Doctor who Series 10; He has been away for a while but he is back! Contains spoilers.

Jon's Queen Consort

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That would be wrong.

It's an ok season arc idea. The worrying thing would be establishing the doctor can move through space and time without the TARDIS. Maybe the set up will be that they can follow the TARDIS to its current/previous location and will get closer with each jump? 

It would also be fun if the TARDIS was in every episode but was simply blending in once more. Maybe it was in the final scene last week?

3 hours ago, red snow said:

It's an ok season arc idea. The worrying thing would be establishing the doctor can move through space and time without the TARDIS. Maybe the set up will be that they can follow the TARDIS to its current/previous location and will get closer with each jump? 

It would also be fun if the TARDIS was in every episode but was simply blending in once more. Maybe it was in the final scene last week?

Dr. Who without the Tardis (long term) would be wrong... but hey, we could have “Dinosaurs in a Spaceship”.

24 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Dr. Who without the Tardis (long term) would be wrong... but hey, we could have “Dinosaurs in a Spaceship”.

Like ghost rider without his bike. Or knight rider without kit.

5 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I don't think anyone in their right minds would do it long term but doing it for a few episodes is a nice idea I think. We've had Tardis-less episodes, but since there are also lots of episodes where the Doctor doesn't do anything with it except for show up and leave, they're not mostly hugely practically different to how it normally goes. Having her out of her comfort zone for a bit longer by forcing her to use cheap-and-cheerful travel Jack Harkness style could be interesting. As long as it appears before the season end, I'm cool.

10 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I don't think anyone in their right minds would do it long term but doing it for a few episodes is a nice idea I think. We've had Tardis-less episodes, but since there are also lots of episodes where the Doctor doesn't do anything with it except for show up and leave, they're not mostly hugely practically different to how it normally goes. Having her out of her comfort zone for a bit longer by forcing her to use cheap-and-cheerful travel Jack Harkness style could be interesting. As long as it appears before the season end, I'm cool.

I actually really enjoy episodes that explore the Tardis.

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I actually really enjoy episodes that explore the Tardis.

So do I (and I wish Journey to the Center of the Tardis had been better/more imaginative with the concept and would quite like someone to have another go round). I just won't be devastated if we don't get one this season.

On 10/9/2018 at 5:12 AM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That would be wrong.

Haha. Between Seasons 7 and 10 of the original series - that's three seasons and the start of a fourth - the TARDIS was immobilised on Earth and the Doctor couldn't travel at all (apart from a couple of exceptions when either an alien time travel device showed up or the Time Lords sent the Doctor on a one-off mission) and had to get a job as UNIT's scientific advisor. Fortunately this coincided with a bizarrely large number of alien races trying to invade the south-east of England, so it worked out.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Haha. Between Seasons 7 and 10 of the original series - that's three seasons and the start of a fourth - the TARDIS was immobilised on Earth and the Doctor couldn't travel at all (apart from a couple of exceptions when either an alien time travel device showed up or the Time Lords sent the Doctor on a one-off mission) and had to get a job as UNIT's scientific advisor. Fortunately this coincided with a bizarrely large number of alien races trying to invade the south-east of England, so it worked out.

I'm aware of the third Doctor's tenure as the local "Alien Austin Powers".  :)

I thought the second episode was good. I thought it did a good job of showing The Doctor and her companions starting to become a team, even if I wonder why they will still want to travel with her after their first experience of an alien planet being this one. The companions did show a fair bit of resourcefullnes, even if Ryan and Graeme seem to have attended the Prometheus School of running away from crashing spaceships.  I did figure out what the "Ghost Monument" was going to be about a minute before they revealed it, but it's good to finally get to see the new Tardis which does seem to have had quite a major redesign.

There was another significant mention of Tim Shaw's alien race, so I wonder if they're going to be a recurring villain this season?

Odd choice for a premiere ep, felt more like it should have been the 4th episode of the season.   Are Bill and her deific lesbian space entity just not part of this new run, or will they pop up again.   I wrongly assumed they'd carry over and play a direct role in catching the doctor's fall.  And nobody here is Jenna Coleman anymore, plus no crazy Capaldi rants, so viewing is now optional?

The new Tardis looks cracking. Liking the music too. And the CG, while so far not used to a huge extent, seems a step up too.

As is the cinematography. First time in new-who history that I'm actually noticing it in and of itself in a good way with the exception of the Dalek episode that Ben Wheately directed. Both the pretty landscape shots and the general use of the camera to create mood and tension.

