Lily Valley

Hugo time! Your packet is available! 2018

I like McGuire fine, but this series is pure fluff. And it's not particularly my kind of fluff.   I liked History of Dragons fine, but it was more fluff.  I will at least start the Sanderson, but I'm kinda with you on the series category this year. 

Why no Wild Cards Nomination?  :shakes fist at sky:

I don't seem to be able to log in to my ballot form at the moment...

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, felice said:

I don't seem to be able to log in to my ballot form at the moment...

No comment from New Orleans, which lost by 81 votes, btw and isn't ever snotty in their public responses and  had an excellent IT / PR team.  Also, we had more rooms at 130 / night.  Not just 3 small areas at one hotel that were sold out in 15 minutes.  

Oh right, I'm not bellyaching.  They rolled out the retrohugo ballot today.  I didn't get an email, found out on file770.  Probably messed up their magic system.

Edited by Lily Valley

Are there any good summaries of Bitch Planet vol 1 and Paper Girls vol 2 online?

I would be interested in those as well. 

Finished some of each of the nominated series except for Sanderson.  I'm going to give it a shot if I can get through the rest of the Campbell materials.  Packet is moving along!

On 7/25/2018 at 12:48 AM, Lily Valley said:

I would be interested in those as well.

In case it's still relevant, Paper Girls Vol 2:

Spoiler

KJ is missing. Erin hangs out with her 2016 self, who doesn't remember what happened in 1988, but does have the bullet scar. Another version of 88!Erin also shows up, but turns out to be a clone from the future teenagers' era. Mac finds out she's going to die from leukemia. Erin gets a message apparently from KJ via a small portal warning her not to trust the other Erin. Clone!Erin rescues Mac and Tiffany and takes them to the other two Erins, and tries to force the girls through a portal to her time. They push her in instead and go through a different portal to an unknown time, where they find KJ.

The Art of Starving is tricky to rank. It's certainly a good book, but while the supernatural elements work as metaphor, I don't think they work very well as SF, and I feel a bit uncomfortable about the message it's sending. I think it would have been better if the powers had been entirely delusional. And if the SF element is a problem with the book, should it be eligible for an SF award?

On 7/21/2018 at 3:21 PM, felice said:

Are there any good summaries of Bitch Planet vol 1 and Paper Girls vol 2 online?

It's not exactly a standard summary, but I found this take on Bitch Planet v. 1 to be the best thing I've read about it:

http://whitelippedviper.tumblr.com/post/132545988392/bitch-planet-more-ras-kass-than-chuck-d