Vikings XI: Aelle's Anaconda don't want none unless you got buns hun [SPOILERS]

Veltigar

Season 3 still had some very good scenes. I loved the scene with Syggi's reunion with her daughter Thyri after she died saving the get of Ragnar from drowning. Unfortunately that scene also reminds me of what could have been had they died and Harbard. Also loved Floki taking out Athelstan and the shit storm that created between him and Ragnar. Ragnar's private funeral ceremony and final words for Athelstan was another great scene.

Unfortunately season 3 was also where it was getting clear Hirst was pulling a Tudors with Vikings. All that was missing was Jonathan Rhy Meyers. ;)  The Wanderer side story, 50 Shades of Odo and the rest of the Francia ark.

And season 4 it was obvious Hirst went full Hirst with Yidu getting Ragnar addicted to drugs. The hagiography of Athelstan. Astrid and Lagertha Erlendur.

2 hours ago, Astromech said:

Season 3 still had some very good scenes. I loved the scene with Syggi's reunion with her daughter Thyri after she died saving the get of Ragnar from drowning. Unfortunately that scene also reminds me of what could have been had they died and Harbard. Also loved Floki taking out Athelstan and the shit storm that created between him and Ragnar. Ragnar's private funeral ceremony and final words for Athelstan was another great scene.

Unfortunately season 3 was also where it was getting clear Hirst was pulling a Tudors with Vikings. All that was missing was Jonathan Rhy Meyers. ;)  The Wanderer side story, 50 Shades of Odo and the rest of the Francia ark.

And season 4 it was obvious Hirst went full Hirst with Yidu getting Ragnar addicted to drugs. The hagiography of Athelstan. Astrid and Lagertha Erlendur.

Agree that all the shit stuff you mention above are indeed very shit. But I just pushed through that to get to the good bits. Easier when you are binge watching an entire series in one month, I guess.

10 hours ago, Astromech said:

I was still very forgiving of season 3. Harbard was terrible obviously but I was largely still happy with it. I was both enraged and saddened when siggy died :( Was season 3 the one with Bjorn's shield maiden wife who vanished?

Ha, the Frnakish 'characters' :rofl: the incest twins! The total bullshit with the King

4 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I was still very forgiving of season 3. Harbard was terrible obviously but I was largely still happy with it. I was both enraged and saddened when siggy died :( Was season 3 the one with Bjorn's shield maiden wife who vanished?

Ha, the Frnakish 'characters' :rofl: the incest twins! The total bullshit with the King

Haha, yes Porunn, who gave birth to his daughter Siggy. It was after Porunn's injury and brutal facial scar that he slept with Torvi and Porunn just rode off into the sunset. It still pisses me off what happened to little Siggy and the fact nobody on the show gave a shit. Her death was season 4.

8 hours ago, Astromech said:

Haha, yes Porunn, who gave birth to his daughter Siggy. It was after Porunn's injury and brutal facial scar that he slept with Torvi and Porunn just rode off into the sunset. It still pisses me off what happened to little Siggy and the fact nobody on the show gave a shit. Her death was season 4.

What gets me is the utter lack of long term commitment to wives and children by the Viking men. This despite them supposedly being “very family focused”.

Floki being one of the few exceptions, with his lifelong devotion to Helga.

But starting with Ragnar’s betrayal of Lagertha, we then have Bjorn - who himself experienced first hand the trauma of a dad who betrayed his mom - going on to do the same, multiple times.

As do Ragnar’s other sons. I find it reduces the likeability of the characters a lot.

Poor little Siggy was neglected by everyone on the show and it seemed to be completely pointless. There could have been an interesting story and/or important character development with her death, but Hirst often introduces characters and storylines that he often seems to ignore or grow bored of after their introduction.

On the other hand, Ragnar's betrayal of Lagertha was a key plot point in the series and his motivations were clear. But this was also when the show was much better, when it was focused on Ragnar.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 3:16 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

E Gads, I had forgotten all about Bjorn and the Bear :rofl:

Bjorn and the bear was where I got out of dodge. That and getting high with Asian princesses. I'm guessing the proposed spin-off will cover Greenland and the settling of America? Hirst said he wanted to cover that a few times, Maybe he has? He wouldn't let a few centuries stand in the way of a story. Given little is known about Greenland and even less about vinland/America it would be a perfect opportunity for Hirst to make shit up. And battles with skraelings would be fun - heck they could call a spin-off "skraelings". Mix it up with "what happened to the colonies" and there's a few series of fun. As long as they don't try and outcrazy Valhalla rising

1 hour ago, red snow said:

Bjorn and the bear was where I got out of dodge. That and getting high with Asian princesses. I'm guessing the proposed spin-off will cover Greenland and the settling of America? Hirst said he wanted to cover that a few times, Maybe he has? He wouldn't let a few centuries stand in the way of a story. Given little is known about Greenland and even less about vinland/America it would be a perfect opportunity for Hirst to make shit up. And battles with skraelings would be fun - heck they could call a spin-off "skraelings". Mix it up with "what happened to the colonies" and there's a few series of fun. As long as they don't try and outcrazy Valhalla rising

Perhaps that is the reason why Hirst is continuing with Floki's arc in Iceland. Establishing an early foundation in Iceland creates a nice transition to an eventual coverage of the exploration of North America.

