Vikings XI: Aelle's Anaconda don't want none unless you got buns hun [SPOILERS]

Veltigar

31 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

What I still don't understand is this: wasn't Harald in universe supposed to be in love with Aslaug? Wasn't that how his character was introduced as sort of a former lover? 

Rhys-Myers is set to appear next week. Either he's Alfred after a timejump or he's the character taking over the defense of the Kingdom for a while. Ecbert is done as a military leader. 

That was my read when Harald and Halfdan were first introduced. Until we finally saw Ellisif this season, I thought he was still after Aslaug.

Maybe Rhys-Myers is coming back to reprise his role from The Tudors. Maybe we'll see Henry Cavill too before this is all over. :)

6 hours ago, Veltigar said:

She did unfortunately. I was so happy when she appeared to be death. I couldn't believe she blinked first, but after rewinding it there is no mistake possible. Hirst wants to keep sending out paychecks to his undeserving brood. 

Well, at least they're really working. Not to mirror some politician in France who also happens to be the favourite presidential candidate.

7 hours ago, Veltigar said:

A shame really, because otherwise the Finehair bro's were great in this episode. I don't understand why he didn't just axe blondies husband last week, but I can live with how it turned out. I feel like Halfdan is a much better actor than his role really requires. His dialogue with Harald and his line when he killed you know who made me wish he got a bigger chance to shine.

I think both Jasper Pääkkönen and Peter Franzen is better actors than the material require. Which is why I think it suck shame that they haven't done more with the characters.

7 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Rhys-Myers is set to appear next week. Either he's Alfred after a timejump or he's the character taking over the defense of the Kingdom for a while. Ecbert is done as a military leader.

From what I understand

Spoiler

Jonathan Rhys-Myers is supposed to portray some kind of warrior bishop that is loosely based on a real historical person. I believe that they have another actor in line for Alfred.

11 hours ago, Astromech said:

That was my read when Harald and Halfdan were first introduced. Until we finally saw Ellisif this season, I thought he was still after Aslaug.

I think the Aslaug angle would have been much more interesting, but Hirst doesn't care about writing somethig interesting :)

5 hours ago, Pliskin said:

Well, at least they're really working. Not to mirror some politician in France who also happens to be the favourite presidential candidate.

Hey, imo they are both bad just for different reasons. Stealing money from the state means Fillon has bad morals, but paying someone who is clearly incompetent means Hirst isn't very intelligent (and of course, since she's his daughter there is also that nice sheen of nepotism :( ) 

3 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

I think both Jasper Pääkkönen and Peter Franzen is better actors than the material require. Which is why I think it suck shame that they haven't done more with the characters.

From what I understand

Reveal hidden contents

Jonathan Rhys-Myers is supposed to portray some kind of warrior bishop that is loosely based on a real historical person. I believe that they have another actor in line for Alfred.

Oh yeah, you're right I just read an article about that online :) hopefully that means he won't stick around for very long. 

Thanks Astromech and Veltigar. Will watch one more episode (that being Ragnar's death) then end. It's a nice enough end point. Hey, I got three season of enjoyment out of this, I'm just sad it's declined so much.

Though, I'm sure there is 99% approval over at IMDB, and critics are loving this show, and it's sad that you're all a bunch of small minded imbeciles and TLK cultists who can't see that Vikings is truly the highest quality TV out there. So clever, and original! 

;):leaving: 

18 hours ago, Astromech said:

Maybe Rhys-Myers is coming back to reprise his role from The Tudors. Maybe we'll see Henry Cavill too before this is all over. :)

So is the show going to be renamed then -- if it's Alfred it's no longer the vikings, since, unlike Ecbert, he had no truck with 'em.  Unless . . . Uhtred, renamed himself, shows up at the court?  I wouldn't put anything past the shamelessness that is Hirst.  :whip:

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Thanks Astromech and Veltigar. Will watch one more episode (that being Ragnar's death) then end. It's a nice enough end point. Hey, I got three season of enjoyment out of this, I'm just sad it's declined so much.

you're welcome :)

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Though, I'm sure there is 99% approval over at IMDB, and critics are loving this show, and it's sad that you're all a bunch of small minded imbeciles and TLK cultists who can't see that Vikings is truly the highest quality TV out there. So clever, and original! 

