Nominations and Ranking Thread 2016 (with results)

sweetsunray

10 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

No T-shirts?   Oh come on, I know you and @Seams and @LmL have to have T-shirts for your fans!   I wonder what people at work would say if I showed up with an I love @The Fattest Leech shirt?   Ok, enough teasing and fun for the night.   I've got work to do on a new topic that I hope to have out before summer.   

They would smile, rip open their button-ups, and proudly flash their own 'I :wub: LEECH' T-shirt... and then you guys would all share a round of stout and cheesecake to celebrate!

By the way, I had a special Blodoraven fan t-shirt made up for Balticon last year, and George told me I was a weirdo!!!!! I was in heaven.

9 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

They would smile, rip open their button-ups, and proudly flash their own 'I :wub: LEECH' T-shirt... and then you guys would all share a round of stout and cheesecake to celebrate!

By the way, I had a special Blodoraven fan t-shirt made up for Balticon last year, and George told me I was a weirdo!!!!! I was in heaven.

George RR Martin said your shirt was weird???  How utterly precious!  Any chance you can post a pic so we can all see this masterpiece?  

Stout and cheesecake?  You are 1 in a million billion, Leech.   I would wear my Dammit Leech shirt proudly.   With Armani!  

11 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

No T-shirts?   Oh come on, I know you and @Seams and @LmL have to have T-shirts for your fans!   I wonder what people at work would say if I showed up with an I love @The Fattest Leech shirt?   Ok, enough teasing and fun for the night.   I've got work to do on a new topic that I hope to have out before summer.   

Sorry, no physical prizes... but you're of course free to make and wear a T-shirt :)

22 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

What a treat and compliment to have these humble discussions with so many creative and imaginative minds.  Thanks so much to you @sweetsunray for putting the entire thing together.  Not so much in contest as for the joy of discovering topics unread and rereading some wonderful conversations.  And another thanks to everyone else who was brave enough to nominate.  I hope everyone had an opportunity to read all of these wonderful threads.  I get a kick out of being a fan boy and felt like I personally won something seeing Euron the Abomination take a prize here.  They were really great topics.  When do I get my @wizzthesmith fanboy TShirt?

Haha, thank you kindly @Curled Finger, although I'm not sure they're in print.  :lol:  Anyway, as Sweetsunray has mentioned, you won two categories this year, very impressive.  Perhaps we are in need of some 'Curled Finger' fan T-shirts as well.  ;)  

19 hours ago, ravenous reader said:

I think he's still weaving them in his workshop in the hollow hills...What slogan would you like on the shirt; maybe I could get a message to him next time I fly in there with my dark wings, dark words..?

I second that -- Congratulations @Wizz-The-Smith  on a classic and elegantly written topic!  (Wizzy -- having lost you to the rabbit-hole for a while there, I now forgive you for your down-delvings; it was eminently worth it) :cheers:

Ha, I am adding the 'Curled Finger' T-shirts to the list right now, and a @ravenous reader line is sure to sell out.  ;) 

Thank you rr, and for forgiving my down-delving's  :P  And for the support throughout my research.  Thanks must also go to @Seams and her 'Seams and Portals' thread for the inspiration.

Finally, well done to all the winners and to everyone who got nominated, this has been great fun and a really good way to round off the year.  Special thanks to those who helped set up and run the survey, it has served as so much more than just 'vote out'.  A gathering of all the threads, posters and ideas has been a great success.  :cheers:     

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 7:44 PM, sweetsunray said:

GREENSEERS

Scores per ranking 1-2 points, 4 points for 1st ranking.

We have two victorious threads here, required to share 1st rank with each other. This may have been the toughest category to rank as the total scores will show. It was like watching a war of the titans.

1. Euron the Abomination, OP Darksister1001, March 8 2016, Euron as greenseer, total score 65, Congratulations Darksister on your insights on Euron that were confirmed by George's reading of his tWoW Aeron chapter.

AND

Mythical Astronomy of Ice and Fire: The Grey King and the Sea Dragon, OP LmL, August 29 2016, the combination of fire, water and weirwood - an Ironborn greenseer, the Grey King, total score 65, Congratulations LmL on your complimentary insights on the Ironborn and Grey King

Holy crap!  Thank you all so much for the consideration and the love.  @LmL - Just to be in the same category is rad.  Thanks @slywren for the inspiration and conversations.  @sweetsunray et al, thanks for everyone's hard work on this thread.  I look forward to many more insightful and fun conversation with y'all. 

