Doctor who Series 10; He has been away for a while but he is back! Contains spoilers.

Jon's Queen Consort

1 hour ago, dog-days said:

An unlikely rumour says Bradley Walsh (daytime TV host) will be next companion. What would that make Kris Marshall? The next K9?

He was an actor before he was a game show host, so it's not that unlikely 

• 4 months later...

I thought the Christmas special was good. I think Moffat has often struggled a bit when he's tried to do bit fate-of-the-Universe finales or special episodes so I think it was maybe a good idea to do something a bit more focused on the characters where ultimately there's not a big threat. I thought David Bradley was great as the First Doctor, he was excellent in An Adventure in Space and Time as William Hartnell so it's good to see him getting to play The Doctor in the show itself. I particularly liked his interactions with Capaldi. Overall it had a fairly bitterwseet tone but there was enough humour in there to stop it being dour.

It's a bit difficult to judge much about Jodie Whittaker from the brief glimpse we got of her, although I think it's the right decision not to have her appear in this episode too much or she might overshadow Capaldi's farewell. I am a bit sad to see Capaldi leaving because he was great in the role, it's unfortunate that he didn't really get the scripts his performance deserved until his final season.

I totally agree that Capaldi was a great Doctor who did not get scripts worthy of his talent until the last season.  (I also think some of the difficulty in his first two seasons lay in the characterization of Clara - the writers seemed to be much fonder of her than of the Doctor, and were building her up to be as smart and funny as the Doctor, but she wasn't; and it was like the show was Clara, co-starring The Doctor; she had a great death scene and then was magically recalled to life, which felt like a cheat)  I thought Bill was an interesting, fun Companion; and would have liked to have seen more of her.  I'll also mention that I've liked the 12th Doctor's hair especially this  past season; wild and weird, but it fit him as well as the mad guitar-playing.

The Christmas special was good, one of the better ones, especially in the last half-hour - a stroke of genius and I did not see the revelation of the Captain's identity coming.  

5 hours ago, Raksha 2014 said:

The Christmas special was good, one of the better ones, especially in the last half-hour - a stroke of genius and I did not see the revelation of the Captain's identity coming.  

Really? I thought that it was fairly obvious in a not unwelcome way. Had they been teasing it the whole episode it would have been super obnoxious, but the way it was handled I very much so enjoyed.

The Christmas special was pretty good, I really liked the interplay between the two doctors, especially when it came to the casual sexism that he occasionally displays (can't remember how pervasive it was in his time as the Doctor, but still funny as a reflection of the time the show was made), kind of like a kid trying to stop their grandfather from embarrassing them. I found Capaldi's send off to be very well done, and it is in times like this we are reminded that his tenure was criminally marred by poor scripts that really didn't give him the chance to truly shine like he should have.

Excited to see where we go with the 13th Doctor, seems like she is gonna be in a bit of a scrape.

2 hours ago, The Mother of The Others said:

Capaldi forced me to take the show seriously and also watch it.   His face is easily 2000 years old.    So that brings legitimacy to a program that would otherwise have been ridiculous.

Same here, Capaldi brought be back to the show in the hope that it signaled a return to more intelligent storytelling and less 'running around after stuff'. But I soon tuned out after realising that the writing hadn't really improved. I never understood the show's obsession with the Doctors assistant over the the doctor. First it was Billie Piper.. then ..er that boring one.. then 2 whole seasons which were basically the Amy Pond show, then basically the Clara show. 

I understand that the show's dynamic lends itself to focussing on the main human character, but I've always disliked it.

I'm hoping this new doctor will bring in a new era of writing quality... but I'm doubting it tbh

I thought it was quite dull. I mean, the interactions between the Doctors were fun but apart from that there wasn't anything interesting to it. The glass people not being evil was a nice idea in theory but it made for a lack of any tension in the end and made a nonsense of them earlier trying to antagonise the Doctor with all the 'Doctor of War' stuff.

It wasn't terrible or anything, but it felt like a filler episode, not the last hurrah of Capaldi, Moffat, and I think Murray Gold. Was really hoping for one last great episode from the Moff, but sadly not.

Moffat and Gold's departure are well, well overdue (especially the latter; he was terrible from Day 1, got a bit better somewhere around Late Tennant/Early Smith and then phoned it in for the last few seasons). I am however, massively sceptical of Chibnall and I don't think he's off to a good start: blowing up the TARDIS and having the Doctor fall/almost fall out of the door towards (presumably) England is a near-perfect remake of the start of Smith's tenure.

Also, not sure why the Doctor keeps regenerating whilst the TARDIS is in flight when he knows that's a really bad idea. Although they could also be more consistent about it: 1, 5, 6, 9 and 11 all managed to regenerate inside the TARDIS without it exploding, it's really weird that 10 and 12 did it and caused everything to start bursting into flames. Why?

1 minute ago, Werthead said:

(especially the latter; he was terrible from Day 1, got a bit better somewhere around Late Tennant/Early Smith and then phoned it in for the last few seasons).

Man, I couldn't disagree more, I think he's been brilliant.

On the exploding regenerations: well, to be fair, 11 regenerated with a massive nonsensical explosion that blew up a whole Dalek fleet, he then just held back the new face for a few minutes coz reasons.
I did think when 10 regenerated like that it was meant to be because he'd been holding it back too, but while that makes sense for this one, it doesn't now make sense for 1 not to do the same thing.

4 minutes ago, Arataniello said:

Mawkish sentimentality, as have been most recent regeneration episodes - requiring some mechanic that allows all the companions to come back and every one gets to say "Awwwwwwww".

It's a shame, because his standalones were so good and his run started off so promisingly, but by the end one of the most defining aspects of Moffat's era has proved to be wanky indulgence and this is definitely one of the ways in which it's manifested. I dunno if he felt that coz Ten did it he could carry on, but Ten's made sense coz he did it on purpose whereas both of Moff's Doctors had moments of closure with figments of his imagination pretending to be companions that he'd written off the show in nonsensical ways in the first place.

10 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

The Christmas special was pretty good, I really liked the interplay between the two doctors, especially when it came to the casual sexism that he occasionally displays (can't remember how pervasive it was in his time as the Doctor

This episode wildly exaggerated/concentrated it. Eg the smacked bottom line was a quote from an early episode, but it was originally directed at his granddaughter after she got them trapped in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, not a random woman he's barely met using mildly offensive language without knowing he's listening. I wish they'd written him as authentically as possible rather than made him a caricature, since having a new actor playing the role is quite enough of a strain on suspension of disbelief.

I did like the episode, and the humour worked. Stakes were never too high, since the biggest issue raised was always 'will they or won't they regenerate'. Which we of course always have known the answer to.

I am mostly ok with the glass remembrance people. But they do give an elegant way to have former companions come in without revealing anything about their history after we've last seen them.

And the name of the Captain was no surprise to me, I expected it from the first trailer I saw.

11 hours ago, The Mother of The Others said:

Glass memory person of Missy?

That assumes Missy really died (or one of the future incarnations of the Master did). Which given the history of the character seems very unlikely.

• 6 months later...

Archived