Doctor who Series 10; He has been away for a while but he is back! Contains spoilers.

Jon's Queen Consort

After marathoning classic Who over the past few weeks, I can now report that I've seen every surviving episode of the 1963-1989 series. My rankings of the serials (only ranking those where at least 50% exist):

1. Genesis of the Daleks
  2. Pyramids of Mars
  3. The Mind Robber
  4. The Caves of Androzani
  5. Carnival of Monsters
  6. The Talons of Weng-Chiang
  7. The Enemy of the World
  8. City of Death
  9. The Green Death
  10. Inferno
  11. The Invasion
  12. Enlightenment
  13. Day of the Daleks
  14. The Robots of Death
  15. The Greatest Show in the Galaxy
  16. The Brain of Morbius
  17. The Aztecs
  18. The Web of Fear
  19. The Ark in Space
  20. Remembrance of the Daleks
  21. The Time Meddler
  22. The Ribos Operation
  23. Invasion of the Dinosaurs
  24. The Daemons
  25. Terror of the Zygons
  26. The Curse of Peladon
  27. The War Games
  28. The Horror of Fang Rock
  29. Planet of the Spiders
  30. Doctor Who and the Silurians
  31. The Curse of Fenric
  32. The Deadly Assassin
  33. Ghostlight
  34. Mawdryn Undead
  35. The Dalek Invasion of Earth
  36. The Time Warrior
  37. The Sunmakers
  38. Spearhead from Space
  39. The Tomb of the Cybermen
  40. An Unearthly Child (single episode)
  41. The Mutants
  42. Kinda
  43. Vengeance on Varos
  44. The Masque of Mandragora
  45. The Gunfighters
  46. Terror of the Autons
  47. Planet of Evil
  48. Resurrection of the Daleks
  49. Planet of Giants
  50. The Romans
  51. Colony in Space
  52. The Happiness Patrol
  53. The Androids of Tara
  54. Survival
  55. The Claws of Axos
  56. Snakedance
  57. The Seeds of Doom
  58. The Ambassadors of Death
  59. Planet of Fire
  60. The Crusade
  61. The Space Museum
  62. The Stones of Blood
  63. Castrovalva
  64. The Hand of Fear
  65. Ark of Infinity
  66. The Time Monster
  67. Logopolis
  68. Frontier in Space
  69. The Mind of Evil
  70. The Five Doctors
  71. The Pirate Planet
  72. State of Decay
  73. Nightmare of Eden
  74. The Sea Devils
  75. The Underwater Menace
  76. The Ark
  77. The Mark of the Rani
  78. Image of the Fendahl
  79. Earthshock
  80. Warriors Gate
  81. The Leisure Hive
  82. The Ice Warriors
  83. The Moonbase
  84. The Tenth Planet
  85. The Sontaran Experiment
  86. Frontios
  87. The Edge of Destruction
  88. Full Circle
  89. Four to Doomsday
  90. The Two Doctors
  91. Robot
  92. The Daleks
  93. The Keeper of Traken
  94. The Awakening
  95. The Power of Kroll
  96. The War Machines
  97. Revelation of the Daleks
  98. The Chase
  99. Battlefield
  100. The Three Doctors
  101. Revenge of the Cybermen
  102. Black Orchid
  103. The Visitation
  104. The Rescue
  105. 100,000 B.C.
  106. The Face of Evil
  107. The Seeds of Death
  108. Death to the Daleks
  109. The Android Invasion
  110. Terminus
  111. The Creature from the Pit
  112. The Keys of Marinus
  113. Planet of the Daleks
  114. The Invisible Enemy
  115. Meglos
  116. The Reign of Terror
  117. Paradise Towers
  118. The King's Demons
  119. The Armageddon Factor
  120. The Horns of Nimon
  121. Dragonfire
  122. Underworld
  123. The Trial of a Time Lord
  124. The Twin Dilemma
  125. The Krotons
  126. Delta and the Bannermen
  127. Warriors of the Deep
  128. The Sensorites
  129. Destiny of the Daleks
  130. Silver Nemesis
  131. Attack of the Cybermen
  132. The Web Planet
  133. The Monster of Peladon
  134. The Invasion of Time
  135. Timelash
  136. The Dominators
  137. Time-Flight
  138. Time and the Rani

Best for each Doctor:

• William Hartnell: The Aztecs
  • Patrick Troughton: The Mind Robber
  • Jon Pertwee: Carnival of Monsters
  • Tom Baker: Genesis of the Daleks
  • Peter Davison: The Caves of Androzani
  • Colin Baker: Vengeance on Varos
  • Sylvester McCoy: The Greatest Show in the Galaxy

Worst for each Doctor:

• William Hartnell: The Web Planet
  • Patrick Troughton: The Dominators
  • Jon Pertwee: The Monster of Peladon
  • Tom Baker: The Invasion of Time
  • Peter Davison: Time-Flight 
  • Colin Baker: Timelash
  • Sylvester McCoy: Time and the Rani

My initial reaction is that I thought that was a very good season finale, I had been a bit worried that the second half would fail to live up to the first as many two-parters have in the past but while it wasn't flawless I think it got most things right.

