Rothfuss XII: The Doors of Twitch

scortius the charioteer

On 1/30/2017 at 7:59 AM, mgambino said:

Forget Winds of Winter, my money is on getting the final book of ASOIAF before Doors of Stone... and I'm not joking.

That's the bet for sure.  With Martin's announcement that he was dramatically cutting down appearances until WoW is done, I'm inclined to believe he can see the light at the end of the tunnel on that one.  Rothfuss isn't doing anything, and may not doing anything ever with the payday that's coming his way.

It would be nice if GRRM could turn the last book around in a couple of years. I mean... I gather he's always had a fair idea of the destination, it was just the journey to get there, that veered along the way. So maybe it will all come together towards the end.

On 1/29/2017 at 7:21 PM, KiDisaster said:

I really, really loved Slow Regard. 

Somebody get his pants down, see if he's circumcised.  

On 1/30/2017 at 4:59 AM, mgambino said:

Forget Winds of Winter, my money is on getting the final book of ASOIAF before Doors of Stone... and I'm not joking.

12 minutes ago, sperry said:

That's the bet for sure.  With Martin's announcement that he was dramatically cutting down appearances until WoW is done, I'm inclined to believe he can see the light at the end of the tunnel on that one.  Rothfuss isn't doing anything, and may not doing anything ever with the payday that's coming his way.

I completely get the lack of faith in Rothfuss.  I just think a comparable lack of faith in GRRM is in order.  I hope you guys are right and I'm wrong.  

Rothfuss would have to be actually working on the book for me to have ANY faith. Or even confirm that's hes working on it. Instead of, you know, touting that he ISN'T. It might take GRRM 20 years to finish winds but if Rothfuss never writes book 3 than forever is longer than not forever. Wow did that make any sense? I need sleep. :P

I can easily understand why people don't like it, and if it had been any longer than it was I think it would have started to outstay its welcome, but for me it just worked. Auri is awesome. Her face and hands and feet are very clean :P 

Also, sometimes you read a story at the perfect time and that was the case for me. There's some elements to it that weirdly correlated to some personal things I was dealing with last week, and it was a very comforting read during a very stressful time. 

14 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Rothfuss would have to be actually working on the book for me to have ANY faith. Or even confirm that's hes working on it. Instead of, you know, touting that he ISN'T. It might take GRRM 20 years to finish winds but if Rothfuss never writes book 3 than forever is longer than not forever. Wow did that make any sense? I need sleep. :P

I agree with this. Martin at least wants to finish the books. Rothfuss doesn't.

14 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Triskan,

I liked The Slow Regard of Silent Things too.

No true Scotsman likes this book.

12 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

I can easily understand why people don't like it, and if it had been any longer than it was I think it would have started to outstay its welcome, but for me it just worked. Auri is awesome. Her face and hands and feet are very clean :P 

And I hope you guys know that I'm being cheeky with my comment.  I did not care for it too much though.  And it pains me to say it, but it made me realize that I really do like Rothfuss' main work and I didn't like this because it was such a departure.  

Here's a question for the whole thread:  I totally get knocking Rothfuss for his pathetic pace, but are there actually signs that he's not even hoping to complete book 3?  Would he not be leaving tens of millions of dollars on the table?  Wasn't WMF a NYT bestseller?

In other news, the book 3 Q&A (from the Worldbuilders stretch goal) is actually happening. Scheduled for Friday: http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2017/02/worldbuilders-stretch-goal-book-3-qa/

There's a form embedded there where you can submit questions if you want. Not that I expect to get any significant info out of this. 

Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear have sold over 10 million copies between them, which is insane for just two books. He also got paid a lot of money from Lionsgate for the film and TV rights to the books, probably a couple of million (at least).

Rothfuss probably never needs to work again.

28 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Rothfuss probably never needs to work again.

Money is far from the only reason one would need to work.

If he has no motivation to finish his work, no monetary incentive would do the trick either way.

32 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear have sold over 10 million copies between them, which is insane for just two books.

Wow! I knew that he was a best-seller and sold pretty well.But that's a damn high number for a debut author with just 2 books!! :o

Wonder how some of his contemporaries compare?

5 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Wow! I knew that he was a best-seller and sold pretty well.But that's a damn high number for a debut author with just 2 books!! :o

Wonder how some of his contemporaries compare?

If only someone had put together a list on this issue :)

Sanderson has more than twice the sales, but he has a hell of a lot more books. Rothfuss is easily, in terms of sales-per-books, the biggest debut epic fantasy author of this century.

On 1/23/2017 at 1:59 PM, KiDisaster said:

Finished my re-read this afternoon. As expected, am now sad and impatient for Day 3 yet again :P 

About to start Slow Regard for the first time. Might see about getting the other two short stories after that. Haven't read them either. 

OMG.  HOW MANY TIMES DID SHE WASH HER HANDS AND FEET?  This had better turn out to be important for a reason later.

3 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

haha,yup i read those numbers.Just wondering how old/recent some of the numbers are for Lynch,Weeks etc. ;)

Lynch, Sanderson and Weeks are pretty recent (within the last year). Abercrombie's figures are a bit older.

Archived