Hugo time! Your packet is available! 2018

Lily Valley

17 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Eh, is City of Blades eligible? I could have sworn it was on the long list for last year.

It doesn't seem to be on the 2016 longlist. I think it just gets in by a week for the 2017 awards, the publication date is 7th January 2016.

On 12/7/2016 at 2:42 AM, Darth Richard II said:

This has, for me anyway, been a stupid good year for books(which is why the absolute SHIT that got nominated/won in the Goodreads awards baffles me). I'll have to go back and look at my goodreads.

Why, goodreads awards have always been awful, its always been a popularity contest for teenage girls.

Here are some of my favorite short stories this year;

Novella

“Penric and the Shaman”, Lois McMaster Bujold

“Penric’s Mission”, Lois McMaster Bujold

“The Dream-Quest of Vellitt Boe, Kij Johnson

“The Ballad of Black Tom”, Victor LaValle

“The Devil You Know”, K.J. Parker

Novelette

Checkerboard Planet”, Eleanor Arnason

Judgment of Gods and Monsters”, Kameron Hurley

Discards”, David D. Levine

The Maiden Thief”, Melissa Marr

Short Story

The Story of Kao Yu”, Peter S. Beagle

The Robot’s Guide to Online Dating”, Aiden Doyle

Big Thrull and the Askin’ Man”, Max Gladstone

Natural Skin”, Alyssa Wong (Lightspeed)

• 1 month later...

2017 Hugo Awards Nomination Period Open

Nominations are now open for the Hugo Awards and the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer, to be presented at Worldcon 75, August 9-13, 2017 in Helsinki, Finland. You are eligible to nominate if you have an attending or supporting membership for Worldcon 75, MidAmeriCon II (the 2016 Worldcon), or Worldcon 76 (the 2018 Worldcon) by January 31, 2015. The nomination period closes March 17, 2017 at at 11:59 p.m., Pacific Daylight Time.

More information on the Hugo Awards can be found at the Worldcon 75 site.

For Dramatic Performance, I highly recommend Cleverman.

It's an Australian tv show that came out in 2016. It's on Netflix, so no excuses, go watch it!

It's a dystopia that tackles the fraught history between Aborigines and white Australians (think District 9), and it turns Aborigine Dreamtime stories into a kind of superhero story.

It's got great character development and focus on family interactions, creepy monsters, a very authentic-seeming grounding in social-history.

WETA was involved, Sundance TV, and Ser Jorah Mormont is in it! 

It was fricking awesome. Here's the trailer.

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Bastard of Godsgrace said:

I also voted for Bakker and Ada Palmer. Also for Sofia Samatar and Yoon Ha Lee. Emmi Itaranta? Lavie Tidhar? Probably one of those two. Still haven't chosen fifth novel. I have longlists for short fiction categories, but I still didn't make final decisions.

I'm planning to put Ninefox Gambit on my list as well. I haven't read the Samatar yet, but I loved Stranger in Olondria.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Lord of Rhinos said:

Those BSFA artwork nominations are terrible.  Who the heck are voting for those?

I've heard in the past that there was a rule that short story nominations for the BSFA awards needed a minimum of three nominees and without that rule there would have been nominees with just two votes. I'd imagine the artwork could have a similar issue where there's a relatively small number of people nominating but a huge range of artwork that could be nominated so a small number of people could influence it.

Archived