Moffat seems to have a weird compulsion to kill off but not really entirely kill his Companions. Bill's semi-survival could have been accused of being a bit of a deus ex machina, but I think they just about get away with it by introducing and foreshadowing this in the first episode of the series. I guess that Bill doesn't really have any particularly strong ties to life back on Earth (no particularly close family and now she believes The Doctor is dead), so it makes sense that she would be willing to go off travelling the Universe with the pilot.

The scenes with The Master and Missy were good, and it did seem a fitting end for them both, even if making the Master so literally self-destructive feels a bit too on the nose.

To be honest I didn't think much of the idea of Nardole as a Companion at the start of the season, but I think he's been a good addition to the show and it did feel like he got some nice character development with the Doctor convincing him that he'll reluctantly have to the be the hero this time.

I suppose the door is left open for both Bill and Nardole to come back in the future if they wish (probably easier in plot terms for Nardole). Might be a bit more difficult to explain bringing Missy back, but The Master has been killed off before and that hasn't stopped him coming back.

The ending was intriguing. It's a pity I'd already heard rumours about David Bradley playing the First Doctor because it would have been a nice surprise to see him coming out of the mists otherwise, but I'm definitely interested in seeing what they do with him in the Christmas Special.

Just now, The Doctor's Consort said:

According to rumors Michelle Gomez will leave along with Peter Capaldi and Steven Moffat.

I was thinking more about whether there would be another regeneration, but they seemed pretty clear in the episode that should not happen - at least if we believe The Master, who isn't always the most reliable of sources.

1 minute ago, williamjm said:

I was thinking more about whether there would be another regeneration, but they seemed pretty clear in the episode that should not happen - at least if we believe The Master, who isn't always the most reliable of sources.

I haven't seen the episode yet so can you tell me what happened?

1 hour ago, The Doctor's Consort said:

I haven't seen the episode yet so can you tell me what happened?

Missy and The Master are abandoning the Doctor to try to escape in the Master's Tardis, but at the last minute Missy decides she wants to fight alongside the Doctor for once and stabs The Master, telling him he should live long enough to reach his Tardis and regenerate. The Master then retaliates by shooting her in the back with his sonic screwdriver, telling her that it was on a high enough setting that she wouldn't be able to regenerate. They both then laugh at the inevitability of them stabbing each other in the back.

Spoilers, sweetie. 

Spoiler

The pacing was uneven, and it descended a bit into total madness after the relative control of the first half - that feeling you get in Moffat episodes where an awful lot is being crammed into a very short space of time, and wouldn't be hurt by a couple more scenes here and there. But I liked it a lot. Found myself being really happy that Nardole has been introduced,  simply because he was providing a voice of relative lightness and comedy amidst the "without hope, without witness, without reward" drama of the Cybermen attack and the sado-masochistic tango of the Master and Missy.

Peter Capaldi acted his socks off, bless him. He was great. 

There was some lovely visual design there. The final shot of the Master curled up laughing in the receding lift was particularly memorable. Simm was genuinely appallingly nasty in his taunting of CyberBill, after pretending to be her friend for ten years. Also: "Are we really going to...?" and "Is it wrong that I...?"  (The Master's eyes move downwards). I'm a little surprised the BBC let Moffat get away with that. Glad they did though. 

The decision to alternate between showing Bill as she imagines herself, and how she is post-Cyberfication was a good one.  Her eventual escape was a bit over-easy, but as it had been set up in The Pilot and occurred in the episode in which we lost Missy, the Master, and are being set up to lose Twelve, it didn't feel too saccharine. That there would be an escape for her was signalled quite early through her tears, and so I didn't find the quite painful focus on her mental suffering too manipulative - the episode didn't seem to be compelling us to think that she would be CyberBill forever. 

When Missy said goodbye to the Doctor, I thought she pressed something into his hand. I was getting ready for <unknown device> to come into play. But apparently she just pressed his hand surprisingly hard.

I will hugely miss Michelle Gomez and her enchantingly venomous eyes. At one point, I actually thought that Moffat was going to go for it and have the Doctor's regeneration energy transferred to Missy. Wouldn't have complained. Definitely a better choice than Kris Marshall. 

I'm sure it's not the last we've seen of the Master in general though. S/he'll be back. 