;):leaving: 

Whatever did happen to the General? He hasn't posted here in a while I think.

56 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Now I will have nightmares of a Vikings/The Last Kingdom crossover :(

If they just keep TLK the way it is, only with Travis Fimmel playing Uthred I'd be okay with that. Oh, and Uthred needs a new outfit as well.

3 hours ago, Veltigar said:

you're welcome :)

Whatever did happen to the General? He hasn't posted here in a while I think.

If they just keep TLK the way it is, only with Travis Fimmel playing Uthred I'd be okay with that. Oh, and Uthred needs a new outfit as well.

You don't like the 80s Metal outfit?

9 hours ago, Astromech said:

You don't like the 80s Metal outfit?

Not really, it kind of takes me out of the series sometimes XD That and the sword he carries on his back. It's just so... girly I guess? doesn't fit with Uthred in the books with his awesome helmet and the many rings :) 

3 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

Couldn't you have kept that thought to yourself?, now I too will have those nightmares.

It will the break the monotony of those plummeting down reactor shaft nightmares :)

Not girly -- the man bun and the back sword scabbard, as well as some of the style of the shoulder - arm armor, is more suggestive of cinematic stylized Japanese samurai, which doesn't seem exactly right.

Arm rings -- finger rings aren't that conducive to brilliant blade and shield fighting, one might think (if one is rich enough don't they wear gauntlets too?  I don't know much about these things, as you see).  But I do miss Uhtred's arm rings.  He's so proud of them, and it's such a deal when he gets to start handing out arm rings himself to men who have fought well for him.

Nevertheless don't want Fimmel playing Uhtred.  This guy TLK has got is fine.  And he's going to be more so as the seasons role on, methinks.

Fimmel is Ragnar, and Ragnar is dead, and it's death to anyone who wants a serious acting career to only play a viking, since like everything else the moment for vikings will come and go -- as it looks like its even doing on Vikings itself!  All hail Alfred! :D

46 minutes ago, Astromech said:

It will the break the monotony of those plummeting down reactor shaft nightmares :)

I usually prefer happier dreams-fond memories of making Yoda flee, throwing Windu out of a skyscraper window, and to stay on topic, Aelles foolish destruction.

32 minutes ago, Lord Sidious said:

I usually prefer happier dreams-fond memories of making Yoda flee, throwing Windu out of a skyscraper window, and to stay on topic, Aelles foolish destruction.

Mace Windu would have made a perfect apprentice. Have you seen Pulp Fiction?

13 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Mace Windu would have made a perfect apprentice. Have you seen Pulp Fiction?

Say a character from the unholy trilogy again mother f'er, say a character again mother f'er I DARE YOU!!! I double dare you

Haha, the Hirst/Rhys Meyers reunion already has a sex scene! LOL. I am kind of intrigued by his character, though. 

Damn, it must suck to be Alfred's brother. I foresee that kid having problems

Yeah, poor Helga. Sometimes adoption works, sometimes it doesn't. However, I did like the burial scene with Floki laying out Helga's belongings. One of the aspects I still like about the show is Hirst throwing in little tidbits from history, the sagas and archaeology. I didn't like Floki's exit, though, aside from the boat metaphor. I hope he's not done yet.

The battle was ok, but why break a shield wall to charge cavalry?

Ecbert was laughable most of this episode except for signing over East Anglia when he no longer has the right to do so. So he still has shades of his old self in there somewhere. He tells Ragnar's sons he speaks some of their language and then proceeds to speak it better than them :) I hope he realized St. Peter won't allow him to  pass through the Pearly Gates after committing suicide. Meh, he can just burn in hell with Judith.

I'm betting the last thing Sigurd saw before dying was Harbard :) That final feast was pretty terrible. Each kid had to tell us what they would be doing next season. Well, except for Sigurd. Not sure who posted it earlier, but Alexander Ludwig really seems to be trying to do his best Fimmel imitation.

Archived