Ranking Tarantino

Theda Baratheon

48 minutes ago, nah said:

When people talk about what makes Tarantino great one of the first words out of anyone's mouth is inevitably "dialogue," and Death Proof has the best dialogue out of all his pre-Inglorious Basterds stuff. Maybe the best dialogue period.

Idk about all that. There’s a reason Pulp Fiction became so endlessly quotable, and Reservoir Dogs basically is the dialogue. Although, yes, there’s also some really strong performances by Keitel, Madsen, Buscemi, etc. 

17 minutes ago, nah said:

Reservoir Dogs tells a story through dialogue, which is impressive in its own way, but also a little different than what Death Proof does, which is make the act of conversation itself take center stage. The most compelling parts of the movie are just groups f people sitting around a bar or a a coffee table, or a a car shooting the shit. When the "stunt man" shows up with all the senseless violence, it feels like it's interrupting the important parts of the film. Somewhat of a converse to the blockbuster action stuff where the dialogue feels like it's just meant to take you from one action spectacle to the next.

Exactly, I'm glad I'm not the only one who liked the movie. 

Since the Tarantino thread is busy atm, I’m curious as to what people’s preferences are wrt his 10th, and possibly final film. I know he’s mentioned Star Trek, a third Kill Bill, another western, etc. If he does do only one more what would you want the most? For me, it’s not even a question, it’s another crime drama. Something along the lines of his first three. I think that’s where he’s at his strongest. I’d be least enthusiastic about Star Trek tbh, even if it’d be interesting to see his take. I wouldn’t mind seeing him do a horror, but I’m pretty sure he’s always shot that idea down, despite loving the genre. 

8 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Since the Tarantino thread is busy atm, I’m curious as to what people’s preferences are wrt his 10th, and possibly final film. I know he’s mentioned Star Trek, a third Kill Bill, another western, etc. If he does do only one more what would you want the most? For me, it’s not even a question, it’s another crime drama. Something along the lines of his first three. I think that’s where he’s at his strongest. I’d be least enthusiastic about Star Trek tbh, even if it’d be interesting to see his take. I wouldn’t mind seeing him do a horror, but I’m pretty sure he’s always shot that idea down, despite loving the genre. 

Another western most likely, although the second volume of Kill Bill was pretty much a spaghetti western anyways, so a third one along the same lines would also be mightily fun. 

What makes me laugh is that Tarantino has said in a directors round table that he wants to stop directing before he gets old as he doesn't want to spoil his legacy. He wants to have a perfect roster of movies.

But looking at these lists, it appears to be far too late for that. 

3 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

What makes me laugh is that Tarantino has said in a directors round table that he wants to stop directing before he gets old as he doesn't want to spoil his legacy. He wants to have a perfect roster of movies.

But looking at these lists, it appears to be far too late for that. 

All of his films have been generally well received by critics and audiences alike. I think Death Proof is his lowest rated, and it’s still at 65% on RT, 7/10 on IMDb, etc. 

3 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

All of his films have been generally well received by critics and audiences alike. I think Death Proof is his lowest rated, and it’s still at 65% on RT, 7/10 on IMDb, etc. 

There is usually something to like in every one of his movies, and I think he has his fair share or fan boys and haters at the same time. 

I do think his roster is far from perfect however and I think quite a lot of people would say they outright disliked a couple of his movies, especially Death Proof. I personally hate it, and also hate Kill Bill 2. 

12 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I really think his next film is going to be Star Trek. There's just been too much talk about it being in development recently. However, he's also said recently he may take the loophole of Star Trek not counting as his 10th and last movie because it's "not an original." Though in that interview he also said if he did Star Trek he'd really want to commit to it and so maybe would decide it counts.

And personally, I'd be really interested in his take on science fiction. I want him to break out of his comfort zone and try something really different. He did that with Inglorious Basterds, and it was one of his best movies, but now he's been doing this revisionist period pieces a bit too long and they've been getting worse. I'd also be excited if he did something like his take on a spy thriller; what does Tarantino's Mission Impossible-type movie look like?

28 minutes ago, Fez said:

I really think his next film is going to be Star Trek. There's just been too much talk about it being in development recently. However, he's also said recently he may take the loophole of Star Trek not counting as his 10th and last movie because it's "not an original."

The man can do what he likes, it's a stupid self imposed limit anyway. But Jackie Brown wasn't an original either. It was adapted from an Elmore Leonard story. So I don't follow his logic at all. Doesn't he also not count Death Proof for some reason? 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Lol, I won't apologise, its him at his most self indulgent, least interested in being entertaining worst. I describe it as his 'Lucas moment'

Hey de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum and all that jazz. I find few films as mesmerizing as Uma Thurman's bride meeting with Bill's surrogate Mexican father 

25 minutes ago, RumHam said:

The man can do what he likes, it's a stupid self imposed limit anyway. But Jackie Brown wasn't an original either. It was adapted from an Elmore Leonard story. So I don't follow his logic at all. Doesn't he also not count Death Proof for some reason? 

Isn’t the character “The Bride” a rip off too?  

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Lol, I won't apologise, its him at his most self indulgent, least interested in being entertaining worst

No, it's him at his most..masochistic.  He makes that very clear.

ETA:  On this point on what of his stuff is based on other stuff - all of Tarantino's shit is derivative.  That's kind of the point of his being the film buff filmmaker.  And as @RumHam said, I really don't give a shit about his self-imposed limit.  I make deadlines for myself all the time and routinely break them, I don't lose any sleep about it.  And, yes, between the Kill Bills and Death Proof he's already confused what 10 means.  OUATIH is apparently ninth?  K, does that mean the Kill Bills count as one or you're not counting Death Proof.  Has he ever clarified this?

ETA II:  And as someone mentioned up thread, what about his entry in Four Rooms?

20 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I never heard that, of what? I mean he does like his homages / borrowing stuff.

It’s heavily influenced by a manga/movie called Lady Snowblood. Apparently it’s also nonlinear.   

Archived