Hugo time! Your packet is available! 2018

Lily Valley

1 minute ago, Contrarius+ said:

Read Too Like the Lightning! I'm campaigning hard for that one. B)

It sounds like the follow-up novel is also very good. I'm wondering how many novels Ada Palmer plans in this series? I now usually wait until series are finished before starting them, but may just dive in with this one.

18 minutes ago, Astromech said:

It sounds like the follow-up novel is also very good. I'm wondering how many novels Ada Palmer plans in this series? I now usually wait until series are finished before starting them, but may just dive in with this one.

I keep getting mixed signals on if it's supposed to be 3 or 4 books, but book 3 is in final editing and due out in December. Also read them they rock your socks.

3 hours ago, Astromech said:

That moment you realize you haven't read any of those finalist works :(

Hopefully that just means we have lots of good stories out there we haven't read.

Out of the novels I've only read A Closed And Common Orbit which came very close to being on my ballot but just missed out. I've read Penric and the Shaman, You'll Surely Drown Here and Touring With The Alien out of the shorter fiction, all of which I think would be reasonable winners.

Out of the best series I hadn't thought the Vorkosigan Saga would qualify, but it is one of my favourite series so I'll probably vote for that, even if it does feel a bit redundant given that it's probably won half a dozen Hugos already in other categories.

I think Arrival should and probably will dominate the Dramatic Long Form category. I'd probably go for Leviathan Wakes out of the three short form nominees I've seen.

I actually enjoyed Ghostbusters. >.>

Definitely not award worthy though.

I saw it a few days ago and thought it was reasonably entertaining, but I agree it seems a long way from being an award winner.

I'm perhaps a little disappointed that The Dagger and The Coin didn't make the shortlist for Best Series.  That seemed to me to be the ideal sort of thing to win that category (that is, a completed series, none of whose individual entries was shortlisted for a Hugo on release). .If I understand the rules properly, this was the only year it will be eligible, too.  As it is, I'd guess that either The Expanse or The Vorkosigan Saga are the most likely winners in that category, and in the latter case especially I don't really see the point.

But the nominations (finalists?) for Best Novel are pretty good, yeah.  I've not read Death's End yet (waiting for the paperback), but I was very impressed by The Dark Forest so I'm expecting to like that, and while I didn't think The Obelisk Gate was quite as good as The Fifth Season it was still very good.   And I really liked Too Like The Lightning a lot.  

I didn't care for All The Birds In The Sky myself but I'm not particularly surprised it made the shortlist.  And at least it means there's one book on the shortlist that isn't part of a longer series?

6 hours ago, mormont said:

Just enough Puppies to remind us that they haven't gone away, but not so many as to spoil the entire ballot, it looks like. Ritual humiliation for John C. Wright to follow.

I like this idea. Maybe we could have a Best John C Wright category and give it no award every year?

58 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I like this idea. Maybe we could have a Best John C Wright category and give it no award every year?

Not as entertaining as watching him lose handily to five women, three of whom are PoC. Beale himself is in a similar boat, IIRC - up against five women, at least one of whom is a PoC.

From what I can see it looks a decent ballot, but I'm in the unusual position of not having read a single one of the novel nominees. Look forward to changing that!

4 hours ago, Astromech said:

From what I hear, as Darth said, the series will go on beyond the next book. But supposedly the initial story arc with our current MC is closed out with Seven Surrenders, and the third book will start a new story arc. I haven't finished Seven Surrenders yet (I couldn't stand the new narrator in the audio version, and I haven't had time for eyes-on-the-page reading yet), so I can't tell you that from personal experience.

8 minutes ago, Contrarius+ said:

From what I hear, as Darth said, the series will go on beyond the next book. But supposedly the initial story arc with our current MC is closed out with Seven Surrenders, and the third book will start a new story arc. I haven't finished Seven Surrenders yet (I couldn't stand the new narrator in the audio version, and I haven't had time for eyes-on-the-page reading yet), so I can't tell you that from personal experience.

It's really really hard to say without massive spoilers, but the events the MC are recoutning are recounted in full. He finishes his story I guess you could say. (I actually know very little of how the third book will be presented, I just want it now, omg)

Archived