6 hours ago, Wizz-The-Smith said:

Haha, thank you kindly @Curled Finger, although I'm not sure they're in print.  :lol:  Anyway, as Sweetsunray has mentioned, you won two categories this year, very impressive.  Perhaps we are in need of some 'Curled Finger' fan T-shirts as well.  ;)  

Ha, I am adding the 'Curled Finger' T-shirts to the list right now, and a @ravenous reader line is sure to sell out.  ;) 

Thank you rr, and for forgiving my down-delving's  :P  And for the support throughout my research.  Thanks must also go to @Seams and her 'Seams and Portals' thread for the inspiration.

Finally, well done to all the winners and to everyone who got nominated, this has been great fun and a really good way to round off the year.  Special thanks to those who helped set up and run the survey, it has served as so much more than just 'vote out'.  A gathering of all the threads, posters and ideas has been a great success.  :cheers:     

Wizz, I just wanted to let you know I thought you did a phenomenal job.   I didn't post, but read every night.   You probably don't remember, but you were one of the very 1st people who took time to talk to me when I joined this forum.   I was grateful then and I'm proud now to be able to rib you and enjoy your work and join you in conversations.   I won't ever be too cool to be a fan of the story GRRM has given us or the talented people who enjoy it with me.   

4 hours ago, DarkSister1001 said:

Holy crap!  Thank you all so much for the consideration and the love.  @LmL - Just to be in the same category is rad.  Thanks @slywren for the inspiration and conversations.  @sweetsunray et al, thanks for everyone's hard work on this thread.  I look forward to many more insightful and fun conversation with y'all. 

This will make you laugh.   When @LmL first announced his podcast I was so excited I could actually just say something to him because I was, like everyone else, in awe of his work and the world behind the world he weaves for us.  I felt like I got a signed baseball or a famous star's autograph when you popped in to acknowledge your nomination.   Ah geez I'm gushing fan boy all over the place--I gotta go find a zombie or sword to talk about to pull myself together.   Congratulations, Dark Sister.  

On 1/23/2017 at 2:51 PM, LmL said:

I'd also like to thank and shout out @Pain killer Jane 

No thanks necessary. I am always happy to help. 

Your work was the light in the darkness and I am always glad to add fuel to the fire. 

On 1/23/2017 at 2:51 PM, LmL said:

pirate-Odin on bad acid

:lmao:I recently thought he was Captain Hook. 

On 1/23/2017 at 11:44 AM, sweetsunray said:

Ser Shadrich, his allies and adversaries (Morgarth, Byron, Creighton, Illifer), OP Bemused, August 16 2016, possible identities and motives of several characters appearing in Brienne's quest-tour and the men that appear at the Gates of the Moon, total score 112, congratulations Bemused and imvpo Blue-Eyed-Wolf for making us revisit Brienne's arc and pay attention to the various colorful side-characters

Wow!  Major kudos to @bemused for making such a damn great OP that sparked so many great ideas that didn't sound so crackpot after a while.  That was such an amazing and fun discussion and a tribute to collaborative effort.  What an awesome community we have here that challenges and supports each other to do the best analysis we can.  @sweetsunray thank you for the mention and the constant encouragement. :D       

8 hours ago, DarkSister1001 said:

Hey, you did a great job, and I look forward to chatting with you about Euron once we get the next book!  I actually will be doing a more Euron centric episode coming up here pretty soon, will be a part of my Weirwood Compendium series on greenseers. 

3 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

This will make you laugh.   When @LmL first announced his podcast I was so excited I could actually just say something to him because I was, like everyone else, in awe of his work and the world behind the world he weaves for us.  I felt like I got a signed baseball or a famous star's autograph when you popped in to acknowledge your nomination.   Ah geez I'm gushing fan boy all over the place--I gotta go find a zombie or sword to talk about to pull myself together.   Congratulations, Dark Sister.  

I felt the same way the first time I talked to History of Westeros and Radio Westeros directly...  it's all about enthusiasm, you know? That's why we're all here. I am very excited to be a part of fostering that enthusiasm, lord knows I have plenty to spare. I think we all just find so much to talk about with this series, because it touches on so many themes and ideas and archetypes... it's amazing how many different lines of analysis have born fruit. I have learned just a ton of things about literature and history and mythology and the writing process in general... I can only say the last 2 years have enriched my life substantially. 

13 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

:D LOL!  Thanks!

9 hours ago, LmL said:

Hey, you did a great job, and I look forward to chatting with you about Euron once we get the next book!  I actually will be doing a more Euron centric episode coming up here pretty soon, will be a part of my Weirwood Compendium series on greenseers. 

Absolutely!  Really looking forward to it.  Cheers!

