Ranking Tarantino

Theda Baratheon

1 - Pulp Fiction - people still know the entire dialogue to this, it's so good I probably havent watched it in 10-15 years but I still know all the lines. Jules Winnfield is still an all time great movie character. 

2 - Django Unchained - a masterpiece of a movie. Has to be in discussion of greatest western of all time IMO

3 - Kill Bill - It's aging well, I seem to like it more and more the older it gets. It's worth both movies to get to Bill, and his Superman speech still holds up. 

4 - Hateful 8 - Might be too early to rate this properly, I loved it. A lot like a western Res Dogs to me. Most of the movie in one location 

5 - Reservoir Dogs - Michael Madsen steals the show. Say the goddamn words!

Inglorious Bastards, Deathproof, Grindhouse, Jackie Brown all good movies, but not in my top 5

3 hours ago, Nictarion said:

1. Pulp Fiction 

2. Reservoir Dogs 

3. Jackie Brown

4. Inglourious Basterds 

5. Kill Bill

6. Hateful Eight 

7. Django Unchained 

8. Death Proof

Almost exactly my pick. I'd sparate Kill Bills though:

1) Pulp Fiction
2) Reservoir Dogs 
3) Inglourious Basterds 
4) Jackie Brown
5) Kill Bill vol. 2
6) The Hateful Eight
7) Kill Bill vol. 1
8) Django Unchained
9) Death Proof

I include a bigger group, but all of these he's either Director, Writer, Producer or Actor in, most of them multiple titles (or all of the above) apply.

1. Kill Bill vol 1

2. Pulp Fiction

3. Jackie Brown

4. Kill Bill vol 2

5. Resevoir Dogs

6. Django Unchained

7. Hateful 8

8. Inglorious Bastards

9. 4 Rooms (This shit is funny as hell if youve never seen it btw)

10. From Dusk till Dawn

11. True Romance

12. Natural Born Killers

13. Desperado

14. Sin City

I love all of them so the rankings are of only marginal difference to me. Havent seen Death Proof or Grindhouse.

Eta; I see Quentin was also Executive Producer for Hostel 2 lololol.

1) Inglorious Basterds

2) Pulp Fiction

3) Django Unchained

4) The Hateful Eight

5) Reservoir Dogs

6) Everything else.

Had a tough time picking between PF and IB for no. 1 spot.

I really like Django as well, but the drawn out ending which I did not like marks it down to no. 3

Hateful 8 had fantastic moments, superb setting, but it falls a bit below Django and the other two. Characters were mesmerizing.

I saw this film with my sisters and parents and they all hated it. I was the only one who really enjoyed it.

I did not care much for the Kill Bill films though. I probably need to give those a proper chance.

I'm definitely going to try to watch Jackie Brown and Death Proof, and rewatch Django and Reservoir dogs soon...

Really pleased to see Inglourious Basterds ranking high on a lot of people's lists. I think it's such a smart movie, the cast is spectacular, the dialogue is great - has some of the best movie momets in the whole of cinema; really interesting characters and makes us empathise with some people we really probably shouldn't, but that's how smart the movie is and I love the breaking down of what propaganda is and how it's reflected by the characters. We see the German propaganda movie with the young soldier and you still end up kinda liking him, this NAZI WAR HERO, and the scene with the bear jew presents us with a Nazi general (everyone knows Nazis are evil!!!) and the Bear Jew and yet in that scene you sort of, despite yourself kinda respect how stoic the general seems and have contempt for the childishness and stupidness of the bear jew. Which is the very film playing around with propaganda - but also you can't choose DEFINITELY which characters to completely root for. it's also Christoph Waltz finest international performance I've seen. he's in everyhing now and good luck to the man, well deserved. but my God is he spectacular in IB. The milk scene, the cafe scene, IT'S A BINGO! and then the rest of the cast are just fantastic. the underground bar scene, the cat people makeup scene....it's but a movie (like most Tarantino actually) of great scene after great scene. and it feels so EPIC and important to his movie universe. What a cracking film. 

17 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I'm definitely going to try to watch Jackie Brown and Death Proof, and rewatch Django and Reservoir dogs soon...

Really pleased to see Inglourious Basterds ranking high on a lot of people's lists. I think it's such a smart movie, the cast is spectacular, the dialogue is great - has some of the best movie momets in the whole of cinema; really interesting characters and makes us empathise with some people we really probably shouldn't, but that's how smart the movie is and I love the breaking down of what propaganda is and how it's reflected by the characters. We see the German propaganda movie with the young soldier and you still end up kinda liking him, this NAZI WAR HERO, and the scene with the bear jew presents us with a Nazi general (everyone knows Nazis are evil!!!) and the Bear Jew and yet in that scene you sort of, despite yourself kinda respect how stoic the general seems and have contempt for the childishness and stupidness of the bear jew. Which is the very film playing around with propaganda - but also you can't choose DEFINITELY which characters to completely root for. it's also Christoph Waltz finest international performance I've seen. he's in everyhing now and good luck to the man, well deserved. but my God is he spectacular in IB. The milk scene, the cafe scene, IT'S A BINGO! and then the rest of the cast are just fantastic. the underground bar scene, the cat people makeup scene....it's but a movie (like most Tarantino actually) of great scene after great scene. and it feels so EPIC and important to his movie universe. What a cracking film. 

