Vikings XI: Aelle's Anaconda don't want none unless you got buns hun [SPOILERS]

Veltigar

No longer watching but I can’t help reading about the ongoing train wreck. My recollection of S1 Rollo definitely had eyes for Lagertha no question, but there was no suggestion the feeling was reciprocated or that anything happened between them in the past.

eta: I remember having the feeling through S1 that Rollo was going to try rape Lagertha at some point  because of the unrequited desire vibe actually

7 hours ago, dbunting said:

Yeah they clearly showed him "longing" for her and I expected that to be why they would fight each other.

But now he longed for her out of nostalgia? Odd that he never mentioned this relevant past in those scenes in the first season.

19 minutes ago, red snow said:

But now he longed for her out of nostalgia? Odd that he never mentioned this relevant past in those scenes in the first season.

Summed up easily....lazy crappy writing. I mean if he was wanting to be with his son then why the hell would he side with his sons enemy, which was likely to lead to his death in the battle?????

8 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

No longer watching but I can’t help reading about the ongoing train wreck. My recollection of S1 Rollo definitely had eyes for Lagertha no question, but there was no suggestion the feeling was reciprocated or that anything happened between them in the past.

eta: I remember having the feeling through S1 that Rollo was going to try rape Lagertha at some point  because of the unrequited desire vibe actually

One scene of Rollo trying to force Lagertha into something she refused was then rapidly juxtoposed with Rollo raping a servant or slave girl -- who would prefer, it was made clear, to refuse, and whose face was one of suffering as he humped her from behind.   If I recall accurately (it's been a long time since I watched this) he also began with hitting the girl.

This is a big reason -- his rapist character -- that I could never find him someone to pull for in later seasons.  Just the first of Hirst's many for no reasons abrupt changes of character that he pulled throughout and why so many of us began despising the show, and then stopped watching.  I.e., yet again, TERRIBLE WRITING.

It's odd how many people in television don't seem to understand that it's not enough to have a single scene be dramatic, but that the scenes have to cohere with scenes from past and future, and to have narrative sense over the entire stretch. GOT is huge with this lack of writing comprehension, just like Vikings.

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:25 AM, GallowKnight said:

So let's get into it.

- Torvi sucks!

- Wessex sucks even more. As much as I dislike Torvi, I'd take way more of her if it would men less Wessex courtly bullshit.

- Little known historical fact: During the Viking Age, women apparently did not age.

- Alexander Ludwig's Travis Fimmel imitation has reached parodical levels.

- Hey, Hvitserk actually has lines this episode.

- I have seen cats and dogs with more chemistry than Lagertha and Battle Bishop.

- There is Game of Thrones levels of teleportation in this episode. Lagertha & co. go from a ruined farm, on foot, to Haraldtown, which always seemed to be quite a bit away, steal a ship and then they are in England.

- Seriously, how is Harald Finehair the most interesting character on this show?

- Iceland isn't even worth mentioning.

- Ivar is tiresome

- Aaand of course Rollo is Bjorn's real father. As if Michael Hirst couldn't be more of a hack than he already is.

Haha, I had almost the exact same reactions as you.

Bjorn's Ragnar impression is terrible and the worst of the bunch.

We said it before, but they definitely killed off the wrong Hirst daughter.

I had high hopes for Ivar when he was a child. What a disappointment he grew up to be. I chuckle every time I see him in that stupid chariot.

Was I the only who thought Lagertha looks a bit too much like Danaerys now with the white hair. Mother of Ragnarsons and Rolloson?

Wait when did the Bishop become celibate? Wasn't he doing his best Henry VIII ( ;) ) imitation when we were first introduced to him?

At least the scenery is still nice to look at. Iceland is gorgeous and Floki should have stayed there alone instead of recruiting the Hatfields and McCoys as his first settlers.

TLDR: Welcome back Vikings, welcome back!

When I watch a show called Vikings, do you know what I am really interested in watching and what I really want to see? The intrigues and courtly life of Wessex and the Saxons.

Is there anyone who actually gave the remotest fuck about the conflict between Battle Bishop and that other Bishop who we haven't meet before? Was there any reason to actually care? 

So, what happened to the Bishop's vow of celibacy he was so adamant about last week? I suppose that's the least of his eternal worries after butchering the new bishop on the altar.

Bjorn stalking Alfred's future bride was actually comical. Looks like we conceived two bastards this episode. Skol!!!!

11 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

:rofl: has she led her sister suffragettes through the wilds of Wessex yet? :rofl:

Haha, no. She seems to be some sort of weird attempt at an Agrippina-like character positioning her children for power. Which is strange considering she wanted Alfredstan to be king, but now seems to be supporting Aethelred? I have no idea really what Hirst is going for with her character. Color me shocked Hirst's characterization is inconsistent. However, she's still consistently bad. Sarah Greene was wise to leave that role for , er, greener pastures.

8 hours ago, Astromech said:

Haha, no. She seems to be some sort of weird attempt at an Agrippina-like character positioning her children for power. Which is strange considering she wanted Alfredstan to be king, but now seems to be supporting Aethelred? I have no idea really what Hirst is going for with her character. Color me shocked Hirst's characterization is inconsistent. However, she's still consistently bad. Sarah Greene was wise to leave that role for , er, greener pastures.

Oh so that’s where the timeline is at now? Guessing it compares even more poorly with LK then now they are more or less caught up.

Ha, somehow I always forget Sarah Greene was originally Judith.

9 hours ago, Astromech said:

It doesn't help that age-wise she looks more like Alfred's big sister than mother.

37 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Oh so that’s where the timeline is at now? Guessing it compares even more poorly with LK then now they are more or less caught up.

Ha, somehow I always forget Sarah Greene was originally Judith.

Just wait until you find out about what they did with Aelswith.

4 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Should I even dare to check out the new episodes or is it as bad as it was? 

If you go in knowing it isn't Emmy-caliber television, you shouldn't be too disappointed. It's worth the laughs and eye rolls.

10 hours ago, Astromech said:

If you go in knowing it isn't Emmy-caliber television, you shouldn't be too disappointed. It's worth the laughs and eye rolls.

10 hours ago, Nictarion said:

It’s awful. I only put it on in the background while doing other things at this point. 

Thank you guys, now I know what to do. :D Seriously though, I'll give it a try as a background noise and try to get past the cringy details.  We'll see how it goes. I watched quite a few movies and shows as background noise this autumn anyway, it can't be worse than a lot of other things. 

Archived