Ranking Tarantino

Theda Baratheon

15 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

I am super skeptical both that he knows what's in the briefcase, and that QT would really do a sequel to Pulp Fiction. Not only does Pulp Fiction not need it, but it would ruin the mystery to reveal it in a sequel all these years later.

Ving said a "sequel", but I personally believe it would be more like a same universe type of movie that involved the briefcase. It wouldn't be the first time Tarantino has done that (see the Vega brothers from PF and RD).

4 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Surely none of that makes up for its snail pacing

From everything I've read, most of the issues with Vol. 2 are a result of having to separate it from Vol. 1. 

12 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I will lose my shit if he makes a sequel to Pulp Fiction. It's perfect, leave it alone. And I don't want to know what's in the briefcase. There's no way it wouldn't end up being dissapointing.

Assuming Tarantino holds true to his promise to make 10 movies and that's it, he's only got 2 movies left in him (he counts the Kill Bills as one movie, and only counts movies he both wrote and directed the entirety of). That being the case, I doubt he'd waste 1 of the 2 trying to make a Pulp Fiction sequel. 

Personally, I'd still really like him to try his hand at science fiction sometime. He has mentioned it once, but didn't sound too emphatic about it.

“I’m not really interested in doing a sci-fi film, but there’s one thing in particular that I would be interested in,” Tarantino told Lane Brown in outtakes from the pair’s interview in the latest issue of New York. “I can’t tell you what it is, though, because I would literally be telling you exactly what it is. And then I wouldn’t be able to do it, because everyone would talk about it, because it is one thing in particular. It might be science-fiction, but it wouldn’t involve spaceships.”

If Tarantino’s aversion to UFOs sounds familiar, it’s because the director has given that qualification before when talking about the potential project.

“If you had asked me a few years ago [about my interest in doing sci-fi film] I would have said: ‘Nah, not really, I don’t know,’” Tarantino said at Comic-Con in 2014. “But I have a little idea right now. It’s a little flower, you know, like a bean sprout, but those tend to grow into stalks. So this is the first time I’ll be able to say ‘maybe.’ It won’t be a spaceship sci-fi, it’ll be Earthbound.”

13 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Kill Bill vol 2 is definately overlooked a lot. There are some really awesome scenes in that one, but the Bride vs the Crazy 88 might be the best scene in any of his movies. So if I had to pick which one is better it would be the first.

That being said, it feels unnatural to me to separate them. QT meant them as a single movie, even if we still can't purchase them as a single movie (sigh).

They're always sold in work as a double pack, I work in a DVD store and the double pack is the same price as the individual movies lol. 

Also I never separate them in my head, always think of them as one, the ''Kill Bills''

Kills Bills.

Anyway, they feel like two very different movies to me, the kung-fu actioner vs the slower-burn Western, so I always separate them. I'd be interested in seeing how The Whole Bloody Affair would manage the pacing - I think it'd be difficult to just stitch them together just in the order they are if that's what it is because the end of Vol. 1. is such a perfect action-movie climax and putting that in the middle would overbalance it badly. I could see it working better if he switched some orders back around and put the O-Ren/Crazy-88s stuff as a sort of prologue. But really, pacing-wise, it just feels like two films to me, no matter what Tarantino says.

3 hours ago, Maithanet said:

So I haven't seen either Hateful 8 or True Romance.  Which one is a higher priority?

They're both totally different. If you want a pretty easy and fun watch; True Romance. If you've got a few hours spare and don't mind a slow burning Western, or actively like one then Hateful Eight. 

1 minute ago, Theda Baratheon said:

They're both totally different. If you want a pretty easy and fun watch; True Romance. If you've got a few hours spare and don't mind a slow burning Western, or actively like one then Hateful Eight. 

Yeah you definitely cant compare the hateful 8 and true romance. In fact those two ardent even considered two of Tarantino's best films. I mean I like them.

1 - Inglourious Basterds
2 - Pulp Fiction
3 - Kill Bill
4 - The Hateful Eight
5 - Django Unchained
6 - Jackie Brown
7 - Reservoir Dogs

Now, the last four are the ones I haven't rewatched yet, and this list will probably change once I do. But this is it atm. I still need to see Death Proof.

6 hours ago, polishgenius said:

True Romance for sure. That Walken/Gandolfini scene might be the best Tarantino has written (though the opener of IB runs it close). And the whole film is superb. It's one of the reasons I continue to stand by my assertion that, overall, Tony > Ridley.

*Walken/Hopper ;)

Archived