Rogue One....Brings a New Hope. Full Spoiler Discussion

Suzanna Stormborn

Why did they close the old thread?

Some guy posted that TIE fighters were cheap and mass produced (which I agree with, Russians used MIGs for decades and sold then to satellite countries even though there were much better fighter jet and fighter jet designs out there) and they shut it down.

Who knew calling TIE fighters cheap and mass produced was a controversial opinion? 

Russian planes weren't much, if at all, worse than American planes until around the 1980's when the West really pulled ahead in computing technology.

But the US is the larger and richer country, so it can afford more expensive and sophisticated equipment. I don't see how this digression is relevant to Empire v. Rebels, where it's the richer, larger organization that springs for the cheaper stuff.

My main problem with the space-battles was that the capital ships were seemingly only there to be target practice for fighters. I guess that after ROTS, they thought that having capital ships shooting at each other would be too cluttered visually?

Completely different reaction to Princess Leia's cameo last night than during the first viewing :(

I caught another shot of the Ghost during the battle over Scarif I had not noticed previously.

As enjoyable as the first viewing.

2 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Completely different reaction to Princess Leia's cameo last night than during the first viewing :(

I caught another shot of the Ghost during the battle over Scarif I had not noticed previously.

As enjoyable as the first viewing.

That scene keeps popping on youtube, and of course it keeps getting taken down. Last night I looked for it, but this time not for badass Vader, but for that final shot of Leia and her one word line. :(

1 minute ago, Corvinus said:

That scene keeps popping on youtube, and of course it keeps getting taken down. Last night I looked for it, but this time not for badass Vader, but for that final shot of Leia and her one word line. :(

yeah :( But think of how intensely sad it will be next summer when Episode VIII comes out.  she had already filmed the whole thing.  My guess is that they had Leia die in the movie.

1 minute ago, Corvinus said:

Is the quality of the clip of the Leia scene any better than Vader clip? It looked like someone brought their camcorder to the theatre for that Vader clip.

1 minute ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

yeah :( But think of how intensely sad it will be next summer when Episode VIII comes out.  she had already filmed the whole thing.  My guess is that they had Leia die in the movie.

Articles I read said that she was supposed to be in IX as well. So there wasn't a plan to kill her off in VIII, but who knows what they will do now. Not to sound callous, but this CGI facial tech that ILM developed just might have come at the right time.

Just now, Astromech said:

Is the quality of the clip of the Leia scene any better than Vader clip? It looked like someone brought their camcorder to the theatre for that Vader clip.

No, it's the same.

Just now, Corvinus said:

Articles I read said that she was supposed to be in IX as well. So there wasn't a plan to kill her off in VIII, but who knows what they will do now. Not to sound callous, but this CGI facial tech that ILM developed just might have come at the right time.

Oh wow, I assumed Han would die in VII, Leia in VIII and Luke in IX. This is all too much to deal with.:unsure:

1 minute ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

Apparently, not. I just read an article earlier today stating she was to be in all three films. http://variety.com/2016/film/news/carrie-fisher-dead-death-star-wars-viii-8-1201948826/

6 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

No, it's the same.

It worked for Tarkin but didn't for Leia, imo. I could only wonder if the natural features of each actor plays a part in that result, i.e. Cushing's angular, skeletal features may hide the flaws in the tech, while Fisher's rounded, smooth facial features may not. I can only guess being entirely ignorant of the tech.

13 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Even though Carrie wrapped her scenes for Episode VIII, I wonder if her passing will alter that film in any way.

Considering that more than likely there will be re-shoots, it could if any of the re-shoots are to affect her role.

44 minutes ago, generalzod said:

k. 

Not to belabor it, but why 21? 

On the old board threads would start eating up more memory on the server once they went over 20 pages, so it was deemed better to start a new thread at that point.

That was fricking ages ago though. I'm not sure it's really necessary any more. It might be just tradition at this point :)

3 minutes ago, Werthead said:

On the old board threads would start eating up more memory on the server once they went over 20 pages, so it was deemed better to start a new thread at that point.

That was fricking ages ago though. I'm not sure it's really necessary any more. It might be just tradition at this point :)

After 21, a thread starts hurtling towards alcoholism. :P

19 minutes ago, Astromech said:

It worked for Tarkin but didn't for Leia, imo. I could only wonder if the natural features of each actor plays a part in that result, i.e. Cushing's angular, skeletal features may hide the flaws in the tech, while Fisher's rounded, smooth facial features may not. I can only guess being entirely ignorant of the tech.

Well since they were using old film to do both Tarkin and Leia for Rogue, you would think that they now have fresh digital footage of Leia that they could do her now even better. Odds are they change their plans and kill her at end of 8 or beginning of 9

She deserves to go out on screen, not some scene where her ship is destroyed.

2 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Well since they were using old film to do both Tarkin and Leia for Rogue, you would think that they now have fresh digital footage of Leia that they could do her now even better. Odds are they change their plans and kill her at end of 8 or beginning of 9

This has never happened before in cinematic history has it?

5 minutes ago, dbunting said:

They could always go the Obi-Wan route. No additional footage needed there.

7 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

After 21, a thread starts hurtling towards alcoholism. :P

21 is the path to the dark side. 21 leads to 22. 22 leads to 23. 23 leads to 24... 24... leads to the dark five... :P 

Archived