Ranking Tarantino

Theda Baratheon

3 hours ago, DMC said:

No, it's him at his most..masochistic.  He makes that very clear.

ETA:  On this point on what of his stuff is based on other stuff - all of Tarantino's shit is derivative.  That's kind of the point of his being the film buff filmmaker.  And as @RumHam said, I really don't give a shit about his self-imposed limit.  I make deadlines for myself all the time and routinely break them, I don't lose any sleep about it.  And, yes, between the Kill Bills and Death Proof he's already confused what 10 means.  OUATIH is apparently ninth?  K, does that mean the Kill Bills count as one or you're not counting Death Proof.  Has he ever clarified this?

ETA II:  And as someone mentioned up thread, what about his entry in Four Rooms?

Yes, Kill Bill counts as one film. And guest directing part of Sin City, his segment of Four Rooms, etc, do not count as full length features in the 10. He’s currently at 9. Think the working title for OUATIH was even #9 for awhile. 

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Yes, Kill Bill counts as one film. And guest directing part of Sin City, his segment of Four Rooms, etc, do not count as full length features in the 10. He’s currently at 9. Think the working title for OUATIH was even #9 for awhile. 

Yeah the point is these are just completely arbitrary and nobody really gives a shit (or at least shouldn't), it's just a way for him to hype himself up.  He might "stop" at 10, but he's only 56.  I know he's claimed he'll just start writing novels and film lit, but his whole life is making movies.  I'd bet a lot of money he's not gonna be able to stay away for more than, like, a decade.

14 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah the point is these are just completely arbitrary and nobody really gives a shit (or at least shouldn't), it's just a way for him to hype himself up.  He might "stop" at 10, but he's only 56.  I know he's claimed he'll just start writing novels and film lit, but his whole life is making movies.  I'd bet a lot of money he's not gonna be able to stay away for more than, like, a decade.

A cynic might even wonder if this is an Oscar strategy. 

Anyways, I didn't know QT played a role in making Sin City. What was his impact?

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

A cynic might even wonder if this is an Oscar strategy. 

Anyways, I didn't know QT played a role in making Sin City. What was his impact?

From IMDB:  

Guest director Quentin Tarantino directed the scene involving Dwight (Clive Owen) and Jackie Boy (Benicio Del Toro) in the front of the car, before Dwight is pulled over by a police officer.

He got paid $1, it was in return for Rodriguez scoring Kill Bill 2 for $1.

I watched Jackie Brown last night, and I have to say, it fell in my “at the moment” list.

1. Pulp Fiction

2. Kill Bill

3. Django Unchained

4. Inglorious Bastards

5. Reservoir Dogs

6. The Hateful Eight

7. Jackie Brown

8. Death Proof

Also, going back to QT’s film count, why aren’t we counting My Best Friend’s Wedding? He’s already directed at least 10, and maybe 11, movies. Are we going to force him to retire? :P

Just a heads up it looks like most of his movies are on Netflix (at least in the US.) Watching Jackie Brown now. I also saw Pulp Fuction, two versions of The Hateful Eight and Inglorious Basterds on there. 

I just watched Reservoir Dogs on Amazon Prime (I'm in the US).  BTW, I just got Prime a few weeks ago, and how the fuck is their rewind/fast forward so horrible (when I watch it through the Playstation, pretty sure it's fine on my computer)?  I mean, how hard is it to not make that suck?

10 hours ago, DMC said:

I just watched Reservoir Dogs on Amazon Prime (I'm in the US).  BTW, I just got Prime a few weeks ago, and how the fuck is their rewind/fast forward so horrible (when I watch it through the Playstation, pretty sure it's fine on my computer)?  I mean, how hard is it to not make that suck?

Agree. I thought Amazon Prime had a bit of a refresh of its interface (on some devices anyway) but their video controls are still mostly awful. I do like their ability to skip forwards and back 10 seconds but then you can only do that on some devices. Prime on my TV is terrible and even worse on my Firestick. I'm guessing this is the same on Playstation. They are so far behind Netflix in so many ways.

I do want to do a rewatch of Reservoir Dogs, I wonder if it still holds up. I love Pulp Fiction but these days it feels so much a product of its time, as almost every movie that came out for the next 5-10 years tried to copy it.

Archived