Very nice summing up of why this film is so excellent. Fantastic role from Brad Pitt as well, and as you say, Waltz has not yet equaled this performance ( though he's been decent in all the roles I have seen him in).

17 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Reveal hidden contents

Yes. I'm sure of it.

Yeah me too, definitely. I know there's a lot of discussion about this scene and whether he knew but i'm sure he does. Not only with all the hints...but

At this point he had already decided to betray Hitler and as Shoshanna totally kept her cool throughout the whole encounter, though the slightest bit nervous, I think he 1) respected her a little bit and 2) decided as he was already against Hitler there was absolutely no point in calling her in and he was just having fun playing cat and mouse in the moment. 3) he just wanted to see what she would do, let the chaos ensue as long as he could keep himself out of it 

1) Pulp Fiction- Everything that is good about Tarantino's work, executed to a flawless degree.

2) Inglourious Basterds- See above; except I think Tarantino fell a little to in love with Christoph Waltz and had him monolog on a bit too long at times.

3) Reservoir Dogs- I was worried it wouldn't hold up for me, but I saw it again recently and it does. Its not even the warehouse scenes so much as all the flashbacks that are just fantastic.

4) Kill Bill Vol. 1- I separated out the Kill Bills because I think Vol. 1 is a lot more fun and pulpy than Vol. 2; there's no contest between the Crazy 88s and Budd.

5) Django Unchained- This would be higher, but it just drags on too long at the end. I think the shootout after Dr. Schultz is killed should've been extended and been the climax to the movie; everything after that point just felt excessive.

6) Jackie Brown- I've only seen this once, and I don't remember it that well. But I remember Pam Grier being a lot of fun to watch.

7) Kill Bill Vol. 2- I don't much about this one; except that the Thurman/Carradine scenes are great.

8) Death Proof- Legitimately bad movie

I haven't seen Hateful Eight. If I add From Dusk Till Dawn, it'd slide between Django Unchained and Jackie Brown; that movie is crazy and pretty dumb, but so much fun.

1. Kill Bill - Both parts, it's one movie, and it's fantastic from start to finish IMO. 

2. Inglorious Basterds - The opening scene in the farm house with the milk is quite possible my favorite scene in any movie. 

3. Pulp Fiction - Endlessly quotable & re-watchable. 

4. Reservoir Dogs - Stuck in the middle with you. 

5. Hateful Eight - Walton Goggins Jr. was phenomenal and so was pretty much everyone else but Tarantino's love of making actors say the N-word really shows here. Even more so than Django, which is saying something. 

6. Four Rooms - Technically he only directed a quarter of this but whatever, it's brilliant. 

7. Django Unchained - Still only seen this once, which is unique among the list. Should watch again. 

8. Death Proof - The only thing he's ever done that I just don't like at all. 

I've never seen Jackie Brown or True Romance. Need to get on those. 

2 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Yeah me too, definitely. I know there's a lot of discussion about this scene and whether he knew but i'm sure he does. Not only with all the hints...but

Hide contents

At this point he had already decided to betray Hitler and as Shoshanna totally kept her cool throughout the whole encounter, though the slightest bit nervous, I think he 1) respected her a little bit and 2) decided as he was already against Hitler there was absolutely no point in calling her in and he was just having fun playing cat and mouse in the moment. 3) he just wanted to see what she would do, let the chaos ensue as long as he could keep himself out of it 

I think the scene is even better if he does know..... but allows her to walk.

It's hard to establish for certain, but it just feels like he should know, and probably does.

Just now, Calibandar said:

I think the scene is even better if he does know..... but allows her to walk.

It's hard to establish for certain, but it just feels like he should know, and probably does.

I agree - it's better than he knows; to be personally. He's just playing cat and mouser and really enjoying the discomfort and horror of it all. 

3 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Death Proof is fine for what it is, a spoof of a Grindhouse style B movie. I liked Planet Terror better, but DP has some decent QT dialogue, and I always enjoy Kurt Russell. 

Agreed. I'll probably never watch it again but I enjoyed it for what it was. Russell was great.

As for Landa knowing who Shoshanna was, it's been a while since I saw the movie but I don't see how he could know. He never even gets a good look at her face as she escaped in the opening. Plus it was all those years later and her family was just one of many he had killed, I'm sure. 

12 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Agreed. I'll probably never watch it again but I enjoyed it for what it was. Russell was great.

As for Landa knowing who Shoshanna was, it's been a while since I saw the movie but I don't see how he could know. He never even gets a good look at her face as she escaped in the opening. Plus it was all those years later and her family was just one of many he had killed, I'm sure. 

It is incredibly improbable that he could have figured it out given what is revealed to the audience.  However, based on how Landa was acting, it seems very likely that he did indeed know, somehow.  Perhaps he had followed up and continued hunting Shoshanna, and thus had additional information about her whereabouts that the audience does not know? 

Rather than knowing for sure - I definitely think he SUSPECTED. He was proudly a detective sort - he would have gathered multiple descriptions from the neighbouring farmers so would have likely known her height, general frame and appearance. he might EVEN have had photographs but I don't know about that...he definitely would have had more information than we were given during the interrogation scene 

Archived