Hugo time! Your packet is available! 2018

Lily Valley

2 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Oh it's going to fucking kill me that three of my favorites from 2017 are all up against each other: River of Teeth vs. The Black Tides of Heaven vs. The Red Thread of Fortune. 

My novella list is shockingly long this year.  I'm going to be agonizing over the slots in that category for days.  I really need more novelettes.

• 1 month later...

While clipping. have said they won't campaign this year like they did for Splendor & Misery last year, I'm going to go ahead and point out that "The Deep" is eligible for short form dramatic presentation this year (or, as they joked on Twitter a while back, short short form).

As a reminder, everyone has until the end of this week to submit their Hugo nomination forms. From the WorldCon website:

Nominations must be received by 11:59pm Pacific Daylight Time on Friday March 16, 2018 (6:59am UTC on Saturday, March 17, 2018)

Since it's nearly the deadline I've (provisionally) filled in the form. I struggled with the shorter categories since most of the short fiction I read was from previous years (a lot of it nominees for the 2017 Hugos)

Best Novel:

Raven Stratagem by Yoon Ha Lee

City of Miracles by Robert Jackson Bennett

The Bear and the Serpent by Adrian Tchaikovsky

Luna : Wolf Moon by Ian McDonald

La Belle Sauvage by Philip Pullman

Best Novella:

The Furthest Station by Ben Aaronovitch

Mira’s Last Dance, Penric's Fox and The Prisoner of Limnos by Lois McMaster Bujold

A Long Day in Lychford by Paul Cornell

Best Novelette:

Extracurricular Activities by Yoon Ha Lee

Dramatic Presentation (Long Form):

Blade Runner 2049

Logan

Stranger Things : Season 2

Legion : Season 1

The Shape of Water

Dramatic Presentation (Short Form):

Legion : Season 1 Chapter 1

Legion : Season 1 Chapter 7

The Commuter – Philip K. Dick’s Electric Dreams

A Prayer For Mad Sweeney – American Gods

The Mind Flayer – Stranger Things

Thanks for the reminder @X-Ray  Changing the title now.  I have two more novels I'd like to finish and almost nothing for short form.  Clipping has a new album out that is available....somewhere.  If I can find it I'll come back and link it.

Chuck Tingle's Complete Guide to the Void is eligible for related work.   I'm going to nominate it.  https://www.amazon.com/Chuck-Tingles-Complete-Guide-Void-ebook/dp/B06XBGFMR5

It was on Kindle Unlimited a while back.  It's illustrated and totally hilarious.

Wendy Pini's art collection is also eligible for related work.  

I'm nominating Wild Cards in Best Series.  Jemisin asked that the Broken Earth NOT be nominated in this category.  Shame since that's the only other series I have.  Leckie's series could be eligible with Provenance listed as the work published last year, but it's a stand alone in the same world.  YMMV on whether or not that qualifies.  

Will go update my ballot and come back with my lists thus far.

Read too little this year to be able to really remark on anything, but I've watched enough stuff to share my dramatic presentation noms. Highlighting my favorites:

Best Dramatic Presentation, Long

Logan

Coco

Blade Runner 2049

The Handmaid's Tale

Twin Peaks: The Return (marching to the beat of its own drummer, but Lynch manages some incredibly memorable moments and feats, and left viewers who stuck it out with a lot to think about after the finale)

Best Dramatic Presentation, Short

"USS Callister", Black Mirror

"Hang the DJ", Black Mirror

"Chapter Nine: The Gate", Stranger Things: Season 2

"Home", The Expanse

"The Book of Nora", The Leftovers (a monumental end to a rich, beguiling series.)

Don't have 5 just yet, but for Best Series and Best Related, figured I'd share the following:

Realm of the Elderlings, Robin Hobb, Assassin's Fate (could well be the last RotE story, which has covered something like 16 novels -- three Fitz trilogies, Liveship trilogy, the four Rain Wild novel)

Vlad Taltos, Steven K.Z. Brust, Vallista 

Wild Cards, George R.R. Martin, Mississippi Roll

Best Related Work

A Lit Fuse: The Provocative Life of Harlan Ellison, Nat Segaloff

No Time to Spare: Thinking About What Matters, Ursula K. Le Guin

Norse Mythology, Neil Gaiman

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Nominated him for his Wild Cards cover, which is eligible -- isn't Shroud of Eternity a 2018 book, or did it come out earlier in the UK?

Good point.

• 2 weeks later...

From my understanding, the changes made to protect the Hugos from slates lead to the Sad and Rabid Puppies alike no longer organizing. A group calling themselves the Happy Frogs posted a slate, the choices of which suggest they were deliberately carrying on where the Puppies left off, but so far as I can see not a single item from their list made it.Can't speak to the literary stuff this year, having read so little, but quite surprised The Handmaid's Tale didn't get into either dramatic presentation category, and that The Expanse also failed to get a nod.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

From my understanding, the changes made to protect the Hugos from slates lead to the Sad and Rabid Puppies alike no longer organizing. A group calling themselves the Happy Frogs posted a slate, the choices of which suggest they were deliberately carrying on where the Puppies left off, but so far as I can see not a single item from their list made it.Can't speak to the literary stuff this year, having read so little, but quite surprised The Handmaid's Tale didn't get into either dramatic presentation category, and that The Expanse also failed to get a nod.

I remember a lot of scepticism about whether the anti-Puppy measures would actually stop them, since they'd be more likely to reduce their impact rather than stopping it completely, but maybe it's discouraged them from even trying.

From what I've read/watched the ballot seems reasonable. I think maybe Provenance in Best Novel and the Doctor Who episode in short form aren't strong enough to be nominees, but neither were bad.

Out of the novels, I hadn't really head of Mur Laffery's Six Wakes before, anyone read it?

1 hour ago, Ran said:

From my understanding, the changes made to protect the Hugos from slates lead to the Sad and Rabid Puppies alike no longer organizing. A group calling themselves the Happy Frogs posted a slate, the choices of which suggest they were deliberately carrying on where the Puppies left off, but so far as I can see not a single item from their list made it.

Any idea which rule change was effective to accomplish that, if any?  Is EPH or EPH+ going into effect on a permanent basis?

Archived