The one false note, as I've heard others comment, was that Bill waited ten years for the Doctor. Okay, she had a strange kind of mental imprint of him saying "Wait for me!" but even so, ten years is an improbably large amount of time for a proactive character like Bill to tolerate. If it had just been dropped into the script that the Master was sticking some kind of drug in the tea, it could have smoothed over the characterisation issues. 

Looking forward to the Christmas special. Very happy Bradley is reprising his role as Hartnell/The Doctor. 

Been rewatching quite a few episodes from New Who recently. For all that I've complained about the tics and absurdities in Moffat's style, I will miss him. There is something so individualistic, ambitious and entertaining about the way he writes, and we're unlikely to get any hint of  that from Chibnall. After watching Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead again late last night, I switched over to Shaun the Sheep for seven minutes just so I felt safe to risk falling asleep. 

57 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Missy and The Master are abandoning the Doctor to try to escape in the Master's Tardis, but at the last minute Missy decides she wants to fight alongside the Doctor for once and stabs The Master, telling him he should live long enough to reach his Tardis and regenerate. The Master then retaliates by shooting her in the back with his sonic screwdriver, telling her that it was on a high enough setting that she wouldn't be able to regenerate. They both then laugh at the inevitability of them stabbing each other in the back.

No please no! :crying: Both Missy and 12 are gone?

9 minutes ago, dog-days said:
Spoiler

Kris Marshall

Please tell me that this isn't official.

I just saw the Twelve meeting 1 on youtube. Did 1 quoted 4?

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, dog-days said:

Spoilers, sweetie.

I forgot this wasn't officially a spoiler thread (I don't think we've tended to use spoiler boxes for previous episodes). I'll go back and edit the posts, just in case.

Just now, williamjm said:

I forgot this wasn't officially a spoiler thread (I don't think we've tended to use spoiler boxes for previous episodes). I'll go back and edit the posts, just in case.

Sorry,  I didn't mean that as a rebuke. I've just been too busy watching SM's back catalogue. The remark is meant to be about what I was writing, though in fact I only decided to use a spoiler cut because I wrote too much and it would have taken up a lot of space. 

Please tell me that this isn't official.

No, Kris Marshall was mentioned a lot a few months ago, but since then things have gone quiet on that front. I still have hope that it's not him. 

1 hour ago, The Doctor's Consort said:

According to rumors Michelle Gomez will leave along with Peter Capaldi and Steven Moffat.

Can't happen soon enough. While I love Doctor Who, these last couple of seasons have been horrible. Unwatchable, IMO. And I've loved Doctor Who since 1985.

17 minutes ago, Jiriki said:

Can't happen soon enough. While I love Doctor Who, these last couple of seasons have been horrible. Unwatchable, IMO. And I've loved Doctor Who since 1985.

For me is quite the opposite. I love Steven Moffat's work and 12 is in my top 3 Doctors.

On 6/28/2017 at 5:41 PM, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

After marathoning classic Who over the past few weeks, I can now report that I've seen every surviving episode of the 1963-1989 series. My rankings of the serials (only ranking those where at least 50% exist):