I've kept this show in our rotation, even though it's gone down hill... I'm not inclined to bail on shows once I've invested ... But I think that the History Channel had their first big scripted drama  "hit", and rather than let it end, they are milking it for all that its worth. ... Knightfall is abysmal....lol... and I guess we'll see how project Blue Book does

I'm actually looking forward to Project Blue Book. Call me a sucker but I often look forward to new History premieres in spite of the channel's track record. The only channel that disappoints me more is SYFY, but that is due to SYFY's canceling good programs.

1 hour ago, Astromech said:

I'm actually looking forward to Project Blue Book. Call me a sucker but I often look forward to new History premieres in spite of the channel's track record. The only channel that disappoints me more is SYFY, but that is due to SYFY's canceling good programs.

Holy shit, I didn't know about that show. To be honest, having given up on Vikings, and Knightfall being garbage, I gave up on the History channel. I hope PBK is good, and that Aidan Gillen keeps it to one accent. :P

9 hours ago, Astromech said:

The Expanse? And hey at least you got Season 3. The stupid international distribution means I am still waiting...

7 hours ago, Astromech said:

Chaos is a ladder :)

You mean Chaosh Ish a Ladduh

10 hours ago, Astromech said:

Perhaps that is the reason why Hirst is continuing with Floki's arc in Iceland. Establishing an early foundation in Iceland creates a nice transition to an eventual coverage of the exploration of North America.

That's sensible set up and, as you say, Iceland is essential as a stepping stone to greenland then vinland. One of the theories i read was that thr links were simply stretched too thin beyond Iceland. And for a long time Iceland was at the mercy of the rest of Scandinavia and british isles for wood.

Vikings season 4+ is on my 'flu list"

4 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

The Expanse? And hey at least you got Season 3. The stupid international distribution means I am still waiting...

You mean Chaosh Ish a Ladduh

One of several SYFY has pulled the plug on. Yeah, I'm in the same boat regarding s3 of Gomorrah.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

That's sensible set up and, as you say, Iceland is essential as a stepping stone to greenland then vinland. One of the theories i read was that thr links were simply stretched too thin beyond Iceland. And for a long time Iceland was at the mercy of the rest of Scandinavia and british isles for wood.

Vikings season 4+ is on my 'flu list"

Hmm, interesting theory. I've read that Iceland was actually forested before the Scandinavians arrived and wreaked havoc on the fragile ecosystem,  much of the blame attributed to domesticated animals grazing and foraging.

16 hours ago, red snow said:

I'm convinced that Vikings will probably end with the discovery of North America. With the current state of the show the spin-off will probably just be Saxons or some other awful shit like that.

3 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

I'm convinced that Vikings will probably end with the discovery of North America. With the current state of the show the spin-off will probably just be Saxons or some other awful shit like that.

Isn't that "the last kingdom"

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Or, considering Hirst's love for Saxons and Franks, we'll jump to the Norman conquest of England.

This doesn't get covered in film/tv that often. Rather it wasn't hirst doing it though.

5 hours ago, Astromech said:

One of several SYFY has pulled the plug on. Yeah, I'm in the same boat regarding s3 of Gomorrah.

Hmm, interesting theory. I've read that Iceland was actually forested before the Scandinavians arrived and wreaked havoc on the fragile ecosystem,  much of the blame attributed to domesticated animals grazing and foraging.

I think it was Jared Diamond's "collapse" where he went over how greenland failed suggesting it was partly refusal to imitate inuit adaptation techniques. Although I'm always cautious with Jared's blending of theory with evidence this was by far the easiest of his books to swallow. In iceland, livestock, assuming trees would grow back faster, and failed attempts to get imported tree species to survive were all factors. When i visited Iceland the local joke was "what to you do if you get lost in an Icelandic forest? Stand up" so it's something that's still an issue. But they have geothermal so not all bad.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Yeah, I'm not too excited about Hirst doing a possible Norman conquest show. Or any other historical show really.

I think hirst should team up with kurt sutter. It would be so amazingly silly/awful that it would shatter all concepts of good and bad and we'd bow to its awesomeness. I suspect the world of TV try and keep both creators apart out of some "Don't cross the beams" superstition. I'd watch it.

Archived