Chibnall seems to have lied when he said there isn't an arc. Two mentions of the Stenza in two episodes, it'd be weird if they were then never heard of again.

The Timeless Child sounds like Clara tbqh.

eta: the next episode is about Rosa Parks. That's a bold choice. Careful handling needed, that could go wrong bigstyle.

26 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

The new Tardis looks cracking. Liking the music too. And the CG, while so far not used to a huge extent, seems a step up too.

As is the cinematography. First time in new-who history that I'm actually noticing it in and of itself in a good way with the exception of the Dalek episode that Ben Wheately directed. Both the pretty landscape shots and the general use of the camera to create mood and tension.

Chibnall seems to have lied when he said there isn't an arc. Two mentions of the Stenza in two episodes, it'd be weird if they were then never heard of again.

The Timeless Child sounds like Clara tbqh.

Yeah, Timeless Child + the Stenza did seem to be pointing emphatically towards some kind of arc. Perhaps Chibnall's going to hold back on them though, and keep the individual episodes fairly self-contained, just with a bit of name-dropping here and there. 

I liked this episode more than the first one. Largely because of the cinematography + Art Malik. Love the actor, and have done since watching Jewel in the Crown. Odd to see him with hair again!  

I'm accepting Ryan for now because I expect he will have an arc - a character arc. At the moment he comes across as a bit whingy and thick, but I expect that could change as he gets more self-confident and works out what his strengths are as opposed to his weaknesses. Still not really sure it's a great ideal to have three companions. There isn't much time for development - it's as if the Doctor's travelling round with a herd of sheep most of the time. Thought the two competitors in this episode seemed more entertaining than the actual companions. I half wish that the race would be used to tie this series together - we could have another episode or two showing different parts of this or past/future races. 

Quite liked the concept/outline of this episode, though the dialogue and direction did feel luke-warm most of the time. 

Laughed my head off at the Honest Trailers. Thanks, williamjm.

3 minutes ago, dog-days said:

At the moment he comes across as a bit whingy and thick, but I expect that could change as he gets more self-confident and works out what his strengths are as opposed to his weaknesses.

Oh my days I'm so glad there's a dyspraxic main character and I hope his arc deals with why- and forgive me for my slightly aggressive phrasing here because I'm assuming you're not super-familiar with the condition so you're not doing this on purpose or anything, but I get essentially this kind of comment all the time and it drives me up the wall- this sort of thinking is such bullshit.

To clarify: you're not wrong that I hope he also shows his confident side and strengths. But the nature of dyspraxia in my experience (and it seems really clear to me that they've got someone with lived experience on staff) means that you pretty much have to be aware of your weaknesses, at least those to do directly with it, and articulating them out loud/reasoning out what you can't do isn't whinging, it's sometimes just necessary.

Heck, I had an example just today when I was helping read/prepare the altar at church and the priest wondered why I took a certain thing up in advance instead of carrying it in at the mass opening, and I was going to mention that it's the same reason I never want to do the eucharistic ministry chalice thing but I didn't and twenty minutes later he asked me to do exactly that in a moment where I couldn't really explain why I didn't want to. So yeah, that particular comment did catch me on a particularly inconvenient day perhaps. :P Sorry.

And I also tend to think that irl I come off at first glance as dopier than I really am (though I doubt anyone would describe me as thick) and though it shouldn't derail episodes to go into the whys of why dyspraxia can cause that, I hope it somewhat deals with that side too.

7 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I think you're overpersonalising this a lot. Let me reiterate: I find him whingy and thick, and about as prepossessing as a doorknob without the decorative fiddly bits. Nothing to do with his dyspraxia. It's his personality as it's been revealed to us so far that's the problem. He's a 20 something who's being written like a teen. The other companions have similar issues so far with extremely limited reactions for which, as I've said before, I largely blame the fact that there's too many of them, so not enough time to spend on giving each a voice. Thus reactions to being on an alien planet are pretty much gawping and going "coo!" But again, as I've said, I hope he's allowed to develop. 

2 hours ago, dog-days said:

I think you're overpersonalising this a lot. Let me reiterate: I find him whingy and thick, and about as prepossessing as a doorknob without the decorative fiddly bits. Nothing to do with his dyspraxia.

But I think polish's point is, are you confident that you know enough about dyspraxia to make that last statement?

Archived