1. Genesis of the Daleks
  2. Pyramids of Mars
  3. The Mind Robber
  4. The Caves of Androzani
  5. Carnival of Monsters
  6. The Talons of Weng-Chiang
  7. The Enemy of the World
  8. City of Death
  9. The Green Death
  10. Inferno
  11. The Invasion
  12. Enlightenment
  13. Day of the Daleks
  14. The Robots of Death
  15. The Greatest Show in the Galaxy
  16. The Brain of Morbius
  17. The Aztecs
  18. The Web of Fear
  19. The Ark in Space
  20. Remembrance of the Daleks
  21. The Time Meddler
  22. The Ribos Operation
  23. Invasion of the Dinosaurs
  24. The Daemons
  25. Terror of the Zygons
  26. The Curse of Peladon
  27. The War Games
  28. The Horror of Fang Rock
  29. Planet of the Spiders
  30. Doctor Who and the Silurians
  31. The Curse of Fenric
  32. The Deadly Assassin
  33. Ghostlight
  34. Mawdryn Undead
  35. The Dalek Invasion of Earth
  36. The Time Warrior
  37. The Sunmakers
  38. Spearhead from Space
  39. The Tomb of the Cybermen
  40. An Unearthly Child (single episode)
  41. The Mutants
  42. Kinda
  43. Vengeance on Varos
  44. The Masque of Mandragora
  45. The Gunfighters
  46. Terror of the Autons
  47. Planet of Evil
  48. Resurrection of the Daleks
  49. Planet of Giants
  50. The Romans
  51. Colony in Space
  52. The Happiness Patrol
  53. The Androids of Tara
  54. Survival
  55. The Claws of Axos
  56. Snakedance
  57. The Seeds of Doom
  58. The Ambassadors of Death
  59. Planet of Fire
  60. The Crusade
  61. The Space Museum
  62. The Stones of Blood
  63. Castrovalva
  64. The Hand of Fear
  65. Ark of Infinity
  66. The Time Monster
  67. Logopolis
  68. Frontier in Space
  69. The Mind of Evil
  70. The Five Doctors
  71. The Pirate Planet
  72. State of Decay
  73. Nightmare of Eden
  74. The Sea Devils
  75. The Underwater Menace
  76. The Ark
  77. The Mark of the Rani
  78. Image of the Fendahl
  79. Earthshock
  80. Warriors Gate
  81. The Leisure Hive
  82. The Ice Warriors
  83. The Moonbase
  84. The Tenth Planet
  85. The Sontaran Experiment
  86. Frontios
  87. The Edge of Destruction
  88. Full Circle
  89. Four to Doomsday
  90. The Two Doctors
  91. Robot
  92. The Daleks
  93. The Keeper of Traken
  94. The Awakening
  95. The Power of Kroll
  96. The War Machines
  97. Revelation of the Daleks
  98. The Chase
  99. Battlefield
  100. The Three Doctors
  101. Revenge of the Cybermen
  102. Black Orchid
  103. The Visitation
  104. The Rescue
  105. 100,000 B.C.
  106. The Face of Evil
  107. The Seeds of Death
  108. Death to the Daleks
  109. The Android Invasion
  110. Terminus
  111. The Creature from the Pit
  112. The Keys of Marinus
  113. Planet of the Daleks
  114. The Invisible Enemy
  115. Meglos
  116. The Reign of Terror
  117. Paradise Towers
  118. The King's Demons
  119. The Armageddon Factor
  120. The Horns of Nimon
  121. Dragonfire
  122. Underworld
  123. The Trial of a Time Lord
  124. The Twin Dilemma
  125. The Krotons
  126. Delta and the Bannermen
  127. Warriors of the Deep
  128. The Sensorites
  129. Destiny of the Daleks
  130. Silver Nemesis
  131. Attack of the Cybermen
  132. The Web Planet
  133. The Monster of Peladon
  134. The Invasion of Time
  135. Timelash
  136. The Dominators
  137. Time-Flight
  138. Time and the Rani

Best for each Doctor:

• William Hartnell: The Aztecs
  • Patrick Troughton: The Mind Robber
  • Jon Pertwee: Carnival of Monsters
  • Tom Baker: Genesis of the Daleks
  • Peter Davison: The Caves of Androzani
  • Colin Baker: Vengeance on Varos
  • Sylvester McCoy: The Greatest Show in the Galaxy

Worst for each Doctor:

• William Hartnell: The Web Planet
  • Patrick Troughton: The Dominators
  • Jon Pertwee: The Monster of Peladon
  • Tom Baker: The Invasion of Time
  • Peter Davison: Time-Flight 
  • Colin Baker: Timelash
  • Sylvester McCoy: Time and the Rani

Great list! I mostly agree with much of it. However...

"Castrovalva" is rated too low. That was a brilliant serial.

I think Hartnell's "The Web Planet" just suffered from low production values; the script itself was pretty innovative for the time, with efforts to show alien thought patterns. It hasn't aged well, but I like the script.

I never liked McCoy's "The Greatest Show in the Galaxy", or "The War Games" (#27 on your list). War Games was tedious; it seemed like it was 50 episodes long.

11 minutes ago, john said:

So Nardole and his foundlings are just left to be eventually killed by cybermen?  Thats not on.

He says he'll figure something out: this was more 'open-ended plot we might pick up some day' than 'they're doomed'.

30 minutes ago, mormont said:

He says he'll figure something out: this was more 'open-ended plot we might pick up some day' than 'they're doomed'.

Since the Doctor has the Tardis back he could even go back and rescue them himself, although he may be a little bit distracted at the moment.

59 minutes ago, Jiriki said:

Great list! I mostly agree with much of it. However...

"Castrovalva" is rated too low. That was a brilliant serial.

I think Hartnell's "The Web Planet" just suffered from low production values; the script itself was pretty innovative for the time, with efforts to show alien thought patterns. It hasn't aged well, but I like the script.

I never liked McCoy's "The Greatest Show in the Galaxy", or "The War Games" (#27 on your list). War Games was tedious; it seemed like it was 50 episodes long.

Pleased to see that no-one objects to my relatively high placement of The Gunfighters, The Space Museum, and The Underwater Menace, which are commonly regarded as awful! Even the infamous Twin Dilemma doesn't crack my bottom ten.

Archived