Rothfuss XII: The Doors of Twitch

scortius the charioteer

11 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Clearing quote

17 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

The Worldbuilders fundraiser passed the $2M goal so Pat will be doing a Q&A on book 3. I can't wait to see how little information he can manage to spread across his answers :P

Q: Would it be fair to say we learn that Denna's patron is one of the Chandrian in book 3?  

PR: Come on you know I can't answer that.

Q: is it difficult to switch between Kvothe's autobiographical sections and the present with Bast and Chronicler at the inn?

PR: if you really want to know, give me three days and write down exactly what I say.

Q: can you give us a general update on the progress of book 3?

PR: want to watch me play Mortal Kombat instead?

Q: actually, I'd--

PR: FATALITY!  NEXT QUESTION!!!

4 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

Summary of the last eleven threads:

Wow, what a great time we all had reading this series so far! Lots of awesome unresolved things happened for two books! Holy shit, these books have so much going on, and are fantastic page-turners. Let's endlessly speculate on all these wonderful hints and foreshadowing, and discuss this unreliable narrator, and generally have a great time. Wait, what? He said it was done? Just kidding. He might have been lying. We can't be sure. His blogs are fun, but he seems to have lost any interest in the finale of this trilogy. Wait, is this very gifted author perhaps a total  fucking dicknose? Wow, what a disappointment. Screw it, we'll read other authors who aren't assholes.  In the meantime, let's all collectively bitch about him until 2019 or whenever the fuck he finally releases Doors of Stone, at which time we will all most likely eat it up and love him again. All hail Pat and his sweet beard.

You forgot "I don't think bitching about Rothfuss will achieve anything" or "Patrick Rothfuss is not your bitch." But otherwise, accurate :P 

5 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

Summary of the last eleven threads:

Wow, what a great time we all had reading this series so far! Lots of awesome unresolved things happened for two books! Holy shit, these books have so much going on, and are fantastic page-turners. Let's endlessly speculate on all these wonderful hints and foreshadowing, and discuss this unreliable narrator, and generally have a great time. Wait, what? He said it was done? Just kidding. He might have been lying. We can't be sure. His blogs are fun, but he seems to have lost any interest in the finale of this trilogy. Wait, is this very gifted author perhaps a total  fucking dicknose? Wow, what a disappointment. Screw it, we'll read other authors who aren't assholes.  In the meantime, let's all collectively bitch about him until 2019 or whenever the fuck he finally releases Doors of Stone, at which time we will all most likely eat it up and love him again. All hail Pat and his sweet beard.

Incorrect, as some of us have posted how terrible book 2 is, at length.

32 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

With the exception of the Felurian portions (and that exempting the Ctheah) I quite enjoyed The Wise Man's Fear.

I really enjoyed the book as well, but the Felurian part and the on the road finding bandits part could've used some editing for sure.  Although Rothfuss does give you an idea of just how potentially boring and miserable a job like that would be, it's not necessarily all that interesting to read about.  The one thing that keeps me going consistently throughout is his prose is just so readable.  

Another complaint I hear a lot is the constant harping on his poverty.  I occasionally find it tiresome, but having been there much of my life, I can tell you it is accurately all consuming.  The constant planning and wondering and scheming and the chances you take just to get through daily life are mentally and physically exhausting.  The only thing that would take me out of thinking about money was just being with people more.

11 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Thanks for the grimsplanation, pal.

Truth shines.

Anytime.  I was also remiss in not listing the myriad ways in which pendulous phalluses and black seed has been referenced throughout the Bakker threads.  Also I'm a huge fan of those books, I think there's never been anything this ambitious in the genre.  But after all these years i'm just tired of reading the constant retreading of the same argument that's been going on probably since the initial thread, and would rather discuss all of our crazy theories and stuff I missed the first 4 times I read the series because it's so freaking dense.

1 hour ago, scortius the charioteer said:

Shut your hole SJW, you're a misogynist.  No YOU'RE a misogynist.  You're a rape apologist.  no YOU'RE a rape apologist.  Mansplain grimdark mansplain grimdark.

There that's over.

I've had the Darkness That Comes Before sitting in my Audible library for years now and keep meaning to start it. I am now scared :P 

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

With the exception of the Felurian portions (and that exempting the Ctheah) I quite enjoyed The Wise Man's Fear.

:agree:

3 hours ago, scortius the charioteer said:

Another complaint I hear a lot is the constant harping on his poverty.  I occasionally find it tiresome, but having been there much of my life, I can tell you it is accurately all consuming.  The constant planning and wondering and scheming and the chances you take just to get through daily life are mentally and physically exhausting.  The only thing that would take me out of thinking about money was just being with people more.

The thing I found a bit disconcerting about Kvothe's frequent poverty is that several times he did manage to acquire a reasonable amount of money but he then always seemed to contrive a way of losing it again and ending up back in poverty. Sometimes this happened for good reasons, but at times he seemed a bit too blasé about spending it given how much effort it had taken him to get it (I'll admit I can't really remember the details now, but I remember thinking that at the time).

2 hours ago, williamjm said:

The thing I found a bit disconcerting about Kvothe's frequent poverty is that several times he did manage to acquire a reasonable amount of money but he then always seemed to contrive a way of losing it again and ending up back in poverty. Sometimes this happened for good reasons, but at times he seemed a bit too blasé about spending it given how much effort it had taken him to get it (I'll admit I can't really remember the details now, but I remember thinking that at the time.)

this was actually one of the things about him I could relate to, especially thinking back to being closer to his age.

Archived