Ninefox Gambit.

I am SO bloody irritated about both The Winged Histories and The Malice. Neither one is available in audio. SOOOOOOOO annoying.

I've read very few new books this year -- will start catching up for Hugo season with the SFWA list: http://www.sfwa.org/forum/?app=readinglist&year=2016&category=novel&st=&q=&s=total_likes&so=desc

Like David Selig, The Winged Histories was one of my top reads this year.  Just a lovely, fantastic book.  Also adored The Wall of Storms, Children of Earth and Sky, The Wolf in the Attic, and of course Peadar's The Call

I also loved KJ Parker's serial, The Two of Swords, but it's been difficult to find out if the story is done.  Part 16 was supposed to come out in the spring, then it kept getting pushed back until like next summer.  And it's not clear if that's the last section or not. 

Should have some short stories listed by this weekend. 

At the moment I'd probably go for these:

Children of Earth and Sky by Guy Gavriel Kay

City of Blades by Robert Jackson Bennett

The Call by Peadar O'Guilin

A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers

The Spider's War by Daniel Abraham

There's often a bit of a delay before I get round to reading books, so I may have read a few more 2016 books before the nominations open, in which case The Spider's War is probably the most likely to drop off the list.

Although I've read quite a lot of short fiction this year very little of it was published in 2016, so the only things I'd have for novella at the moment would be:

Penric and the Shaman by Lois McMaster Bujold

Penric's Mission by Lois McMaster Bujold

For the long-form dramatic presentation, I'd agree with GRRM that Arrival seems the obvious choice. I liked Westworld a lot but might be more inclined to nominate an individual episode than the whole thing since I feel maybe the overall narrative got a bit carried away with its attempts to be clever at times.

Archived