Netflix's December Drama - The OA

Theda Baratheon

I don't really know anything about this show as of yet, but all the episodes premiered TODAY so I thought I would create a topic for people to discuss it when they watch it but also to alert people to its existence!!!

It already seems critically acclaimed.

This is what the Guardian has to say about it: 

Miracles are, by their very nature, unnatural. So when a missing blind woman abruptly reappears with her sight restored, it freaks people out. Where has Prairie been for seven years? How was her blindness cured? What’s with the weird scars on her back? These are just your starters for zen in the world of The OA, a cryptic new drama, arriving almost out of nowhere on to Netflix this week.

The site imposed a media blackout on The OA, preventing any interviews or reviews around the show until after it launched, like the streaming equivalent of a Beyoncé-style surprise album drop. The opaque trailer that surfaced last Monday was one of the few concessions to its existence. “Maybe because we spent a lot of time figuring out the answers to our riddles and mysteries, we then became very protective of them,” says Brit Marling, star and co-showrunner. 

I will be watching the first episode a bit later and posting with my opinions just wanted to create this for anyone who didn't know it existed as I only just found out about it! 

Well - I'm hooked. Halfway through episode 5 and might even stay up all night to finish the rest. Really fantastic and strange and interesting. I really should check out Brit Marling's Another Earth - it's been on my watchlist for ages now and I'm loving this show. 

OK, I have to stop coming to this board :D You are spreading my interests to the point where I have to sacrifice work and academia...

Only this month, I have added Young Pope, The Crown, 3%, Stranger things and now this...

You people are killing me, said he, grumpily adding another TV show to his watchlist :D 

29 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

i almost didn't get through he first episode, but there is a point where it changes and from there I was hooked back in. 

Theda, how does the narrative progress? Is it split between past and present? 

Yes. It's storytelling within storyteling so expect to see a lot of flashbacks. It takes you in some very unexpected places though and starts to feel more and more epic and by the time you get to the end it really has been a fantastic journey. 

I was hooked and I watched the entire season faster than any other Netflix show, save Stranger Things maybe.

But I gotta say, the "climax" it was building to felt absurd and ridiculous.

Spoiler

The shooting came of nowhere, and it's so out of place and different in tone from the rest... because it's still a sensitive topic. I cannot think of an ISIS terrorist or a deranged armed teenager facing this stupid dance of five lunatics and not feel that this scene is quite offensive and weird.

Pretty good, I marathoned it all without expecting to do so. Its really good at getting you hooked. 

With this this script they could have easily made something hacky and awful. (Remember Lady in the Water?) But it came out as something really worth watching.

Only complaint is the movements. I was ok with the concept of the movements but the way the actors perform them is so cringy. Its like really bad interpretive dance.

I actually really like the movements but I totally understand why some people wouldn't. I love magic and witchy things like that though. I LOVED Khatun and her world. 

I think the actors perform the movements really,really well as well - maybe it's just because I love to dance myself but like...I'm not a dancer and my dance movies are kinda similar to some od those movements HAHAHA veryKate Bush esque

..and they also have to be performed with perfect feeling, and by strong, brave people with the potential to be angels 

21 hours ago, Pliskin said:

I was hooked and I watched the entire season faster than any other Netflix show, save Stranger Things maybe.

But I gotta say, the "climax" it was building to felt absurd and ridiculous.

Reveal hidden contents

The shooting came of nowhere, and it's so out of place and different in tone from the rest... because it's still a sensitive topic. I cannot think of an ISIS terrorist or a deranged armed teenager facing this stupid dance of five lunatics and not feel that this scene is quite offensive and weird.

Maybe the ending was offensive but I personally loved it 

and that's the thing though...they're not just weird kids doing a dance, I don't believe she was lying at all so I genuinely think they're creating something powerful with those movements.

On 17/12/2016 at 0:42 AM, Theda Baratheon said:

Well - I'm hooked. Halfway through episode 5 and might even stay up all night to finish the rest. Really fantastic and strange and interesting. I really should check out Brit Marling's Another Earth - it's been on my watchlist for ages now and I'm loving this show. 

You should really watch The Sound of My Voice, which actually has quite a lot of similarity in role and performance, and is brilliant. But Another Earth is also good.

Anyway, we have only watched two episodes so far so I'm outta this thread for now. :)

2 hours ago, Isis said:

You should really watch The Sound of My Voice, which actually has quite a lot of similarity in role and performance, and is brilliant. But Another Earth is also good.

Anyway, we have only watched two episodes so far so I'm outta this thread for now. :)

I plan on it! i know its the same two people who worked on this - and there was just something about this show that totally appealed to me - hope you enjoy it! 

Archived