Doctor who Series 10; He has been away for a while but he is back! Contains spoilers.

Jon's Queen Consort

I think this season is the first time in a while I've been really anticipating the next episode. The Pyramids episode was mostly good, although the ending was a bit too contrived. It felt like the combination lock is the sort of problem the Doctor is usually able to solve with a bit of ingenuity, and given how advanced Timelord technology is, it does seem a bit unlikely that his glasses aren't a bit more effective. It's also a bit unconvincing that Bill could be said to have the authority to surrender Earth to the aliens, she may be the Doctor's Companion but it's not as if he's going to be bound by her decisions. I quite liked the banality of the world-ending threat, where the Earth is almost destroyed by a lab tech with a hangover.

I've been truly enjoying this season so far ! Extremis and Thin Ice are remarkable episodes, Oxygen and the Pilot are really good too...

But damn, Pyramid was a complete let down, borderline lame, everything was phony and predictable, it send zero shivers down my spine, it was cheesy and unecessary complicated, I dont recall a single memorable line and the plot was kinda poor, unoriginal and mostly easy.

But I'm not ranting for the sake of ranting, I love Doctor Who and I will always do, but each season, there is a traditionally bad episode... I was hoping the meh Knock Knock would be it, but now, Pyramid has taken that slot for me.

This wasn't a bad episode at all. The only problem I had with it is that the Doctor's dilemma could have been taken care of by simply switching on the camera phone and sending Bill a picture (I assume the Doctor has audio cues on his futuristic space phone so he can identify functions by sound, because if not, that's crap Time Lord technology).

While I agree there was a bit of an underwhelming holiness to last night, I reevaluated it a touch after reading a Nerdist take on it, and the season as a whole...

Side note: Is anyone watching Class? Is it worth it?

I like the concept and the general tone of the episode here, but the ending was contrived as hell.

Also, I can't help but feel that the Doctor should know who a race as powerful as this is already. I mean, they can accurately model what he's got in his TARDIS, and indeed how and where and what he does in his TARDIS.

Also also, it feels a bit like Moffatt regrets giving up on the Silence arc so half-heartedly (I mean that eventual explanation was the worst) and decided to make another enemy in the same vein to sort-of finish the job.

Still, it was good as a whole and if next week is proper this arc as a whole will be worth it.

4 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I like the concept and the general tone of the episode here, but the ending was contrived as hell.

Apparently it was co-written by the same writer who wrote the Zygon episodes last season and it was very like them in that it had a mix of some good ideas and scenes as well as some nonsensical plotting.

Class was pretty good actually. I expected a silly teenage cheesy show but in the end, the teenage aspects were handled well and cleverly and the show didnt shy away from getting pretty dark. I'd even say Class is way darker as a whole than the average Doctor Who episode.

On 2017-05-28 at 8:49 AM, Jaxom 1974 said:

Side note: Is anyone watching Class? Is it worth it?

I had low expectations of it and ended up loving it.  It's more Buffy/Angel than Doctor Who, so fills that empty niche in a good way.

On 5/29/2017 at 1:41 AM, polishgenius said:

Also, I can't help but feel that the Doctor should know who a race as powerful as this is already. I mean, they can accurately model what he's got in his TARDIS, and indeed how and where and what he does in his TARDIS.

Also also, it feels a bit like Moffatt regrets giving up on the Silence arc so half-heartedly (I mean that eventual explanation was the worst) and decided to make another enemy in the same vein to sort-of finish the job.

Still, it was good as a whole and if next week is proper this arc as a whole will be worth it.

Thank you! Sometimes I feel like I am going crazy because I feel like The Silence payoff never really happened.  A villain that interesting and powerful... and I have to really wrack my brain to remember how it all shook out in the end?  I am glad it wasn't just me.

I had the same thought as someone above: camera phone for the win?  Still, this was a good episode.  I wish they had thought of a better way to wrangle the ending, though.  It was too predictable AND too easy to solve.  A Timelord brought low by a four digit combination lock?  No thank you.

Anyone else slightly disappointed that Capaldi's speech in the latest episode about all the Monks have done for us, didn't include the phrase 'strong and stable leadership'?

I thought that was a good episode. I don't even mind the love-conquers-all ending too much in this case, although the Monks really need to invest in better security. The fake-Regeneration scene was good, as was the Doctor's meetings with Missy. I thought Pearl Mackie put in a good performance, I think she's been an excellent companion so far.

4 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Anyone else slightly disappointed that Capaldi's speech in the latest episode about all the Monks have done for us, didn't include the phrase 'strong and stable leadership'?

That would probably breach BBC impartiality rules :)

Yep, Pearl Mackie really showed what she's got in that episode

Doctor Who doing Space 1889 on Mars with Napoleonic Era soldiers versus the Ice Warriors? Sounds awesome.

The idea may be better than the execution though, and I'm annoyed they're constantly going with the "evil Ice Warrior" approach in the new show.

15 hours ago, Slick Mongoose said:

I've really liked this season so far, but the preview for the next episode made it look absolutely atrocious.

Yep. It gave me "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship" vibes - just take a couple of unlikely elements, stick 'em in a single episode and see what happens. Would like to be pleasantly surprised - the last Gatiss episode was by no means a classic, but it still had enough interesting ideas that it was worthwhile watching. 

The last two episodes have been really disappointing, especially following on from In Extremis. The Lie of the Land was partially saved by Missy - Michelle Gomez just has these fantastic cold snake eyes that delight me, and the writing for her was on form. Moffat does seem to be ripping himself off a bit - anyone else reminded of the last Sherlock episode? If you have a frenemy, give her a musical instrument and keep her in a transparent glass prison. 

Bill and Nardole were great. I like Nardole - he's been one of the best parts of this series, which I certainly didn't see coming in the Christmas special. And I had to suffer the pangs of jumper envy on account of Bill's costume this episode. Damn, that was a nice jumper. 

I hated the finale of the three-parter.  I think the Moff has resorted to ripping himself off...and the "resolution" was no such thing.  It was Deus Ex Machina that made zero sense followed by nothing being resolved.  It was by far the worst offering this season and the first one to make me angry at how awful it was.  Bill drifted into Clara territory (and not in a good way) complete with a clever boy reference in the episode...

All that said, the only compelling part for me was conflicted Missy (thanks to an excellent performance by Michelle Gomez).  The problem is, Missy was utterly wasted and contributed nothing really to the plot.  (And the explanation of the vault was a limp dud as well).

On the subject of Nardole, I have to say that I have despised Matt Lucas in almost everything he's ever performed in, but he is perfectly subtle as a Capaldi sidekick and he's been my favorite part of this season, which surprises the heck out of me. 

I didn't hate part three, it just didn't have the strength of the first couple parts.  It was solid, just not spectacular.

Watching various reruns on BBC America rently, and I was struck by the difference in the color pallet of the filmed episodes.  In that, this series seems much greyer and muted. Perhaps all of Capaldi's episodes have been like this, but it is distincly different from Smith or Tennant. Though that's likely on purpose...

I hated that fake regeneration scene. It didn't make sense and seemed really out of character for both the Doctor and Bill, and the emotional punches were totally pulled. Really soured the whole episode for me.

Thought last night's episode was really strong. No outstanding performances but a good script, well delivered. The mystery of why the TARDIS wandered off with Nardole is intriguing to me: some interference from Missy?

Archived