Can you recommend me some books?

Camila Sofia

16 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Isn't Under Heaven part of a series?

There is River of Stars in the same setting but that is set about 500 years later so it's only very loosely part of a series.

Lois McMaster Bujold's fantasy novels The Curse of Chalion and The Paladin of Souls would also be a good option, I think she does some excellent characterisation and good world-building (even if it isn't as detailed as GRRM's world).

Have you read Stanak?  It's got everything you want from GRRM and a little bit more to boot. 

Goodkind is also a great read.  It's not something that you'll be able to get into right out the gate.  It's a very deep, emotional, and philosophical work. Think Gene Wolfe meets Cormac Mcarthy.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  

I would recommend:

Robert E. Howards Conan The Barbarian Saga

Tad Williams-Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn (Trilogy)

Jack Vance-The Dying Earth (Series) and his Lyonesse (Trilogy)

Joe Abercrombie-The First Law (Trilogy)

Mark Lawrence-The Broken Empire (Trilogy) and his The Red Queen´s War (Trilogy)

S.L Farrel-Book 1 to 3 of the Nessantio Cycle (Trilogy)

And Non-Fantasy: Maurice Druon-The Accursed Kings (Saga)

On 1/1/2017 at 6:18 AM, Thorin Lannister of Arda said:

And Non-Fantasy: Maurice Druon-The Accursed Kings (Saga)

I found this series to be so disturbing with it's violence and torture I couldn't finish it.

On 12/28/2016 at 1:52 PM, MisterOJ said:

Is it about time to start newer general rec threads? The ones linked in the pinned thread have been archived for over a couple of years now.

I agree with this.  The old threads... are old.

The Dresden Files, but the first couple of books are iffy
Mark Lawrence's The Broken Empire and The Red Queen Trilogy if you don't mind dark AND snarky
The Gentleman Bastard series by Scott Lynch

Anything by C.T. Phipps *whistles* (ahem)

Joe Abercombie is a wonderful author if you want to be horribly depressed.

I can recommend the below:

Elizabeth Moon - The Deed of Paksenarion

Roger Zelazny - both the Corwin and Merlin Amber series

Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, of course

Ursula LeGuin - both the 1970s and 2000s Earthsea books

Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow and Thorn (and the new Last King of Osten Ard books)

On 30/12/2016 at 5:03 PM, End of Disc One said:

People are probably going easy on the TC because she's a young girl, honestly.

I think people are going easy on the TC because she asked a reasonable question politely, and was nice about it when people pointed out the rec threads (even though, as pointed out, they are kind of wack these days), rather than steaming in all 'OH MY GOSH GRRM IS THE BEST EVER I'LL NEVER FIND ANYTHING AS GOOD BUT I DEMAND YOU TELL ME WHAT'S NEARLY AS GOOD' and then responding to redirection with 'no this one is totally different coz no-one's ever asked for my very specific request before' like a lot of these threads are.

4 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I think people are going easy on the TC because she asked a reasonable question politely, and was nice about it when people pointed out the rec threads (even though, as pointed out, they are kind of wack these days), rather than steaming in all 'OH MY GOSH GRRM IS THE BEST EVER I'LL NEVER FIND ANYTHING AS GOOD BUT I DEMAND YOU TELL ME WHAT'S NEARLY AS GOOD' and then responding to redirection with 'no this one is totally different coz no-one's ever asked for my very specific request before' like a lot of these threads are.

That, or because I hardly post on here anymore.  

That, or the board is pretty much a neutered, dumbed down, sanitized version of what it was. 

That, or they've banned/warned/punished all 'folks of snark' into submission. 

That, or the Floob has truly taken over. 

Or maybe you're right.  She was nice when she asked.  That counts for something. 

• 7 months later...

Archived