Rothfuss XII: The Doors of Twitch

scortius the charioteer

On 2/4/2017 at 1:06 AM, Lord Barger said:

I couldn't agree more with the comment from the Tor page:

Rothfuss is worrried about the impact his book will have on the “collective consciousness” of the world.   Holy shit, no damn wonder we’ll be waiting until 2020 to read book 3.   I give up.  Wake me up when the 20th anniv edition of NoTW is released.  Perhaps Patrick will have figured out by then we just want a damn story, not a soul cleansing life changing epiphany from his words. Good frickin grief it’s just so self-indulgently absurd.

I hear you.  Nevertheless, we had 10 plus threads dissecting NoTW and TWF for a reason.  You don't just churn out a book with depth and subtley using Brandon Sanderson's methods.

That Rothfuss lied about having the series finished, sucks.  That he taunts his readers with his video game play, is ridiculous.  Nevertheless, I want him to take his time with his book because if it sucks, we'll all be upset.

18 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I hear you.  Nevertheless, we had 10 plus threads dissecting NoTW and TWF for a reason.  You don't just churn out a book with depth and subtley using Brandon Sanderson's methods.

It's been a while since I've read Rothfuss, so I may have forgotten something but considering Sanderson's The Stormlight Archives can run circles around Rothfuss' two books so far, I'd say that's a rather ridiculous comparison.

43 minutes ago, baxus said:

It's been a while since I've read Rothfuss, so I may have forgotten something but considering Sanderson's The Stormlight Archives can run circles around Rothfuss' two books so far, I'd say that's a rather ridiculous comparison.

That is uh, not the popular opinion round these parts, although I can think of plenty of authors with deep and subtle works who seem to, you know, write.

Well, I've never been one for popular opinions. ;) 

As I said, it's been a while since I've read Rothfuss but I don't remember anything that would rank his work so highly, though it definitely was fun to read. I might need to re-read TNotW and TWMF to brush up on the subject.

On 2/4/2017 at 7:05 PM, Darth Richard II said:

He says a lot of stuff. I wonder if in ten years anyone will even remember this series existed.

With Lin Manuel Miranda doing the film/tv stuff its just going to get exponentially more popular over that time period, and Rothfuss's ego will grow at an even faster rate.

I thought we had 10 plus threads because Name of the Wind was quite good (apart from that weird draccus bit at the end) and Wise Man's Fear blew donkey chunks? It was just quite well-written donkey chunks that people have been assuming - with varying degrees of plausibility - covers up some deeper and more interesting subtle bit of clever plotting or worldbuilding. But still donkey chunks. There's more than a bit of the late-BSG, late-Mass Effect 3 feel of, "This is about to come crashing off the rails but we're still in denial" tone to discussions about the books.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

I thought we had 10 plus threads because Name of the Wind was quite good (apart from that weird draccus bit at the end) and Wise Man's Fear blew donkey chunks? It was just quite well-written donkey chunks that people have been assuming - with varying degrees of plausibility - covers up some deeper and more interesting subtle bit of clever plotting or worldbuilding. But still donkey chunks. There's more than a bit of the late-BSG, late-Mass Effect 3 feel of, "This is about to come crashing off the rails but we're still in denial" tone to discussions about the books.

This, and also "When's it coming out?" "We have no entitlement to a new book." "Rothfuss is so irritating with his playing video games instead of writing." "Rothfuss doesnt need to write if he doesn't want to." "Ooh look Rothfuss gave an interview." "This book will never be done." "...fairy sex..."

Etc...

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

I enjoyed TWMF, with the exception of the Felurian portion (and excluding from that the Ctheah which I really liked).

3 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Yeah, what we're seeing now is the same thing that happened in the early 2000s when all those fantasy books were being adapted into movies. None of them were the next Lord of the Rings, and the KKC adaptations are sure as shit not going to be the next Game of Thrones.

In defense of the pending adaptations, no one has yet seen storyboard one at this point.  In the early 2000s YA Fantasy and anything that even vaguely resembled LOTR were gobbled up by studios and churned out one after the other for quick profits (or not, I'm looking at you The Seeker: The Dark is Rising).  This was all long before GoT showed how this could be done both critically and commercially really well, and I think the upcoming Dark Tower adaptation will be a good bellwether as to whether this could be something good.  I believe in the people working on it anyhow.  Yeah, it'd be nice if we could get back to discussing the book but I think everything that can be said has mostly been said.

I enjoyed both books very much, but they are essentially a collection of short stories that have been crowbarred into the space of two novels. TNotW had the Draccus ending added so it slightly resembled a novel, then I guess they figured it had sold enough that they didn't bother with tWMF. This is why I didn't understand changing the adaption from a TV series to a film, the books were made for episodic television if you ask me.

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

I enjoyed both books very much, but they are essentially a collection of short stories that have been crowbarred into the space of two novels. TNotW had the Draccus ending added so it slightly resembled a novel, then I guess they figured it had sold enough that they didn't bother with tWMF. This is why I didn't understand changing the adaption from a TV series to a film, the books were made for episodic television if you ask me.

I think they'd do better on TV as well, but say you have a 10-13 episode season, would 5-6 of those eps essentially consist of "Kvothe is desperately poor this week?".  This is one aspect I think people have harped on as somewhat tiresome, but feels real to me as someone who has been desperately poor, it's rather all consuming.  My concern is as well as it's written on the page, it doesn't necessarily make riveting TV.  We spend the bulk of 2 books at the University, where essentially, Kvothe learns a few things, and makes some friends, enemies, and terrible decisions.

I think the series will get made, its way farther along in pre production then most series that have been optioned. If it's any ood is another story.

8 hours ago, Werthead said:

Yeah, that's my thinking as well, although I hope I'm wrong.

I gather the main book trilogy will be films (no-one knows how many at this point) and the TV show will spin off that. If it's one book per film, then by necessity they'll have to drop 90% of the pointless bullshit from the novels, which may result in a better story.

Archived