On 1/23/2017 at 5:51 PM, LmL said:

@sweetsunray@sweetsunray:)@ravenous readerthe Nennymoan thread in particular tips its cap to our beloved Reader, as I am sure @hiemal would agree. So, a well-deserved honorable mention :cheers:  I'd also like to thank and shout out @Pain killer Jane and @Blue Tiger for all their contributions on my thread, as well as @sweetsunray of course. 

Above all I just want to say that I love our real-time literary analysis community that we have formed here, I even appreciate the people I disagree with or who disagree with me. I couldn't imagine a better, more vibrant fan community. 

Without a doubt! My spitball-esque style of threading is only as good as the people who respond and the dialogue they bring. I'm honestly floored to be considered in such meticulous and insightful company.

9 hours ago, hiemal said:

Without a doubt! My spitball-esque style of threading is only as good as the people who respond and the dialogue they bring. I'm honestly floored to be considered in such meticulous and insightful company.

You are too modest.  Your poetic intuition and finely-tuned ear opened the door -- and, at your invitation, we followed the music and prised the sense from the nonsense of Patchface's verse (and of course my eyes were opened even further by 'Love's Secret Domain' which you sent me in return ;))

2 hours ago, ravenous reader said:

You are too modest.  Your poetic intuition and finely-tuned ear opened the door -- and, at your invitation, we followed the music and prized the sense from the nonsense of Patchface's verse (and of course my eyes were opened even further by 'Love's Secret Domain' which you sent me in return ;))

@hiemal was around back when I put out my first essays early in 2015, and he has always been a great commentor who has added a lot to the convo, so yeah, modest though @hiemal may be, we are talking about a true heavyweight of the forums here. 

21 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

Wizz, I just wanted to let you know I thought you did a phenomenal job.   I didn't post, but read every night.   You probably don't remember, but you were one of the very 1st people who took time to talk to me when I joined this forum.   I was grateful then and I'm proud now to be able to rib you and enjoy your work and join you in conversations.   I won't ever be too cool to be a fan of the story GRRM has given us or the talented people who enjoy it with me.   

Thank you, very much appreciated, I'm glad you enjoyed it.  :cheers:

I am currently enjoying a more detailed reading of your 'Swords' thread, great work there, a thoroughly enjoyable read.  :) 

I don't remember the conversation per se, but I do remember posting with you a while back, the Riverland's Web if I'm not mistaken?  A good place to start posting, the Web was so friendly, great atmosphere. [More to come, the Web has legs. Prologue predictions for a start. ;)]  

I look forward to many more conversations with you.  And I agree it's a pleasure to post with so many talented contributors. [He says to the winner of two sections 2016. ;)]  

1 hour ago, Wizz-The-Smith said:

Thank you, very much appreciated, I'm glad you enjoyed it.  :cheers:

I am currently enjoying a more detailed reading of your 'Swords' thread, great work there, a thoroughly enjoyable read.  :) 

I don't remember the conversation per se, but I do remember posting with you a while back, the Riverland's Web if I'm not mistaken?  A good place to start posting, the Web was so friendly, great atmosphere. [More to come, the Web has legs. Prologue predictions for a start. ;)]  

I look forward to many more conversations with you.  And I agree it's a pleasure to post with so many talented contributors. [He says to the winner of two sections 2016. ;)]  

I hope I've been as kind and welcoming to new forum members as you and your excellent Riverlands Web posse were to me and many others I've seen over the years.   It's a great place to start posting.   Looking forward to more RW topics and conversations.   

8 minutes ago, Daendrew said:

@sweetsunray for some reason it's not letting me message you saying you are not allowed messages. Maybe your inbox is full?

You are getting some love on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/5qpj49/spoilers_extended_what_are_the_best_asoiaf/ 

Yep, I just added a link to her blog there :)

8 minutes ago, Daendrew said:

@sweetsunray for some reason it's not letting me message you saying you are not allowed messages. Maybe your inbox is full?

You are getting some love on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/5qpj49/spoilers_extended_what_are_the_best_asoiaf/ 

Thanks Daendrew and @LmL for the love :) Yes, my inbox was full.

On ‎26‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 2:03 AM, Curled Finger said:

I hope I've been as kind and welcoming to new forum members as you and your excellent Riverlands Web posse were to me and many others I've seen over the years.   It's a great place to start posting.   Looking forward to more RW topics and conversations.   

You're always very welcoming, the Web was richer for your presence.  Get involved if you want, Bookie did so much over there I know she appreciates the help, I'm thinking on a couple of ideas, if you have any give me a shout.  As I say, Prologue predictions are a must, but that's a way off yet.  Whatever the case may be, see you in the Web [if not before tbh]  :P 

Archived